INTERESTING CDS OF 2006 ROFL!

Gadlor

Herald of Homoerotic Fury
Aug 10, 2002
Aruba
So the year is half over. What have you guys found tasty about CDs in 2006? Honestly, I haven't been bowled over too many times this year. I just turned in most of my last paycheck for spankin' new CDs, though, so hopefully I'll find some good stuff. Here's the ones I've been likin' so far:

Andromeda - Chimaira. A lot more melody and less wanking than last time around. Good singing, good guitar, woo.

Amorphis - Eclipse. Obviously tasty. I likee it a lot. The new vocalist helps things along immensely.

Sabaton - Attero Dominatus. Good beefy power metal. Kind of stereotypical, but also fun.

Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses. Cool stuff. I especially like the Poe-poem-turned-song.

Disarmonia Mundi - Mind Tricks. I find myself liking this more than Soilwork's latest. Not amazing, but some leet hooks in there.

Firewind - Allegiance. A thousand light years better in vocal styling / guitar than previous stuff. A lot of power metal on this list - but I guess I haven't been impressed with much else.

Bal-Sagoth - The Cthonic Chronicles. Just rips me a new one. Awesomex5.

Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Before the Bleeding Sun. A few good ones, but not as consistent as I'd like. The good ones ARE mighty good, though. Lost Rune of Thunder esp.

Malpractice - Deviation From The Flow. Some really sweet guitar-oriented proggystuff. Spankin' good for a debut. Not exactly groundbreaking, but whatev.

Beyond Twilight - For The Love of Art and Making. Progressive stuff - a cool idea of splitting a CD into 43 songs, listenable in any order - of about a minute long apiece. I really like it.

Runic - Liar Flags. Good folky-vikingy-metal from Spain. Heavier than Turisas, lighter than Moonsorrow.

Kalmah - The Black Waltz. Solid, but not amazing. Haven't really listened to it much at all.

Fall of the Leafe - Vantage. First one I've picked up from this maybe-it's-still-metal band. Vocalist = five thumbs up.

As it stands, Amorphis, Bal-Sagoth, and Beyond Twilight are the best 3 I've heard yet. But as I said, I've got CDs comin':

SABATON - Attero Dominatus
LET IT FLOW - The Momentary Touches To The Depths
RAUNCHY - Death Pop Romance
MIRRORTHRONE - Carriers Of Dust
RUNIC - Liar Flags
BAL-SAGOTH - The Chthonic Chronicles
DAYLIGHT DIES - Dismantling Devotion
CRONIAN - Terra
GAE BOLG - Requiem
PHOENIX MOURNING - When Excuses Become Antiques
BEYOND TWILIGHT - For The Love Of Art And The Making
RAIN PAINT - Disillusion Of Purity
ANGTORIA - God Has A Plan For Us All
ETERNAL TEARS OF SORROW - Before The Bleeding Sun
CLOUDSCAPE - Crimson Skies
MIRZADEH - The Creatures Of Loviatar
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - The Locust Years
ANDROMEDA - Chimera
DISARMONIA MUNDI - Mind Tricks
THEUDHO - The Volsunga Saga
AXAMENTA - Ever-Arch-I-Tech-Ture
GREEN CARNATION - The Acoustic Verses
MALPRACTICE - Deviation From The Flow

Hopefully one of the ones I have not heard in full will hit me as hard as those 3.

Disarmonia Mundi's 'Mindtricks' is fucking amazing, i think it is one of or the best of 2006 easilly.

Kalmah's 'The Black Waltz' is obviously a solid release.

Blind Guardian's 'A Twist In The Myth' is also a great release, definatley one of the best of 2006.

Dragonforce's 'Inhuman Rampage' is one of my favourites, definatley not as good as previous releases but still a very good cd.

I believe Edguy's 'Rocket Ride' came out in 2006, i liked this cd a lot, surprised me it did since i'm not really that into Edguy.

Ensiferum's 'Dragonheads' was a let down for me, i didn't think Petri's voice fitted into the Ensiferum style too well, though it is still good music.

Korpiklaani's 'Tales Along This Road' was a very acceptable album! I loved this from start to finish.

Lordi's 'The Arockalypse' was great at first, got a little boring though, but there are some fun songs on it!

