In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

Don't know man. Great question. Because no one wants to start discussing the good things there is no fun in that. Just destroying each other in a flame war over the way they've changed.

Is there any word yet when we'll get a sample of the new album?
Probably not for a pretty long while. My initial guess that I still think applies is that we might get tracklisting + artwork in the end of February. Once they reveal whether the release date is in May or June I think we can start speculate when we get the first single and so on :) I can't wait though, and the Bodom album is getting very close, only 1month, and maybe only around 3 weeks, and they'll stream the whole album on MySpace :) Oh and the Amon Amarth is not that far away either :O

I could never really get into viking metal so Amon Amarth isn't really something I'm looking forward to.

I'm waiting impatiently for Turisas' "Stand up and Fight" to come out, and then I've got to wait until the summer for Alestorm's "Back Through Time"

Although i'm not a fan of viking metal or anything as flamboyant as Turisas, i still like to hear Amon Amarth on the free CD's you get with magazines- they have some awesome head-banging riffs, killer solos and pretty catchy vocals considering they are full on melo-death style! I'd like to get into Amon Amarth a bit more- any recommendations for songs/albums?

They have great music, but the lyrics make me feel like a lord of the rings nerd.

Although i'm not a fan of viking metal or anything as flamboyant as Turisas, i still like to hear Amon Amarth on the free CD's you get with magazines- they have some awesome head-banging riffs, killer solos and pretty catchy vocals considering they are full on melo-death style! I'd like to get into Amon Amarth a bit more- any recommendations for songs/albums?
Seriously their whole discography. My advice is, just get their whole discography, start with the latest album and work your way backwards. You WILL like many songs. Song tips though that I love: Death In Fire, Asator, The Last With Pagan Blood, Runes To My Memory, Versus The World, Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags, Twilight of The Thunder God. That'll do for now :p

Please let's return to the topic and that's the new album.

Is there anyone who has more infos/deeper insights of how the new stuff will sound like? Someone said there would be much more clean vocals? Just a rumour or do you really know it?

Well, this is what you can find on various websites:

"According to Anders, this album will feature increasingly wide vocal registers and reduced screams and growls"

Now whether its true or not, I dont know, but it seems logical.

Well, this is what you can find on various websites:

"According to Anders, this album will feature increasingly wide vocal registers and reduced screams and growls"

Now whether its true or not, I dont know, but it seems logical.
Yep, that's basically what Anders said, I even heard him said it live on radio. He said it in Swedish with some other words, but I can't really translate them, but that translation is pretty accurate, that it will be less screaming and more cleans, since a vocalist wants to refine his instrument all the time.

Now, GIVE me the Artwork and Track Listing In Flames :(

To be fair, that quote from Anders could equally apply to ASOP. I imagine it will be the same kind of vocal performance as that, maybe even more geared towards cleans.

Come Clarity will be, IMO, the last album from In Flames which predominantly features screams.

To be fair, that quote from Anders could equally apply to ASOP. I imagine it will be the same kind of vocal performance as that, maybe even more geared towards cleans.

Come Clarity will be, IMO, the last album from In Flames which predominantly features screams.
I think so too, but I think that quote from Anders was referring to ASOP, not the whole discography, I think it was less screams and more cleans, compared to the previous album. Not a 100% sure though.

So after a year or so of not following in flames, i decided to click on this forum again and am greeted with this beauty of a news:

Sounds of a Playground Fading

Fuck me. Wish i hadnt clicked.. Thanks Anders.. Thanks a lot.

That reminds me of a few vocalists who undergo training with their singing (Matt Heafy of Trivium springs to mind- amazing clean vocals found on Shogun), and i say it can only be a good thing Ander's undergoing some improvement. Don't get me wrong i'm a fan of his singing and screaming, but the clean, spoken-word-style vocals he does now and again (Satellites and Astronauts, The Chosen Pessimist, other slower songs) are really grating on my ears- i can't stand it!

And i was suprised by the lack of clean singing during ASOP- where CC would have had a clean, sung chorus from Anders, ASOP had screaming and singing dubbed over oneanother, which drowns out the 'weaker' singing (making it ultimately sound like backing vox). I consider the only true singing on ASOP to be Alias' chorus.

I look forward to Anders' new and improved approach to vocals, and how much of a balance between singing/screaming there will be on the new record. I think Anders has a talent that he can build from.

That reminds me of a few vocalists who undergo training with their singing (Matt Heafy of Trivium springs to mind- amazing clean vocals found on Shogun), and i say it can only be a good thing Ander's undergoing some improvement. Don't get me wrong i'm a fan of his singing and screaming, but the clean, spoken-word-style vocals he does now and again (Satellites and Astronauts, The Chosen Pessimist, other slower songs) are really grating on my ears- i can't stand it!

And i was suprised by the lack of clean singing during ASOP- where CC would have had a clean, sung chorus from Anders, ASOP had screaming and singing dubbed over oneanother, which drowns out the 'weaker' singing (making it ultimately sound like backing vox). I consider the only true singing on ASOP to be Alias' chorus.

I look forward to Anders' new and improved approach to vocals, and how much of a balance between singing/screaming there will be on the new record. I think Anders has a talent that he can build from.
Anders has never had any vocal lessons, or practice. He never warms up his voice either. He has also said himself that he knows he's not the best singer. All his different sounding vocals is just a natural development for him.

Anders has never had any vocal lessons, or practice. He never warms up his voice either. He has also said himself that he knows he's not the best singer. All his different sounding vocals is just a natural development for him.

I think he'd benefit from from vocal tutelage to be honest. If he really IS going to go much more into cleans now a bit of coaching will work wonders not just for the way his voice sounds but the condition he can keep it in. Years of mistreating his voice have caught up to him in the screams department (just compare Anders to Stanne these days... no contest as to whose voice has held out better) but with the right methods he should be able to learn good clean vocal techniques at least.

The impression I get is that the new album will be mainly clean vocals with minimal growls ala Amorphis' Eclipse and onward. This isn't a problem at all as long as Ander's does undergo vocal training and drops the whining. If anyone wants to hear whining they can go to the cheese master himself Jonathan Davis. We don't need two head cheeses. We already have A Sense of Purpose that has this and a few tracks off Come Clarity leaning in that direction. If Anders can suck it up and perform like on Reroute To Remain then there will be no problem.

The impression I get is that the new album will be mainly clean vocals with minimal growls ala Amorphis' Eclipse and onward. This isn't a problem at all as long as Ander's does undergo vocal training and drops the whining. If anyone wants to hear whining they can go to the cheese master himself Jonathan Davis. We don't need two head cheeses. We already have A Sense of Purpose that has this and a few tracks off Come Clarity leaning in that direction. If Anders can suck it up and perform like on Reroute To Remain then there will be no problem.

Reroute To Remain = underrated album. Yeah, a return to that style would be most welcome, but most unlikely.

Reroute to Remain is DEFINITELY underrated. It's probably their best "new" album imo, and they don't play enough songs from it live.