In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

It might be "sun rise" and grammatically, yes there is a difference. But to be honest, they would both mean the same thing lyrically. To see the "sun rise again" would be to see the dawn, the light, the positive finally emerging again. And to see the "sunrise again" would mean the same thing.

I'm not really sure how this seems pessimistic/apocalyptic at all, but maybe I can see that in just the way the lyric sounds? Because the meaning isn't pessimistic at all.

Well, I meant, I feel it more pessimistic in the way the Sun hasn't shown itself for a long time and Earth is all dark and sad, hence the Sun symbolizes happiness in a way.

I you've got "sunrise" instead, it's more a word like another, just standing for "dawn" and I don't feel the same thing.

Just my way of interpreting things :loco:

I find it strange how all this revolves around creative differences with Jesper, and how he wanted to make traditional metal while Anders and Bjorn wanted to progress (in some people's words make 'softer' music). Why is it then, that with Jesper having left the band, Sounds of A Playground Fading it sounds heavier, darker and more like Clayman/Colony-era than the last three albums? I just find it strange. Obviously i'm missing something, somewhere :ill:

I find it strange how all this revolves around creative differences with Jesper, and how he wanted to make traditional metal while Anders and Bjorn wanted to progress (in some people's words make 'softer' music). Why is it then, that with Jesper having left the band, Sounds of A Playground Fading it sounds heavier, darker and more like Clayman/Colony-era than the last three albums? I just find it strange. Obviously i'm missing something, somewhere :ill:

It doesnt sound anything like Clayman/Colony to me, it sounds like ASOP with better production and better lyrics.

Read Krofius's post on that subject, seems the article translation didn't really make clear the true reasons behind the spilt.

Yeah i get that, Serbusfish, but some passages could easily be taken from that era (the intro of SOAPF, some of the other riffs we've heard in the studio diaries etc). A brilliant mix of old and new- many people are even calling the material 'the best since Clayman'.

Yeah Krofius is like the personification of an In Flames biography! :lol: Well, i can understand there MUST be some confusion as to the subject. I just find it hard to believe one member was holding another back. Perhaps Jesper, in his personal issues, found it hard to put his ideas forward and therefore his influence was overshadowed by others in the band? Either way, we see Bjorn's songwriting skills coming to the fore (perhaps bringing the old school feel) and Anders probably bringing the more modern influences- the mellow feel to songs (didn't he say he likes Dire Straits and shit like that?)

The only "old school" feel in these 3 songs we heard so far is that intro lead from A New Dawn and that second part of the intro of SOAPF, since first reeks of Metallica and doesnt remind me of IF even a bit.

I highly doubt that its just Anders who wants a more modern sound. All of the riffs we heard so far are way different than anything IF did before, in a more modern sense. And thats all Bjorn's doing I guess.

Dont get me wrong, if you honestly see all of these songs as something out of Colony/Clayman, good for you, but I think that some people just see what they want to see. No offense to anyone.

It doesnt sound anything like Clayman/Colony to me, it sounds like ASOP with better production and better lyrics.

This^

Yeah i get that, Serbusfish, but some passages could easily be taken from that era (the intro of SOAPF, some of the other riffs we've heard in the studio diaries etc). A brilliant mix of old and new- many people are even calling the material 'the best since Clayman'.

Yeah Krofius is like the personification of an In Flames biography! :lol: Well, i can understand there MUST be some confusion as to the subject. I just find it hard to believe one member was holding another back. Perhaps Jesper, in his personal issues, found it hard to put his ideas forward and therefore his influence was overshadowed by others in the band? Either way, we see Bjorn's songwriting skills coming to the fore (perhaps bringing the old school feel) and Anders probably bringing the more modern influences- the mellow feel to songs (didn't he say he likes Dire Straits and shit like that?)

To be honest, SOME stuff from A New Dawn could maybe fit in Colony. But as a whole, none of these new songs sound like Colony/Clayman material to me. It's like when Disconnected leaked and people went all "Shiiiit, except for the lyrics, this is OLD-SCHOOL!" and look how that ended up. Same goes for the Come Clarity album. I don't get at all how some people seem to think that Come Clarity sounds alot like the older stuff in new form. I can't find those kind of playful riffs and melodies anywhere in that album except for the awesome Vanishing Light. However, don't get me wrong, I like CC but I don't like that whenever there are some melodies, fans immediately say it would fit the old albums and so on.

Even if this album would be the best since Clayman (I think this will be the best since R2R at least), that doesn't mean it sounds like that album. Just that it's the best since that album.

However, I think you are right about Jesper there.

The only "old school" feel in these 3 songs we heard so far is that intro lead from A New Dawn and that second part of the intro of SOAPF, since first reeks of Metallica and doesnt remind me of IF even a bit.

I highly doubt that its just Anders who wants a more modern sound. All of the riffs we heard so far are way different than anything IF did before, in a more modern sense. And thats all Bjorn's doing I guess.

Dont get me wrong, if you honestly see all of these songs as something out of Colony/Clayman, good for you, but I think that some people just see what they want to see. No offense to anyone.

Exactly! Well said.

This^

To be honest, SOME stuff from A New Dawn could maybe fit in Colony. But as a whole, none of these new songs sound like Colony/Clayman material to me. It's like when Disconnected leaked and people went all "Shiiiit, except for the lyrics, this is OLD-SCHOOL!" and look how that ended up. Same goes for the Come Clarity album. I don't get at all how some people seem to think that Come Clarity sounds alot like the older stuff in new form. I can't find those kind of playful riffs and melodies anywhere in that album except for the awesome Vanishing Light. However, don't get me wrong, I like CC but I don't like that whenever there are some melodies, fans immediately say it would fit the old albums and so on.