Norther's 'Till Death Unites Us' was great, clean vocals were a bit of shock but i think they were used well.

Scar Symmetry's 'Pitch Black Progress' is excellent, i had a thing where i didn't listen to anything else apart from this album for a week or so, i was hooked!

Tool's '10,000 Days' was a big let down for me, i think i listened to it once and just gave up on it!

So those are the ones i have listened too, here is a short list of albums we can look forward too this year.

Slayer - Christ Illusion
Iron Maiden - Can't remember lol!
Sinergy - Can't remember, something about sins.
Wintersun - Time (might come out this year but i'm not sure)

I haven't heard all of "Mind Tricks" yet, but what I've heard on it is fucking awesome.

Some goodn's:
Vesperian Sorrow - Regenesis Creation
Wyrd - The Ghost Album
Ensiferum - Dragonheads
Warbreed - So Cry Havoc

Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Before the Bleeding Sun
Elvenking - The Winter Wake
Drudkh - Blood in Our Wells
Forest of Fog - Abgrunde
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain

I enjoyed all of these, but the top 4 were definetly the best ones in my mind.

Well, i must say i haven't been impressed with new releases so far this year. I am not into power metal with high pitched singing so i dont know half of yours :)

Anyway, these are the ones i have listened alot to:

Kalmah - The Black Waltz (of course)
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - Before The Bleeding Sun (as someone said, some good tracks while others are mediocre)
Illdisposed - Burn Me Wicked (Death Metal - After the great release "1-800-vindication" which destroyed my stereo, they released a new cd. Very good, but it does not reach its predecessor. An awesome Death metal CD none the less.
Norther - Till Death Unites Us (This is the best release in 2006 for me. fucking awesome cd.)
Cataract - Kingdom (metalcore i guess, pretty cool imo)

Today i will get:
Raunchy - Death Pop Romance
Mystic Circle - The bloody path of god
I have high expectations, but i honestly don't think any album is gonna do better for me than Northers release.

Oh and im looking forward to some good music when sinergy release their cd, but honestly i hate the vocals. With a black metal vocalist it would be awesome. Good Guitars and music nonetheless-

Hmm. The only one that comes immediately to mind for me is Sodom's new self-titled. I was sort of unimpressed by the new Kalmah. It wasn't bad it just didn't hit home for me. I haven't really heard much from this year yet. The Behemoth and Vader EP's were good but I have trouble getting too excited over EP's. The new Terrorizer is pretty good. Haven't heard the new Sadus but I heard it was disappointing. Too groovy.

I'll have to check more of this out. I definately want to listen to the new Bal-Sagoth, just haven't gotten around to it I guess.

For me 2006 has been great:

Kalmah - The Black Waltz. Still listen to it regularly. Fav CD of 06 so far.
Norther - Till Death Unites US. This one is great, I just hope the clean vocals don't get pushed any harder in the next release.
Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage. Absolutely love this CD. Saw them in concert a few months ago too. It was a riot.
Disarmonia Mundi - Mindtricks. I liked their other CDs but HOT DAMN this one is so much better! Great album.
Edguy - Rocket Ride. I had (and still do) a slightly homosexual addiction to Tobias and his whimsicality on Hellfire Club. I don't quite like this one as much, but it is still just fantastic.
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Before the Bleeding Sun. Contrary to popular opinion, this is my favorite EToS CD. Every track just hits something different for me. I'm glad they are back.
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress. Another good album. Future is looking bright for these guys.

Some letdowns were:

In Flames - Come Clarity. I don't really know what I was expecting, and it was certainly lightyears better than Soundtrack, but still.
Ensiferum - Dragonheads. I love the track Dragonheads and it gives me hope that the band hasn't fucked themselves after Jeri left, but the rest of the CD doesnt really do much for me (other than the awesome Amorphis cover)
Dissection - Reinkaos. Too simple. Great melodies and all but there is no evil feeling, no tenacity. Haha and they are done as a band.....again....
Tool - 10,000 Days. Ummmm yea wtf. I think I enjoy 2 tracks. Too bad.

and now for what i'm looking forward to:

Wintersun - Time
Catamenia - Location: COLD
Suidakra - Caledonia
Illnath - Second Skin of Harlequin
Amon Amarth - With Oden By Our Side

Amon amarth is coming out with a new album? sweet!

