Into Nights Requiem Infernal Impressions

griev0r

Here is Nowhere
May 13, 2007
Florida
--Well this is kinda of like a preview/mini review but use this thread for your thoughts on new album.--

As you probably know I was one of the winners of the album for the Youtube promotion. ND was kind enough to send out our copies a little early. I received my copy last night and have been giving it some serious spins... I say without a doubt, fans will not be dissapointed - in the least. Had the record one day and probably listened to it 15 times by now. This is, in my opinion, ND's strongest album to date. The way the guys described it as an album with the darkness of TPHD and the aggressivness of Novella Reservoir is pretty spot on. Though I think it is both darker and heavier than both those albums. All the songs sound huge, and very powerful. Everyone has a different opinion and taste on what they think is heavy, but to me this album is one of the heaviest I've ever heard.

As a whole it is faster than Novella Reservoir, but it definitely has the unmistakable Novembers Doom sound so it doesn't feel awkward in any way. In other words, it kick's fucking ass. There are song's on this album that sound like if they played it live, everyone would get punched square in the fucking face in the pit.

The addition of Sasha on drums is great, he takes ND to the next level with his playing. I'm pretty picky about drummers I like but I really love what how
he played on this album. He was technical and heavy, but not to the extent of jerking off all over the place doing fills everywhere. I really liked Joe's
drumming but Sasha is a monster behind the kit, fits with the band perfectly! I don't know if he posts here but let him know he is one of my top 5 favorite drummers now!

All corners of the band are in fucking TOP game on this album. Vito, Larry, Paul, Sasha, and Chris, amazing job to all of you. I'm addicted to this album...

Some quick impressions of the songs without spoiling too much for your first listen:

1. Into Night's Requiem Infernal
The intro is one of the most evil sounding things I have ever heard. Heavy heavy song, and sounds very epic. One of my favorites.

2. Eulogy for the Living Lost
Fast! Tons of double bass and pounding riffs. The way Paul did vocals on this one is really cool and different, you should be able to spot it when you listen.

3. Empathy's Greed
You've heard this one, another amazing song to an amazing album. Love Sasha's 8th note double bass straight to triplets during chorus - awesome.

4. The Fifth Day of March
A soft ballad song, a personal ode Paul wrote about his father. Has a Pink Floydish feeling to it. A very beautiful, deep, and honest song.

5. Lazarus Regret
Straight back into the heavy shit. Probably the fastest song on the album, will be a windmill/pit favorite. Kick ass track.

6. I Hurt Those I Adore
A slower paced song, more doomy than the rest of the album. Even has a vocal harmony part then blasts straight into kill mode again! This song sounds like it would fit right onto Pale Haunt.

7. The Harlot's Lie
Another faster song, like Lazarus this strikes me as another good live song that will make everyone go apeshit!

8. When Desperation Fills the Void
3/4 ballad 1/4 extreme doom. I'm not going to say in my opinion on this one, because I know for a fact, this song shows off the best of Paul's clean vocals. His cleans are better then ever on this record, and in this song in particular. This song has the singer from Saturnus doing spoken word while Paul sings over it - it sounds fucking amazing. The outro to this song/album sounds almost Funeral Doom, with singer from Saturnus doing growls with the outro. I have to say as of now this is my favorite song. I've never heard anything like it and I love it. Amazing song for the ender to this amazing album.

So ND fans, you have something great to look forward to in the next couple days.

For me this album is perfect. 10/10

DAMN IT!!! I WANT THIS ALBUM MORE THAN EVER NOW!!!!!!!!!, by the way, larry mentioned a guitar solo he was really proud of on WDFTV, how is it? (Im sure its awsome, but i want to here a more about it from a fan :)

On The Fifth Day of March like I said its kinda Pink Floydish. At parts Pauls vocals sound very close to David Gilmours, and the guitar solo reminded me very much of Pink Floyd. He does the guitar solo over Paul's vocals towards the end of the song. You'd swear you were listening to a song off Dark Side of the Moon during that part...

Hey griev0r. I actually just joined the community a few days ago. Your words are without a doubt the best welcome that I could receive. Thank you very much, and I'm ecstatic that you're enjoying the album.