Even if this album would be the best since Clayman (I think this will be the best since R2R at least), that doesn't mean it sounds like that album. Just that it's the best since that album.

I agree pretty much completely, musically In Flames are still a world apart from the Colony/Clayman days and they aren't ever going back.

Yeah! Though, that doesn't mean that they are bad nowadays. I just don't think it's comparable to the old stuff. And, as you said, they'll probably never go back.

The only hope we have of hearing the good old melodeath like the old In Flames is from The Resistance. Though, I have a feeling that band will aim more towards thrash. Didn't Jesper say that it would be like a mix of thrash and melodeath somewhere?

They said that it will be influenced a lot by classic hardcore bands.
As unpromissing as that might sound, I believe that Jesper cant avoid writing awesome melodies, so I still have high hopes for it. Probably the music I look forward to the most this year, not including the new Insomnium record :)

Classic hardcore?

Yeah, that does sound unpromissing actually. But the line-up is so great and as you said, Jesper will probably write some awesome melodies anyway, so it will hopefully turn out great anyway.

Yeah it's definitely the most interesting thing music wise this year.

Well I don't mean the actual songs, but the melodies are reminisicent, or some even sounds like it could come off Colony/Clayman, but of course the production is vastly different. Should the newer album had a Fredman production some melodies and harmonies would sound even closer to that sound. Obviously no one of the songs could be on any of the previous 9 albums IF has released since they all have different sound and production, but if we're just talking parts of songs then, I think some actually can. The strings in ''A New Dawn'' for example definitely reminds me of some Whoracle keyboard work (it reminds me off the keyboard in the verses of Worlds Within The Margin but a bit punchier)

Of course this is just my opinion though ^^

Yeah! Though, that doesn't mean that they are bad nowadays. I just don't think it's comparable to the old stuff. And, as you said, they'll probably never go back.

The only hope we have of hearing the good old melodeath like the old In Flames is from The Resistance. Though, I have a feeling that band will aim more towards thrash. Didn't Jesper say that it would be like a mix of thrash and melodeath somewhere?

Haha no, Jesper jokingly said it's good that people already know what type of music they are playing without having heard a second of any material, apparently they are going to play thrash mixed with oldschool melodeath. I doubt I'll be disappointed by the material though, as I don't think we'll get Japanese pop music so to say.

Haha no, Jesper jokingly said it's good that people already know what type of music they are playing without having heard a second of any material, apparently they are going to play thrash mixed with oldschool melodeath. I doubt I'll be disappointed by the material though, as I don't think we'll get Japanese pop music so to say.

Ok!

Yeah I think it will be good. Jesper and Glenn is a great duo, Jesper is a great songwriter and Aro is a beast.

Well I don't mean the actual songs, but the melodies are reminisicent, or some even sounds like it could come off Colony/Clayman, but of course the production is vastly different. Should the newer album had a Fredman production some melodies and harmonies would sound even closer to that sound. Obviously no one of the songs could be on any of the previous 9 albums IF has released since they all have different sound and production, but if we're just talking parts of songs then, I think some actually can. The strings in ''A New Dawn'' for example definitely reminds me of some Whoracle keyboard work (it reminds me off the keyboard in the verses of Worlds Within The Margin but a bit punchier)

Of course this is just my opinion though ^^

It would be really cool to hear the new stuff in the Fredman sound, with Anders' old vocals.

Well, I meant, I feel it more pessimistic in the way the Sun hasn't shown itself for a long time and Earth is all dark and sad, hence the Sun symbolizes happiness in a way.

I you've got "sunrise" instead, it's more a word like another, just standing for "dawn" and I don't feel the same thing.

Just my way of interpreting things :loco:

That's what I thought you meant, and that's awesome. Personally, "sunrise" and "sun rise" draw the same painting for me, but I completely respect and understand how words can bring different images to mind. When I write, I am very careful and specific about the words I choose because they make me think of certain things. So that's awesome that something as simple as this "sunrise"/"sun rise" thing can create different interpretations and feelings. This is why I love Anders' lyrics.

Also, I agree with Krofius about things being reminiscent of Colony/Clayman. The production and sound of the instruments are modern, obviously. But I do hear a good amount of Colony/Clayman-era riffs, melodies, and especially the long interlude in A New Dawn. And even some of the differing vocal layering in the choruses of A New Dawn definitely remind me of Clayman. So, to me, it seems like they are really taking a lot of the old and making it new. And is anyone else impressed with the amount of dual guitar work so far? I mean, the light parts and such, and mainly the solo in SOAPF where there are actually three guitars (someone said there were three before, so I'm not trying to take credit in this discovery). It's amazing.

For me it's hilarious how after every new album people say it sounds like clayman in some parts or whatever, always comparing the new stuff to clayman, claymanish that, claymanish this... people were saying that around CC, ASOP and now SOAPF... it's funny :))

So... What album since Clayman did In Flames make that featured a very melodic piece? I really can't think of any.
Now... A New Dawn... it's no doubt that it's one of their best written pieces of music since Clayman. Or as the majority thinks anyway.

Perhaps it's not Clayman-ish or whatever, but I just believe that they're having another change in their music (as IF does for every album) but perhaps some inspiration from their older material.