Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

Hmmm.....that reminds me of something.....
Totally. As I said, we all have our filters. When you consider that...

• Maiden just doesn't excite me... I don't have any level of excitement over a forthcoming release
  • I almost never even reach for Maiden's classic works
  • Never been a big fan of Dickinson. I appreciate his talent, but he just doesn't do it for me. He doesn't send chills down my spine the way some of my favorite vocalists do.
  • Their nearing the end of their career
  • Tons of lukewarm reviews
I suppose I could go along with the crowd and listen just because it's Maiden, and therefore I'm somehow suppose to. But I just don't care. It doesn't interest me.

Many metal musicians who are 55 and beyond who kick ass both live and on record...
Sure they do. The list of brilliant Metal releases by 55+ year old musicians is clearly endless and almost always tops the works they created in their 20s. I appreciate that for some, the nostalgia component is an important one. For me it isn't.

As I said, it's just one of the many reasons for ignoring it. We all have filters. This is merely one of them for me. It's not the sole reason for ignoring it. If people were glowing about this disc, I'd spin it. But as I've said, Maiden just doesn't intrigue me any longer. I had 40 discs sitting in my queue for me to check out. I deleted all but ten of them. Might some of them make their way back into the queue? Sure. But my time is not endless.

BTW - I just got off the phone and Biff Byford and Lemmy both challenge you to a thumb war!!!!!
Let's face it, that's the only war they could challenge anyone to without breaking a hip. :loco:

Totally. As I said, we all have our filters. When you consider that...

• Maiden just doesn't excite me... I don't have any level of excitement over a forthcoming release
  • I almost never even reach for Maiden's classic works
  • Never been a big of Dickinson... yeah, he's got a great voice, but he just doesn't do it for me
  • Their nearing the end of their career
  • Tons of lukewarm reviews
I suppose I could go along with the crowd and listen just because it's Maiden, and therefore I'm somehow suppose to. But I just don't care. It doesn't interest me.

Well, I'm not gonna kiss your ass but I personally would be very interested in your take on the album. A non bias review of a Maiden record is so hard to come by considering how popular that band is. Either people cling on it because they love anything they put out or they hate it because it's not the same album they put out in 1982.
I guess we'll never know.....;)

Personally I try to listen to music to be entertained, not so that I can talk about the album on a forum. If I don't think that an album will entertain enough to be worth listening to, I won't.

Maiden is not capable of putting out a new album that is a necessity. They aren't imaginative enough. Bruce did. But that's because he broke away from Maiden. Maiden is Maiden and they aren't changing. They have nothing new to say. I like their recent albums. But if I want to hear Maiden, I don't go to them, not because they aren't good, but because they aren't special.

Maiden is Maiden and they aren't changing. They have nothing new to say.

I couldn't disagree more. The Final Frontier is the album I've been waiting for them to release since Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. TFF is by far their most epic, grand, and ambitious release ever. How people can find it boring, I don't know. But then again, those people have only listened to the disc once or twice.

The Maiden catalog (now 15 studio releases) is ripe with some of the biggest metal anthems of all time. Why people insist that they continue to manufacture more of the 4-5 minute balls-all-out tunes when they've done that for most of their careers is beyond me. In that regard, they can never top tracks like Number of the Beast, Aces High, Two Minutes to Midnight, The Trooper, Wasted Years, Can I Play with Madness, Infinite Dreams, etc., so why try?

When a band has been around this long, I think you need to step back and look at where any new album fits in as a whole. Maiden has never taken on an effort (album as a whole) of this scope, although A Matter of Life and Death was certainly had several epic tracks.

When I look at the band's career as a whole, TFF is the perfect progression of the late-era Maiden period that started with Bruce and Adrian's return to the band and the Brave New World release.

Let's face it, that's the only war they could challenge anyone to without breaking a hip. :loco:

LOL!

Bruce is in very good shape man.....

Biff, not so much.

It's cool. I know where you are coming from.
There are plenty long running bands that I like, but wouldn't purchase new material by.

Hell, you are definitely not alone.

Maiden this summer played what, about 40 shows, in front of 20K on average?

The new album certainly is not going to sell 800,000 copies in North America.

Boring album. Can't say I'm surprised as I don't really like any of the recent Maiden output.

I just don't see why people continue to follow their new stuff...it seems to me it's the same case as the latest Metallica album. People don't hype it because it's good and better than almost everything else coming out -- it just doesn't flat out suck so by default it's worth listening to because of the band's accomplishments 20 years ago.

