Influence

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
The more you are around something and the more you are exposed to something; the more it tends to sink itself into your psyche as "normal". Influence. It has many names I guess, peer pressure is one.

Take for instance the fact I am on a diet, and I know I shouldn't eat that friggin candy bar sitting in the kitchen. I should just throw it out to kill the temptation. But I don't. It's easy enough to fight off temptation the first few days. But damn if that candy bar doesn't look awfully good after about a week. "Oh, that candy bar can't be THAT bad for me so why not just a little taste...." before I know it it's gone! It's easy to convince yourself things are ok to do if you are exposed to it long enough. That thing just sitting there on my counter influences my thought process. Sure there's another part of me fuleing the fire (diet) but the candy bar tips the scales. Kinda like peer pressure when you're going through the teenage years. I was lucky enough not to have ever tried drugs but I had many friends that simply did it because everyone else did. Well, of course, it led them down paths they really never expected to venture down in life and many of them lived to regret it to this day (in various ways).

Another example would be MP3s. I used to be a big proponent of MP3 (still am at a certain level). Well, I started a record label. Over the few years I had it...I really learned what the industry was talking about with declining sales. I still agree the majorsar egreedy and crooked as hell but even keeping them out of the picture and looking at the indies things have gotten really bad. At first sales were up, and I believe MP3 downloading helped as a marketing tool. As the years have passed, more people have gotten broadband, people (including myself) have become numb to the fact that we download the MP3s, but then things kinda stop there. Before I would be buying all the CDs I really liked when I downloaded the albums. Over time it just became the thing to do, download, like it, that's it. The buying part is slowly desolving. I actually stopped downloading albums because I didn't like what the experience had become. I do it here and there but nowhere near what I used to. I'd say 1-2 albums a month any more. I was actually EXCITED recently that I waited for the Priest and Kamelot albums to come out in the stores. I listened to the tracks they had out there as a single and that was pretty much it. Man what a rush it was going to the store to get those CDs. It was like the "old days"! Haha.

Now, I will agree influence only goes so far based on the person. Take religion for example. There are so many levels of one's "faith". I am Christian. I am not perfect nor have ever stated to be. No Christian is but we all have many levels to our "Christianity" sadly. My thing with music is, I listen to most of what's out there, but when it comes to blasphemous lyrics/imagery I am immediately turned off to venture any further into that band's music. It's not that I won't like the music (such as Dimmu Borgir), but I am a lyrics guy. I like seeing/singing to what a band comes up with lyrically. The influence that their whole "thing" would have over me is something I don't want to experience. It's not that I am afraid I would all of a sudden wake up and discover, "Oh my, God isn't real!" or "I am so weak in my faith this music is sending me to Hell!" ... nothing like that. It's just that I choose not to kid myself or take my beliefs as a joke and delve into that style of music. We have beliefs for a reason, whatever they may be, and if you aren't confident enough in them to LIVE by them then why bother? I don't like to knowingly pick and choose which parts of God's word I choose to adhere to. I try my best to live according to me beliefs. That's notto say I immediately tune people out when they try to correct me or shed light on certain parts of the Bible or Christianity. I have learned new things I didn't know before because I choose to always listen. Anyways...

What other examples of influence do you see out there and how is it affecting us, or, how do you view influence in your life?

i view influence a lot like you do. every day, everywhere i go, there are those influences. i take them as options. these are all my options. and i will choose the ones that seem most aligned with my morality and views.

being a pretty thin guy, i think i'd nab your candybar, eat it and go to the store for a bunch more...

lyrics are a big thing with me too. i'm notorious for singing/screaming along loudly with music in the car, and i really like to hear the words... because to me, music is a means to express feelings and emotions that can't be put into words. instrumental songs are great, they say what can't be said. music that contains lyrics, from my perspective, shows and tells. and i think that's the best kind of experience. i hear what can't be said, and what can. the words reflect the music and the words reinforce the meaning.

take a slow, bluesy instrumental. i form my view on it based on what i think its expressing (and of course how welldone it is, but we're not discussing that). maybe i think it's a love song, or a song about wishing you weren't broke. if then, i heard the same thing with lyrics about taking over the world, i'd be a bit turned off by it because the words seem lame, and don't fit the music. this is how i am with lyrics. when you "remember" songs, the average person remembers the words and maybe an outline of the melody. people don't recall riffs first. its that lyric line, that's what makes the lasting impression and influence.

so, with all this in mind, if the lyrics aren't striking me as interesting (in a deep, philosophical way, or even as just a cool idea/story or something i can relate to), i won't be into it. and if the lyrics are tearing on something i believe in, then i'd have a very hard time liking the song, regardless of what beliefs it takes aim at.

Technically every single thing that happens in your life, in every single moment of your life, "influences" you in some way. I put my coat on when walking to school this morning, because it was cold. I was walking because, either down to genetics or the way I've been raised, I enjoy walking, and also because my mother doesn't drive so I've had to walk to places from a young age and thus gotten used to it, and also because even if I hadn't got used to it I wouldn't have an alternate means of transport, and also because my parents bought a house that was about a 15 minutes walk from the school, etcetc. I was going to school because it's the law, schools were invented because... we use the word "walk" to describe moving forward in a relaxed manner (ish) because... we evolved to do that because... coats were invented because... it's all down to influence. It all leads back to nature, though.

MetalAges said:
The more you are around something and the more you are exposed to something; the more it tends to sink itself into your psyche as "normal". Influence. It has many names I guess, peer pressure is one.

