Inferno Question

PrgrsveMetalnChains

Vocal Prince
Jun 18, 2007
FWB, FL
If all of the tab sites are correct, and Symphony X is mainly tuned in D...which is what I've been playing everything in; where is that damn signature pinch harmonic (squeal) at on the fretboard? Tab sites say its on the 5th on the D string but it sounds like ballhat. If it is, in fact there, someone help me to understand how to make it sound better whether it be string size, amp, or the pickups he uses?

Thanks.

Awesome, thanks a lot.

Now one last question...how do you get that high-pitched squeal off of the 5th fret on that string? It seems impossible for being so thick.

its all about how far your picking hand is up the string, experiment moving your hand up and down the string and you should find the right spot for it (y)

Yep. Pinch closer to the bridge, pick fucking hard and vibrato like crazy. Watch Zakk Wylde or that Adam guy from Killswitch to see how it's done.

The best way I have found to get that huge harmonic sound on the 6th fret it to hit the harmonic before you have fully depressed the string right near the fret bar. This creates a sort of hybrid natural/artificial harmonic that emphasizes the higher overtones. It's fairly tough to really nail it, and I don't practice that one enough to be consistent with it, but when aiming for that style of strike I can at least here and there nail a pretty true to the recording harmonic.

Alright, just incase anyone cares, I did a little editing and this is what we have.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9odzgl

First up is that riff with JUST the LEFT guitar part. Then after that's faded out, you'll hear the same riff again but with only the RIGHT guitar part.

Hopefully, this'll clear the air as to what the notes sound like on their own without anything else there to cloud your judgement, although 1by4by9 is probably spot on anyway.

Enjoy.