In Flames

Steiner

Dyslexics Untie!
May 24, 2002
Rocklin, CA
www.google.com
Anyone have a chance to check out the new In Flames' album yet...Reroute to Remain?

I heard Soilwork play live at the Cactus Club earlier this year - the concert that Chuck actually came up on stage and sang "Follow the Hollow" with the band - and now I'm sorta getting in to this whole Swedish metal thing. Besides Soilwork and In Flames, what are some other good bands in the genre? Obviously I prefer it, but why the hell do Swedish heavy metal bands sing songs in English? :lol:

Funny how thins work out. I got Reroute to Remain a couple of days ago and have been playing it non stop. I was gonna give it yet another listen right now and the second iI put it in my computer, I went to the Testament forum and saw this thread. I'm sure you all don't care but I felt like telling you. :p
I think Reroute to Remain is a great album although more than half the people at Ultimate Metal seem to hate it. If you like In Flames and Soilwork you should defiantley check out Dark Tranquillity. I think they are better than Soilwork but not as good as In Flames. Also check out Arch Enemy. Those are the four main bands in the genre, I could list about twenty more if you want me to.

This album is horrible. Jesper saves all the good riffs for dimension zero. that's the band that IN Flames was originally (and glen plays in that band too)

Jesper used all his good riffs on The Jester Race. For good Swedish metal, you'll have to go back in time a few years. The stuff you'll hear now is mostly watered down, semi-commercial garbage. Some melodic Swedish metal recommendations:

At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
In Flames - The Jester Race
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down / Brave Murder Day
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson

Thanks for the info fellas. I have been trying to download some tracks from "The Jester Race" but haven't had any luck yet. I've also heard Opeth...they are solid. I downloaded a couple Dark Tranquillity tracks too and was very impressed! Thanks again for the recommendations, but I'm still wondering why these bands sing in English instead of Swedish???

I've been listening to a lot of sins of omission lately, kick ass swedish metal in the same vein as old in flames et al. check these guys out, if not for the name alone..........:heavy:

Soilwork and IN Flames have gone to utter shit.

No Swedish band will ever EVER touch Dissection...well, maybe Opeth, but they don't count as music (total emotional orgasm is more appropraite a term for Opeth)

If you want some good new thrash in the Testament fold, get Witchery or as already suggested, Dimension Zero. The Haunted... The Crown...

Admit it, Arch Enemy, In Flames and Soilwork just aren't as heavy as they could(should) be. Not to take anything away from them, though. I like them for what they are.

some more from sweeden:
skyfire- melodic death with keys
the forsaken- death
in thy dreams- death
thyrfing- viking/death i guess?
dont forget about finland:
kalmah- melodic death with keys
eternal tears of sorrow- kinda blackish melodic death i guess
children of bodom- you should know them by now
theres tons of great bands from those countires dude.
-neal

Heh, well technically Children of Bodom aren't Swedish, but that's ok.

The style is actually called Gothenburg. Bands included are

Soilwork
Arch Enemy
Dark Tranquility
Hypocrisy
The Haunted
The Crown
(I include) Shadows Fall
Darkane
Without Grief

i guess you missed the line that said "dont forget about finland" but thats ok. gothenburg is a city where a lot of bands are from. ive seen it called 'the gothernburg sound' but not just 'gothenburg' but thats ok. yeh its anoying when people are condecending huh.
-neal

InFlames changed there name...
there now called InFlowers. :p

yes the new albums sucks bad, and yes your right most swedish melodic metal is turning bad as it gets comercialized... and symplified... listen to dissection if you want real melodic genous :p and at the gates.
haunted is just dumbed down at the gates. btw.

hail complex music.

oh and to all you fool'z who like the new inflames album, remember this, if you support the album its the end for inflames, and say hello to inflower's [pop band extrordinare] :lol: :lol: :lol:
:) :) :) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I fell in love with the jester race. in my opinion the jester race is one of the greatest metal albums but I never like other In Flames works.

and
I've heard In Flames will act in a Swedish movie..

Maybe people's expectation's were way to high, In Flames new album, Reroute To Remain while alot different than previous releases, does have all you've come to expect from them. And some new twists & turns, Keyboards and a variety of vocal styles, that maybe has not been accepted to readily. But if you liked the new SOILWORK (N. B. C.), then this is right along the same lines. The Production & Mix, are alittle off, could have sounded better, alittle to bassy, & not as distinct & full sounding as ARCH ENEMY's(Wages Of Sin), or the new SOILWORK. Thats a downer for me, but I am just happy to get some new material from one of my favorites. I had to listen to the new one about 5 times, before I totally accepted it for what it is, & now I can not get it out of my car's CD Player. While IN FLAMES had been in the driver's seat & leading this new wave of Melodic Death Metal. Other bands have leaped frogged past them, such as ARCH ENEMY, SOILWORK, & THE HAUNTED, but I don't I'll mind IN FLAMES being in my backseat. A good album that's worth the time it took me to get into it. While it won't meet everyone's expectations, it defiantly will not disappoint, & grows on you........................................