Take for instance the fact I am on a diet, and I know I shouldn't eat that friggin candy bar sitting in the kitchen. I should just throw it out to kill the temptation. But I don't. It's easy enough to fight off temptation the first few days. But damn if that candy bar doesn't look awfully good after about a week. "Oh, that candy bar can't be THAT bad for me so why not just a little taste...." before I know it it's gone! It's easy to convince yourself things are ok to do if you are exposed to it long enough. That thing just sitting there on my counter influences my thought process. Sure there's another part of me fuleing the fire (diet) but the candy bar tips the scales. Kinda like peer pressure when you're going through the teenage years. I was lucky enough not to have ever tried drugs but I had many friends that simply did it because everyone else did. Well, of course, it led them down paths they really never expected to venture down in life and many of them lived to regret it to this day (in various ways).

Another example would be MP3s. I used to be a big proponent of MP3 (still am at a certain level). Well, I started a record label. Over the few years I had it...I really learned what the industry was talking about with declining sales. I still agree the majorsar egreedy and crooked as hell but even keeping them out of the picture and looking at the indies things have gotten really bad. At first sales were up, and I believe MP3 downloading helped as a marketing tool. As the years have passed, more people have gotten broadband, people (including myself) have become numb to the fact that we download the MP3s, but then things kinda stop there. Before I would be buying all the CDs I really liked when I downloaded the albums. Over time it just became the thing to do, download, like it, that's it. The buying part is slowly desolving. I actually stopped downloading albums because I didn't like what the experience had become. I do it here and there but nowhere near what I used to. I'd say 1-2 albums a month any more. I was actually EXCITED recently that I waited for the Priest and Kamelot albums to come out in the stores. I listened to the tracks they had out there as a single and that was pretty much it. Man what a rush it was going to the store to get those CDs. It was like the "old days"! Haha.

Now, I will agree influence only goes so far based on the person. Take religion for example. There are so many levels of one's "faith". I am Christian. I am not perfect nor have ever stated to be. No Christian is but we all have many levels to our "Christianity" sadly. My thing with music is, I listen to most of what's out there, but when it comes to blasphemous lyrics/imagery I am immediately turned off to venture any further into that band's music. It's not that I won't like the music (such as Dimmu Borgir), but I am a lyrics guy. I like seeing/singing to what a band comes up with lyrically. The influence that their whole "thing" would have over me is something I don't want to experience. It's not that I am afraid I would all of a sudden wake up and discover, "Oh my, God isn't real!" or "I am so weak in my faith this music is sending me to Hell!" ... nothing like that. It's just that I choose not to kid myself or take my beliefs as a joke and delve into that style of music. We have beliefs for a reason, whatever they may be, and if you aren't confident enough in them to LIVE by them then why bother? I don't like to knowingly pick and choose which parts of God's word I choose to adhere to. I try my best to live according to me beliefs. That's notto say I immediately tune people out when they try to correct me or shed light on certain parts of the Bible or Christianity. I have learned new things I didn't know before because I choose to always listen. Anyways...

What other examples of influence do you see out there and how is it affecting us, or, how do you view influence in your life?

Looks like your influences are shaped by fear of consequences.

It's a little difficult to say really what one's largest influences are, probably because of the way humans think, as Metalages has highlighted. I guess if you know your being influenced in a bad way, most sensible people will stop to think and realise what they are doing is wrong. I reckon some of the biggest influences you will ever have you will never really know about. Saying that though, even though I think I'm quite sensible, I'm not really that strong when I comes to stopping and thinking that maybe I'm doing something wrong. I suppose one of the biggest things like that in my life is keyboard playing. I've been critised a lot for doing pseudo-widdly-guitar keyboard lead solos (similar to people like Jordan Rudess and Kevin Moore of Dream Theater fame, Jens Johnson, and some of the keyboard playing Tony MacAlpine does with Steve Vai), and I know, even though it sounds "authentic" (not meaning it sounds "good"), I really should be doing more original stuff on keyboard and not imitating a widdly guitar. The only reason I dont is really because I enjoy doing it, and I reckon I can get away with it, because I don't sound as bad a Jens Johnson, but I don't sound like a guitar either. Plus I've done a lot of work on my hands to get them very fast and playing scales and patterns (if any one here plays piano/keyboard, and heard of the works of Hanon, you'll know the pain I've been through), and I can do some pretty good vibrato/bends/tremelo-esque stuff on a pitch bend, which took a long time to perfect. It is still a bit of a niggling thing in the back of my mind, though.

Personally, in life, I try to be as open minded as possible (which is why I like pretty much every type of music, from Bluegrass to DrumnBass to Jazz to Metal), purely because all music is stimulation/inspiration in some way. At the moment, I'm crazy about Spastic Ink and Aphex Twin, but a few weeks ago, all I listened to was Dream Theater and Joe Satriani, and before that Ben Folds Five and Muse. It changes all the time. The same pretty much goes for almost anything else in life. Influence for me is a great thing; it allows you to build and gain inspiration, but also shows you alternatives. I think you just have to remain open minded for it to work.

Gallantry over Docility said:
Technically every single thing that happens in your life, in every single moment of your life, "influences" you in some way. I put my coat on when walking to school this morning, because it was cold. I was walking because, either down to genetics or the way I've been raised, I enjoy walking, and also because my mother doesn't drive so I've had to walk to places from a young age and thus gotten used to it, and also because even if I hadn't got used to it I wouldn't have an alternate means of transport, and also because my parents bought a house that was about a 15 minutes walk from the school, etcetc. I was going to school because it's the law, schools were invented because... we use the word "walk" to describe moving forward in a relaxed manner (ish) because... we evolved to do that because... coats were invented because... it's all down to influence. It all leads back to nature, though.

Similar to the butterfly effect.