In your opinion what is progressive music?

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
I can listen to music, and usually say if I think it is progressive. I think to me progressive means pushing the boundaries of normal music, doing something new etc. which is why it can be applied to such a wide range of musical styles. So, whats ur definition of prgressive?

Progressive: music that doesn't end up where it started. Instead of the typical 3-riff song, it continually moves in new directions, often (not always) without repeating old ground.

That's it in a nutshell (IMHO).

I think its music that keeps "growing" and the style/sound in general of the music changes with each release.

I asked this question of many people about a year ago and ya know what? I didn't really get straight answers. I came to accept it as being what I said and not so much as music that pushes the boundaries as you put it, because yeah. That would include quite a bit of music! That'd make like...Mr. Bungle progressive. Right? Although, I don't know jack about Bungle. I'm just trying to refer to the fact that it's way the fuck out there. (pushing the boundaries of music)

Both what Yourdeadgroom and Soul4Raziel said. I think it's more of pushing the boundaries of what that particular band has released in the past and constantly changing without repeating old ground.

Originally posted by godisanathiest

Change withing the music, or of music in general - ie. change of music within a song as YDG mentioned or pushing boundaties and changing music as I thought?

Both.

Originally posted by godisanathiest

Hehe, thanx :loco: Usefull ;)

And I seem to be having similar trouble Opet, its a term that everyone uses and no1 understands. I'm beginning to think there isn't a simple explanation

:lol: :lol:

And I seem to be having similar trouble Opet, it’s a term that everyone uses and no1 understands. I'm beginning to think there isn't a simple explanation.

Godisanathiest:

The way that Soul4Razel laughs at your response like he knows the answer and is laughing at your amateur look towards it, makes me think that he doesn't know either. Ya know? :p

Just like Itay asking someone to explain all the metal genres. I did the same thing when I first started getting baffled by all the metal genres. I just asked outright. I'd figure some metal brain would share the knowledge. Fat chance. No help at all.

For some reason, many metal heads don't like to help newbies figure this stuff out. (I'm not calling you one, just in case you get that from this. Don't!) They like, want to discipline you or something???!!! :rolleyes: :err:

So, I guess you're in the same boat. You'll never REALLY know what Progressive metal means, but you'll have a pretty good idea.

Here's to ideas! :loco: CHEERS!

Originally posted by Opet
Godisanathiest:

The way that Soul4Razel laughs at your response like he knows the answer and is laughing at your amateur look towards it, makes me think that he doesn't know either. Ya know? :p

Yub, I got that, but wasn't gonna say nething ;)

Just like Itay asking someone to explain all the metal genres. I did the same thing when I first started getting baffled by all the metal genres. I just asked outright. I'd figure some metal brain would share the knowledge. Fat chance. No help at all

I know, mayb its not cos they don't want 2 tell u but cos its so subjective? Or they're just elitist fucks ;) (J/K)

For some reason, many metal heads don't like to help newbies figure this stuff out. (I'm not calling you one, just in case you get that from this. Don't!) They like, want to discipline you or something???!!! :rolleyes: :err:

Calling me a newbie, how rude ;) :p Hehe Yeah, I get what ur saying. I think I'm working it out ok at the mo tho! The way I see it, most progressive bands don't have a verse/chorus song structure etc.

I'm no metal expert, but I'm pretty confident that "progressive" means two things.

1) applied to the structure of the composition of songs, it refers to music that has a "meandering" or "wandering" quality about it, in essence, a musical compositional structure that rejects structure and percievable symmetry (such as the typical the A-B-A song structure) Hence, "Orchid" we say is the most progressive Opeth album (this is open to debate :p )

2) applied to genres and "ouvres" of art and artists, it means what you and Opet said it means-- "progressive means pushing the boundaries of normal music, doing something new etc. which is why it can be applied to such a wide range of musical styles"

The first definition is infrastructural, the second is categorical.

Peace

Originally posted by E V I L

I'm no metal expert, but I'm pretty confident that "progressive" means two things.

1) applied to the structure of the composition of songs, it refers to music that has a "meandering" or "wandering" quality about it, in essence, a musical compositional structure that rejects structure and percievable symmetry (such as the typical the A-B-A song structure) Hence, "Orchid" we say is the most progressive Opeth album (this is open to debate :p )

yep, thats right

It's very simple..... When there's a genre of music with a name as straightforward as this... there is no such thing as an opinion. Progressive music is progressive.... it progresses from one thing to another without much repeating...... progressive music = progressive music... its a simple definition

GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR

This band is the most creative group of people I have ever heard make music.

For anyone who hasnt heard their stuff; They combine famous speeches, their own lyrics and mix samples from tons of shit, combined with the 9 members who play different instruments.

Possibly the most talented group of people next to Opeth.

Their sound is so complex, and its so fucking original the way the compile their songs together into one gigantic song. Constantly building up melodies, it's just so dynamic.

I'm trying to buy their cd's and support them but there from the U.K and I'm in canada, very hard to find their stuff. But anyways I made a shirt and I'm ordering their cd's.

Download - Anntenas To Heaven
The Dead Flag Blues
East Hastings

If your interested.

Progressive music can't be defined... so why don't we just list a pile of bands that we think are progressive???

Watchtower
Cynic
Martyr
Gordian Knot
Death (after human)
Control Denied
Dream theatre
etc.

-Sub-Prog genre metal (progressive, but not progressive)

Opeth
Meshuggah
Quo vadis

Godisanathiest: "I know, mayb its not cos they don't want 2 tell u but cos its so subjective? Or they're just elitist fucks (J/K)"

Later that night I thought about the definition of Progressive Metal and I realized that wasn't very fair what I said. I'm sure Soul4Raziel knows to an extent what it means to himself sort of like I know, but I couldn't really explain it. I know it's not that simple. I just didn't think of that at the time. No harm no foul. :)

Trapped has the idea I would going to mention. Just listen to the music from progressive bands. Shit, there are web sites all over the internet for "prog heads."

:D