Iron Cobra Power/Rolling/Flexi?

Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Which version of the Iron Cobra double pedal is the best or do you recommend?
Also...do you know were you can get the Iron Cobra for the cheapest price here in europe?

Get the flex one man, it has a very organic feel and the strap gives it a little more spring.

Also, when you get it, let me know and I'll tell you a bunch of really neat stuff which you can do to speed up the slave pedal and make it as responsive as possible.

Satori

Musiciansfriend.com, or Ebay.

BTW, I have a flexi-drive on my Iron Cobra. I'd sell it to ya cheap because I'm planning on getting a Pearl Powershifter Eliminator with a strap drive soon. *drools*

"Musiciansfriend.com, or Ebay."

As I said...in europe. These guys dont deliver to Sweden...
But Its really starts dripping from my mouth when I read your offer. But it depends on quality and offcourse price...

How much for the snake?

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead
Ok...thanks!
But what is the advantage with the "Power" one then? It must be better at something.

I don't think there's really an advantage to either type, it's more of a matter of personal preference and perhaps what you intend to do with it.

I had a guy (he's a teacher) explain it to me like this once: if you are the kind of player that stomps the pedal all the time then go with the chain drive, it you are more the type who dances on the pedal with your foot then go with the strap drive. Also, jazzy players tend to like the strap drive more (which explains why I like it), but I don't think there's a hell of a lot of difference actually, I'm sure that you could do the same stuff with either type, I just happen to like the extra spring provided by the strap.

If you can wait and come up with more cash you are probably better off getting a second bass drum, as you progress in speed with a double pedal it will annoy you that the slave pedal simple isn't as responsive... but if not don't worry if you can't afford it right now, most descent double pedals are made so that they can be converted to 2 single pedals, something that is really encouraging me to run out and get a second bass drum ;)

Satori

I have an Iron Cobra Powerglide doublepedal... I love it.. I eventuallly want to get another bass drum again.. Even though its another drum to carry around, I feel I have way more control on two bass drums. I just saw the Nile/Hate Eternal/Origin tour come through here this week and all 3 of those guys were using Axis pedals. I'm telling you, those guys are fucking MONSTERS!! Especially Derek Roddy... Watching them made me feel like fucking Charlie Watts in comparison... OUCH!~

I went from using a single 22" kick with a DW Turbo 5000 double pedal to using two 22" kicks with a single Axis A-series Longboard on each. It was like learning how to play all over again, it is THAT different. I know exactly why those guys play Axis. They are unbelievable pedals. You know when you're playing air-drums and you are just stomping your foot through the air to the ground? That's what the Axis feel like. I seriously thought about selling them because they were so different. I was so used to working hard at playing that it was a drastic change. However, now that I'm used to them... I really dislike playing anything else. My guitarists dad has played drums for over 25 years and he couldn't believe them, but he still told me the old Ludwig Speed Kings were still his favorite, haha - go figure! :)

Nice! I only ever tried Axis pedals once when we opened for Deicide, but Steve had them set up so fucking loose... I know what you mean about having to work for years to get a pedal going and then getting on Axis and feeling like your air-drumming.... I didnt like it, but after seeing how fucking fast Tony Laureno could whip them up, I'm considering giving them another try. (I mean, w\you could barely see his foot moving! I stood right behind him and watched.. )

Either way, they are NOT cheap!! BTW- I love the feel of those good ole Speed Kings!!! They squeak like a motherfucker, but if John Bonham didn't mind the squeaking; I could live with it too!!:OMG:

I have a PowerGlide twin-pedal and I love it. I have the old model (had it for about 8 years now). It just won't break.
The "advantage" (depends on your own preference) is that the PowerGlide's cam (chain-wheel, whatever) isn't round. The axis is slightly off-centre too which gives the beater an extra bit of "sweep" at the end of the stroke. The flexi has this too, but a lot more. Tama says the flexi is a littlebit more flexible (duh..) but I never felt the belt actually stretching when I tried it. The belt is breakable too. The PowerGlide chains seem unbreakable to me (I am a heavy player and my chains haven't broken yet after 8 years of heavy abusiveness).

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead
Is the strap better for "heal down" technique which I use?

I don't think it matters a great deal... but you'd be doing yourself a huge favour by learning to play heel up all the time (at least until you've gotten really good at it). You can do a whole lot more playing heel up, and most of the greats do, and it's pretty much a necessity for playing fast double bass stuff.

Satori

yes im no drummer, but my old drummer used axis pedals, theyw ere sooo fucking looose that I was hammering 16th notes at 160 like nothing, i was like no wonder how these guys do it. I think its cheating..heheh Trym uses these shitty pearl pedals, and his kicks are lightning.

Originally posted by Satori

I don't think it matters a great deal... but you'd be doing yourself a huge favour by learning to play heel up all the time (at least until you've gotten really good at it). You can do a whole lot more playing heel up, and most of the greats do, and it's pretty much a necessity for playing fast double bass stuff.

Satori

Agreed. Risedfromthedead, how long have you been playing? I gave myself a good two years before I got a double bass pedal. It gave me time to perfect hi-hat lifts and such.

What's the deal with these Axis pedals? Why are they so different from other pedals? and so light to the touch? Is it some new design or something?

Btw, I was able to drop a lot of weight from my cobra slave pedal by taking off 4 redundant lug nuts from the connecting arm and the metal toe stop, all together it was quite a bit of weight (like half a pound or something) and it really helped make it more responsive. Also, I've found putting the slave pedal absolutely parallel to the master so that there isn't any bending of the pivot joints helps cut down on friction at the joint cuz the joint is no longer bending.

Satori

Axis pedals are SPECIFICLLY made for extreme metal, theya re made of airplane metal, and are super light, like i said its cheating, if i can can keep a steady fast double bass speed, and Ive never drummed in my life...its definately cheating hehe..Onefootblaster said it best, its like air drumming.

I'm inclined to think that the Axis advantage must come with some sort of detriment as well. I'd imagine that it's probably harder to place notes where you want them since the thing is so sensitive, and doing doubles (with one foot) with the traditional heel-toe technique must be quite fucked. I'm just speculating, I really have no idea, hehe.

Satori

Originally posted by Thorns of Sorrow
yes im no drummer, but my old drummer used axis pedals, theyw ere sooo fucking looose that I was hammering 16th notes at 160 like nothing, i was like no wonder how these guys do it. I think its cheating..heheh Trym uses these shitty pearl pedals, and his kicks are lightning.

Is not cheating:mad:

Originally posted by Satori
What's the deal with these Axis pedals? Why are they so different from other pedals? and so light to the touch? Is it some new design or something?

Btw, I was able to drop a lot of weight from my cobra slave pedal by taking off 4 redundant lug nuts from the connecting arm and the metal toe stop, all together it was quite a bit of weight (like half a pound or something) and it really helped make it more responsive. Also, I've found putting the slave pedal absolutely parallel to the master so that there isn't any bending of the pivot joints helps cut down on friction at the joint cuz the joint is no longer bending.

Satori

http://www.axispercussion.com/

Check the guy with the world record speed on double kicks