Introduction and Question

jhg

New Metal Member
Jun 26, 2012
Hi, I just joined.

I have liked metal for years, and been with the same girl for years (listening to metal for longer, though). Her musical tastes and mine differ. I will listen to a huge variety of music, whereas she is somewhat narrow in her likes (but not without taste). I noticed that the heavier side is especially neglected.

However, I think she has potential. I was playing the Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse album the other day in the car, and I used some psychology to convince her it was good ("oh, I bet you won't like this"). She admitted to enjoying the overall tone and operatic qualities.

Anyway, she actually expressed to me that she would be interested in getting into metal, asking if I would cut her some CDs. Well, it would be my pleasure, but I don't know where to start. She isn't crazy about the non-clean vocals found in so much great metal, but I figure everyone warms up to those in time. So I want to ease her into it, like a child inching into a cold lake.

Lately I have been listening to Neurosis. Among my favorites are Atheist, Tool, Opeth, and Cynic. I enjoy plenty of metal, everything from the progressive side (Voivod, Dream Theater, Gordian Knot) to alternative (Baroness, Mastodon), to thrash (Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica), to death metal (Esoteric, Death, Cryptopsy). Of course, I am always trying to expand my horizons too.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Anyway, she actually expressed to me that she would be interested in getting into metal, asking if I would cut her some CDs. Well, it would be my pleasure, but I don't know where to start. She isn't crazy about the non-clean vocals found in so much great metal, but I figure everyone warms up to those in time. So I want to ease her into it, like a child inching into a cold lake....
I enjoy plenty of metal, everything from the progressive side (Voivod...) ...to thrash (Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica)...
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Try Voivod's The Outer Limits and Angel Rat or Megadeth's Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings. Or heck, The Black Album...

Alternately, try some traditional/NWOBHM like Diamond Head(Lightning to the Nations), Angel Witch(self-titled), Iron Maiden(Piece of Mind?), Judas Priest(Point of Entry, Screaming for Vengeance).

Definitely Judas Priest (Screaming For Vengeance, British Steel, Sad Wings Of Destiny), Tygers Of Pan Tang (Spellbound), Iron Maiden, Exodus (Fabulous Disaster), Death Angel (Art Of Dying), Anthrax (Among The Living) Gamma Ray (Powerplant).

I reckon that gives her enough stuff to let her pick the type of metal she wants to listen to (if not all of them), and from there her tastes will grow as she chooses... Thrash usually opens all sorts of doors, and if you're into power metal you'll get symphonic metal, viking metal, melodic death sometimes. If she likes the more traditional stuff like Priest then she'll go find earlier metal like Deep Purple and Sabbath and maybe even some doom metal.

I think the best thing you should do is let her enjoy what she likes, kill yourself, and tell her that I am a good friend that she should contact. I will skip the pleasantries and immediately attempt to have relations with her. Unless she's fat, in which case it's on Onder. Either way, suicide is best. For you.

I think the best thing you should do is let her enjoy what she likes, kill yourself, and tell her that I am a good friend that she should contact. I will skip the pleasantries and immediately attempt to have relations with her. Unless she's fat, in which case it's on Onder. Either way, suicide is best. For you.

I have some suggestions for you too:

*Call 1-800-LIFENET or similar service, if you are in need of help (crisis hotline). Sometimes we tend to project when we tell others to do things.

*Try some IQ tests, I recommend ones by Ivan Ivec (to see if your logical mind is in good working order). Self-knowledge is always important.

*If you would like a date, maybe try something like Match.com. I have heard they can be useful.

*Maybe consider a partner who is a little overweight. You could be the one to inspire her get in shape. Then you would really be a motivating, accepting, and attractive person.

Also, consider the quote:

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." D.H. Lawrence

Suicide is always best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you reexamine your lake analogy and realize that it's much better to just dive straight in and she'll get used to it without wading through a ton of crap to get there.

Don't coax her into it by sugar-coating it or presenting something that is inauthentic. Just burn a disc of your favorite tunes. It will be much easier.

Why don't you reexamine your lake analogy and realize that it's much better to just dive straight in and she'll get used to it without wading through a ton of crap to get there.

Don't coax her into it by sugar-coating it or presenting something that is inauthentic. Just burn a disc of your favorite tunes. It will be much easier.

That's a decent idea. I guess that saves me some time, just show her what I think is worth listening to, and if she likes it, good, and if not, oh well.

I have some suggestions for you too:

*Call 1-800-LIFENET or similar service, if you are in need of help (crisis hotline). Sometimes we tend to project when we tell others to do things.

*Try some IQ tests, I recommend ones by Ivan Ivec (to see if your logical mind is in good working order). Self-knowledge is always important.

*If you would like a date, maybe try something like Match.com. I have heard they can be useful.

*Maybe consider a partner who is a little overweight. You could be the one to inspire her get in shape. Then you would really be a motivating, accepting, and attractive person.

Also, consider the quote:

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." D.H. Lawrence

Lawrence was an authoritarian sypathizer, a pseudo-racist, ethnocentric bastard whose ideal society was a dictatorship that regulated the reproduction and social organization of the proletariat. Disgusting quote also.

Damn...you give good advice.