Oh another album im looking forward to is:

Skyfire - album nr. 4 release date 2032 \m/ can't wait!!

froosch said:
Leaked. I'm waiting for the real thing though, so I can't comment on it.

It fucking rules. I'm getting it when it comes out though because of the annoying guy in the tracks saying 'This is the new Blind Guardian CD A Twist In The Myth'.

I love power metal and everyone loves Blind Guardian, but I downloaded a track once and couldn't help but to turn it off halfway through. What's a good track/album to start with?

So far, 2006 has been a great year for new releases for me.

lets start off with some of my favorites:

Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Before The Bleeding Sun: Much better then I expected it to be. Im still able to listen to it at any time and it doesnt get old. Im very happy they are back together and hope to hear more releases like this.

Kalmah - The Black Waltz: Allright, Ill admit, I do like their old vocals much better, and it took some time to get used to, but this is still a solid release with some great tracks.

Enforsaken - Sinner's Intuition: Shorter songs then their past releases, but still a good cd, too bad they are breaking up.

Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage: Amazing cd, I just wish the songs would be alittle shorter, Im not a huge fan of very long songs.

Disarmonia Mundi - Mind Tricks: I had pretty much only heard Fragments of D-Generation by them and really liked it, and when I heard this was coming out, I knew I had to give it a listen. Very good cd, much better than Soilwork's newest cd.

Shadows Fall - Fallout From The War: Sort of a different SF, but good none-the-less, covers are pretty good too.

Dissection - Reinkaos: Its not really one of my favorites, but I still think some of it is good, just gets repetitive after alittle while.

Disappointments:

Ensiferum - Dragonheads: I really like Ensiferum, but I just dont really like the change, its too different for me.

In Flames - Come Clarity: Not a very good cd, compared to what they used to be able to do

Looking Foward to:

Insomnium - Above The Weeping World
Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes

Lets just hope for some more good releases up ahead.

The Don said:
I love power metal and everyone loves Blind Guardian, but I downloaded a track once and couldn't help but to turn it off halfway through. What's a good track/album to start with?

Depends if you like their more speed metal approach in early albums, or their newer power metal stuff.

A lot of people start at the album Nightfall In Middle Earth, some good songs from that album:

- Nightfall
- Mirror Mirror
- Into The Storm
- When Sorrow Sang

For the more speed metal approach in the first 2 albums:

- Valhalla
- Majesty

My personal favourite album, and for most other people is Imaginations From The Other Side, all songs are great, my favourites from that album are:

- Bright Eyes
- Another Holy War
- Imaginations From The Other Side
- I'm Alive
- A Past And Future Secret (acousticy kind of song)

I hope that helps!

^^Indeed it does thanks! My local record store has had Nightfall in Middle Earth Sitting there for like 2 years, so I may just go pick it up. And Insomniums releasing a new CD? Blaha awesome! Any date set for that?

Wow u guys know alot more than me ^_^

Looking forward to insomnium as well, didnt know they were releasing a cd soon :)

Guys, Does all power metal have these high pitched vocals? coz i listened to one ensiferum (i think it was) song and music was rly cool, and at first it was scream/growls, but as soon as he started singing like his balls was being demolished by a bulldoozer i turned off the song. Are there any where they dont sing but scream/growl?

only singer i like who sings rly high is Vortex, i love dimmu borgir, and some of Borknagar is also pretty good, even though its clean vocals alot :) (dont flame me for listening to demon burger :( )

Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress was the best I've heard this year
In Flames - Come Clarity Better than STYE but not by too much in my opinion
Enter My Silence - Cooridnate: Disaster was awesome
Disarmonia Mundi - Mind Tricks not as good as their last two but solid
Kalmah - The Black Waltz the singing needs a little work
Strapping Young Lad - The New Black heard this one a few months earlier than its release, and it was extremely good

I'm looking forward to Mnemic's new cd not yet named, Mastodon - Blood Mountain, and Slayer - Christ Illusion!!!!!

If u like Mnemic, you should listen to another danish band called Raunchy :) they are awesome.