Iron Cobra Power/Rolling/Flexi?

Originally posted by Austin7
I'm planning on getting a Pearl Powershifter Eliminator with a strap drive soon.

I have the Pearl Eliminator, chain driven, though, but it's good nonetheless, and of course I can always change the drive if need be. I've had it for about a year, and I'm still not 100% comfortable with it. At first I had difficulties finding the right throne height, beater angle, spring tension, shaft lenght, and problem choosing between the four different cams, but once I took a few days and experimented with different settings I found settings that I'm pretty happy with (at first all I wanted to do is play the damn thing so I didn't take the time to set it up properly, heh).

I'm sure I still haven't found the right settings for me, and it annoys the hell out of me because I'm slightly obsessed with double kicks. :)

Could you fellow drummers be so kind and refresh my memory? What affects what - kinda thing.. beater angle and lenght, spring tension etc. It's all very logical when you think of it in terms of physics (shorter shaft -> shorter arc -> less energy used), but the thing is I don't know what I want to tune - I can't put my finger on what bugging me about it.

Would it be a good idea to revert the pedal back to "default" settings, like, 45 degree angle, springs at about 50% tightness and the default cams, and then work my way up from there? (For those of you not familiar with what the cams are: Pearl has four different shapes of cams which guide the chain or strap. The default one is a regular, 1/4th of a perfect circle, the others are modifications of the circle (wider arc), they give you a faster response with diminished feel. Uh, I hope that made any sense. :p)

Satori (or anyone else),
could you elaborate on the double-kick technique (sole-heel-sole-heel) a bit? I've tried it a few times but I just ended up slamming my heel to the pedal with nothing happening. :lol:

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead
Also...do you know were you can get the Iron Cobra for the cheapest price here in europe?

Have you checked Thomann?
They are a German music store (a huge one at that) and they sell Iron Cobras from 4000 SEK to 4500 SEK (at a quick glance, I'm not sure if it was the model you want). They ship to Sweden, and they are reliable and cheap as hell. I bought my drumkit from them, a few cymbals, drumheads and sticks, and everything was in perfect condition when it arrived. The only downside is that it takes some time for the package to arrive. You can also choose pay-on-arrival, so you don't even have to have a credit card.

Here's what I did to my pedals from the factory settings and I'm quite comfortable with them:

- shortened the beater shaft a little
- added weight to the beater by moving that weighter thing up the shaft towards the beater, about 1/3 of the way up
- moved the beaters a little closer to the head so it more like a 55 degree angle
- tightened the bloody hell out of the springs

Oh yea, one more thing about the heel-toe techinique, if you sit so high with your thighs resting on the throne a little so that it's hard for you to get the heel of your foot to reach the base of the foot board then it will be very difficult cuz you kinda have to use your heel (more so) to generate the first stroke, hard to do if your heel can't easily reach the pedal, hehehe.

Satori

Originally posted by OneFootBlaster
Hey Dennis-
Nice drumming man! I listened to all your tunes on mp3.com- good shit. Very DreamTheater-esque, but thats not a bad thing! Anyway- how long have you been playing? Self taught?
Thanks
bier.gif

Next Februari, I'll have been playing for 10 years.
I had professional lessons on a music school for 3 years or so when I started out. And recently I had a couple of lessons at the "Cleuver" drumschool in Holland (Hans Cleuver used to be the drummer in a progressive rock band called Focus).

But mostly self-taught, yes. I didn't do a shit at the lessons on the music school (it was inspiring though). The first couple of years, all I did was playing along to Iron Maiden and Metallica cd's :) I would lock myself up with my drums for 5 or more hours a day, 7 days a week, for years. I also played in various metal-coverbands and in one or two bands that played original material, just before I joined Within Temptation (for a year or so).

When I started playing with Marcel Coenen almost 4 years ago (and formed Sun Caged about a year and a half later), that's when I really started to learn.

"Have you checked Thomann?
They are a German music store (a huge one at that) and they sell Iron Cobras from 4000 SEK to 4500 SEK (at a quick glance, I'm not sure if it was the model you want). They ship to Sweden, and they are reliable and cheap as hell. I bought my drumkit from them, a few cymbals, drumheads and sticks, and everything was in perfect condition when it arrived. The only downside is that it takes some time for the package to arrive. You can also choose pay-on-arrival, so you don't even have to have a credit card."

Yeah...but its still about 2500 sek more expensive than in the US.
Thanks anyway...

I was at a drum store last week and they had quite a selection of double pedals. There was an iron cobra and a more expensive DW pedal set up right next to each other, so I got down on my knees, adjusted the pedals to be exactly the same, and I spent some time pressing the slave pedal of each with my hands to see if I could feel a difference. I couldn't. It seems to me the cobra is exactly the same as the DW, not just in responsiveness, but feel too.

Satori