Hey griev0r. I actually just joined the community a few days ago. Your words are without a doubt the best welcome that I could receive. Thank you very much, and I'm ecstatic that you're enjoying the album.

It seems you are a Rush fan with a twist. ;)

I was looking around rateyourmusic and I saw TNR was high on many listener's lists on that site. And how many stellar bands, regardless of genre, have been ignored or bashed by, critics, website reviewers and reader polls? I know ND won't please every one, but I believe these people who rate ND low, haven't attentively and actively listened to ND. I don't know a whole hell of a lot, but I do know ND have shown growth with each subsequent release. And each album seems to me to have gotten better and better. Really, in the listening world, all that matters to me is what I like.

Well I should clarify more what I was getting at.....what often seems to happen to us in terms of these year end polls is people who initially rated our cd highly, both critics and fans, wind up not putting us in the list later on, and often the excuse I hear is, "Oh that cd came out in February and I totally forgot it came out this year!" Or something along those lines. I think usually when people make those lists they tend to be populated mostly with cds that they'd heard more recently and were still very fresh and new for them. So maybe with our cd coming out later in the year, it'll still be fresh on people's minds when they pick their year end favorites.

Ultimately as long as people enjoy the cd and will continue to listen to it from time to time, that's really what matters. But it is a nice boost when you get the acknowledgement in those lists. Really I care far far more about it appearing in listeners' lists and not so much the critics' lists.

67 hours until I have my Hands on this... I'm making sure to pick it up with enough time to listen through it once before I have to go to work on tuesday :p

Well I should clarify more what I was getting at.....what often seems to happen to us in terms of these year end polls is people who initially rated our cd highly, both critics and fans, wind up not putting us in the list later on, and often the excuse I hear is, "Oh that cd came out in February and I totally forgot it came out this year!" Or something along those lines. I think usually when people make those lists they tend to be populated mostly with cds that they'd heard more recently and were still very fresh and new for them. So maybe with our cd coming out later in the year, it'll still be fresh on people's minds when they pick their year end favorites.

Ultimately as long as people enjoy the cd and will continue to listen to it from time to time, that's really what matters. But it is a nice boost when you get the acknowledgement in those lists. Really I care far far more about it appearing in listeners' lists and not so much the critics' lists.
Thanx for that clarification. I'm certainly not as knowledgeable about music and the business side of it as you are man. However, it seems to me that if you and the band create and record an album that in your heart, you know is special and awesome, regardless of lists and such, your proud and satisfied with the achievement. And you know in your gut it's a top 5 release for that given year, I'd say fuck,em. maybe I'm just being naive or after all these year my mind is braincell challenged, I know quite a few "heads" that dig ND, and from what I've heard from "Infernal" that will continue on. I'll be blowin' dust off some people next week, when this will hopefully arrive in the Post. You know, stand in front of your speakers, with this completely cranked, and you feel your balls vibrating. Thanx ND.

In the old days but not now. I haven't received an extra in maybe 3 years. Then again, I live in Canada.

I've pre-ordered I think 5 or 6 CD's from The End through the years and they've always shown up beofre the release date. PLus you often get some kind of extra.

FWIW

Oh yeah bish!

r8hw1f.jpg

Just checked out the clips on iTunes, sounds very cool, obviously I'm not in depth enough to have an opinion worth a shit but the 30 seconds I heard of the title track was badass.

Thanx for that clarification. I'm certainly not as knowledgeable about music and the business side of it as you are man. However, it seems to me that if you and the band create and record an album that in your heart, you know is special and awesome, regardless of lists and such, your proud and satisfied with the achievement. And you know in your gut it's a top 5 release for that given year, I'd say fuck,em. maybe I'm just being naive or after all these year my mind is braincell challenged, I know quite a few "heads" that dig ND, and from what I've heard from "Infernal" that will continue on. I'll be blowin' dust off some people next week, when this will hopefully arrive in the Post. You know, stand in front of your speakers, with this completely cranked, and you feel your balls vibrating. Thanx ND.

Thanks man and of course the lists and reviews and shit doesn't affect how I feel personally about the work we do. But everyone likes to be acknowledged once in a while and of course the better press we get, the more opportunities it does possibly open up for us for the future. But ultimately in the end, regardless of whether we rank in lists or don't, we'll keep doing what we want, the way we want to do it.