When I look at the band's career as a whole, TFF is the perfect progression of the late-era Maiden period that started with Bruce and Adrian's return to the band and the Brave New World release.

Agreed. Maiden are doing just fine in the studio these days.

There are always going to be fans (and I am not speaking about anyone here specifically BTW) who only want to hear "the hits" and will always say any new release is sub-par.

Look at how many people instantly said Nostradamus sucks.
I guarantee that over 50% (if not more) of fans who said that album sucked never even listened to the two discs straight through.

They listened to the first disc, and never heard a fist pumping anthem so quickly dismissed it.

We have discussed this in another Maiden thread.
It applies to any long running band.
There are die-hards who will like ANYTHING they release.
Then there are committed fans who will give any new release a fair shot, and will like it for the most part, or at least have an appreciation for how the band is progressing in the later years of their career.
Finally, as said above, there are long time fans who have zero intention of ever purchasing a new album by any long running band. That's fine, since many of these fans still come out to the shows, but then bitch since The Trooper and Run to the Hills weren't performed. :)

Boring album. Can't say I'm surprised as I don't really like any of the recent Maiden output.

I just don't see why people continue to follow their new stuff...it seems to me it's the same case as the latest Metallica album. People don't hype it because it's good and better than almost everything else coming out -- it just doesn't flat out suck so by default it's worth listening to because of the band's accomplishments 20 years ago.

Hrmmm... I can agree with you on Metallica.
I think long time fans tolerate Death Magnetic since it is lightyears ahead in quality compared to St Anus.

Maiden is a different beast. They still write quality epic songs.
I think what is missing is some of the flashy production and catchy choruses that are found in the "hits" which made them popular to begin with.

Overall, Metallica, while better, are a watered down version of their former selves. I don't think this is the case with Maiden, to me at least.

Sure. But my time is not endless.

So, your time is not endless, but you do have the time to post six separate replies in this thread explaining why you aren't going to once listen to a new album from a band that "just doesn't excite" you and a vocalist that, "just doesn't do it" for you? Good grief.

Reads to me like you have plenty of time on your hands.

So, your time is not endless, but you do have the time to post six separate replies in this thread explaining why you aren't going to once listen to a new album from a band that "just doesn't excite" you and a vocalist that, "just doesn't do it" for you? Good grief. Reads to me like you have plenty of time on your hands.
I assume you're aware that it's entirely possible to post to the board while listening to music? So yes, I can post to this thread while I listen to something other than the new Maiden disc. However, I can only listen to one thing at a time and I have a bunch of things queued up that just intrigue me more. I'm simply participating in a discussion about music with some friends. Not really sure why you care what I do or how I manage my time.

OK...Maiden Fangirl reporting again, round 3...

The first part of the album is very weak... track #4 I do like, but sounds like a Bruce solo song rather than a Maiden song... it's enjoyable though.

The 2nd half of the album is actually quite good, I am baffled by this as usually a band usually puts their best songs on first...

So, in conclusion, not all is lost....

Here's my song-by-song:

========================================

The style is nothing that should surprise anyone who has been paying any attention at all to Iron Maiden for the last 15 years. But I think the melodies and the hooks and the atmospheres are just so perfect for my ears; in a week's time, I have become more intimately familiar with this set of songs than I have in 4, 7, or 10 years with their previous albums. I could easily recite the tracklisting and hum a bit from every song if required to.

So let's go song-by-song, a tradition inspired by very few bands besides Iron Maiden. I even give -out-of-10 ratings, where 10/10 is reserved for "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate".

Satellite 15... The Final Frontier: Two songs mashed into one track. Even though it's a single lyrical concept (a man dying alone in space, echoing Armageddon's brilliant "Crossing the Rubicon"), it's really odd they didn't make them two separate tracks. Just more of Maiden's awesome "you're gonna listen to this the way we want you to" arrogance, perhaps. Anyone referring to "Satellite 15..." as an "intro" doesn't know how to listen to music. It's entirely its own piece of music, and it's actually longer than "The Final Frontier" part. It definitely takes an experimental view of what a "song" is, almost the point where it's hard to believe that it was composed by Iron Maiden. The squalling guitars, pulsing bass, double-kick drums and fragmented atmosphere are things we've never really heard from Maiden. "The Final Frontier" is then entirely conventional, but a good song, and it gets all the repeating-chorus complaints out of the way right up front, because there is no such repetition to be found in the next 68 minutes. 8/10 for "Satellite 15" and 7/10 for "The Final Frontier"

El Dorado: I listened to it twice in YouTube form before the album came out and thought it was ok, but beyond digging the "Barracuda" riff, couldn't really figure it out. Liked it a little more when I saw it live, but from the first time hearing it in the context of the album, I loved it. It has a great retro groove, and a slight sliminess that fits very appropriately with its message about con men. 8/10

Mother of Mercy: A dark but driving "soldier of war" song that should have been on 'A Matter of Life and Death', and it would have been one of the best songs of that album. The sliding, strident chorus is unique and brilliant. The best "compact" song that Iron Maiden has done in a decade or more. 9/10

Coming Home: A nice uplifting soaring ballad. I bet they wish they had it in time for the 'Flight 666' DVD to play in the background of all the flying-airplane shots. It probably won't replace Helloween's "Goin' Home" or Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "This Christmas Day" as my go-to "coming home" songs though. 7/10

The Alchemist: This album's version of "The Pilgrim", "New Frontier", "The Fallen Angel". Yes, it's direct and nice to rock along with, and although that makes it stick out like a sore thumb on this album, it doesn't do anything to make a long-term impression on my brain. 6/10

Isle of Avalon: The beginning of the truly "epic" half of the album, and this is the biggest and most complex of the epics, covering broad shifts in tempo and atmosphere. The melodies and atmosphere throughout are just gorgeous. 9/10

Starblind: A driving, jerky main riff and an winding 15-note figure for the verse vocal melody are what make this song stand out, and the nearly 8 minutes pass in no time. 8/10

The Talisman: "Rime of the Ancient Mariner Pt. II"? This is probably the most conventional of the "epics" making up the second half of this album, but it's constructed so perfectly, and the melodies are so excellent, it's easily one of the best. 9/10

The Man Who Would Be King: One of the most 'The X Factor'/'Virtual IX' songs on the album. It doesn't have an overtly "epic" feel, so the eight-and-a-half minute length serves mostly to induce a melancholic feeling, and give a very unusual psychedelic solo section room to breathe. 8/10

Where the Wild Wind Blows: A master-class in restrained, confident songwriting from Steve Harris. In the 11-minute running time, there isn't a single moment that sticks out and says "look at me!" There are only a half dozen or so different bits, and none of them break any ground. But they all come together so perfectly, the tempos and the melodies matching exactly with the waiting tension evoked by Dickinson's low-key delivery of the lyrics, that the 11 minutes are just long enough to give us some empathy for the protagonists of the story. 9/10

^^^^ Thanks for taking the time to give your opinion on a song by song basis... I can respect you loving this album...however for me, the fun doesn't begin until track #4 and gets even better by track #7...enter extreme epics.. with a very dark flare... I like track #5 The Talisman but track #6-Isle of Avalon I still can't get into very much..not grabbing me much yet.

I rate the songs in this order at the moment.

1. The Talisman
2. Coming Home
3. The Alchemist
4. Isle Of Avalon
5. When The Wild Wind Blows
6. Starblind
7. Satellite 15….The Final Frontier
8. Mother Of Mercy
9. The Man Who Would Be King
10. El Dorado

For some reason MoM and TMWWBK is not making waves with me yet. The biggest mover is Starblind which was down somewhere near MoM and has moved up and might soon overtake WTWWB whose positioning is somewhat precarious as I was thinking it might reveal more with further plays but it seems to be stagnant. IoA might eventually overtake The Alchemist and challende Coming Home when I get tired ofthem cause the isle song has so much to discover and explore whilst CH and TA are immediately very cool but might wear off in time. I doubt The Talisman can be shifted from it's top slot!

One thing I do love about MAIDEN fans is that most are very honest. Nothing irks me more than when fans of other bands (IE - Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, etc), instantly review an album with, "Their best album since......" only then a couple years later to barely acknowledge the album's existence.

I seriously remember when Megadeth's WORLD NEEDS A HERO came out, people were claiming it to be the best album since Rust in Piece. Now, most people probably wouldn't use that album as a coaster!!! :lol: (Well, maybe in Megadeth's case, they have been on a bit of an increase in quality lately, from what I hear from others). Though, you know what I mean.

Very hard to take a review seriously when people can't keep from just comparing a new release to something old.

Very hard to take a review seriously when people can't keep from just comparing a new release to something old.

You hit the nail on the head there. Take Helloween as a prime example. I cannot begin to tell you how many people when picking up the new Helloween album (since Keeper 2) ask "I hope its like Keeper 1 or 2" or "Its not like the Keeper albums". To me the Keeper albums are the Keeper albums. They are a snapshot of the band at that time. I don't want a band to paint the same picture.