Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

Very hard to take a review seriously when people can't keep from just comparing a new release to something old.
Nostalgia is a powerful emotion. I think people root for these discs to be great, so they start off by grading the disc an A+ and work backwards. On top of that, they forgive all the disc's flaws, out of admiration and respect for the band. And by the time they're done forgiving all these flaws, they think their holding another masterpiece in their hands. But as you correctly point out, these discs were never that good to begin with. Consequently, they slowly stop being played and begin collecting dust.

Here's my song-by-song:

========================================

El Dorado: I listened to it twice in YouTube form before the album came out and thought it was ok, but beyond digging the "Barracuda" riff, couldn't really figure it out. Liked it a little more when I saw it live, but from the first time hearing it in the context of the album, I loved it. It has a great retro groove, and a slight sliminess that fits very appropriately with its message about con men. 8/10

A most excellent point about, "hearing it in the context of the album."

Really??? I LOVE the production on this and the last few albums. It just sounds so natural and perfect. You are actually listening to the band, and not the producer. If you know what I mean?

To me the album sounds too compressed and just flat. It's missing that extra something production wise that makes it sound more lively. It's hard to describe. I actually like Shirley's production on BNW and DOD, but the last two albums not so much. There are some really good songs on the new album though and that will always override the production, but I'd be lying if I said the production doesn't have a great impact on how I view something. It can turn a great album into just a good one IMO. Maiden has said that Kevin Shirley is the perfect producer for them as he understands the band and how they should sound. In my previous post I was just trying to say that you get to a point where things are too comfortable and too easy. I think Maiden needs someone who can say to them "hey your guitar tone sucks" or "this song is not very good" or whatever.

Picked up the CD today at Best Buy. Got a couple spins in and overall it's alright. I must be the odd man out because I really like the intro of Satellite 15 and The Final Frontier. I also like El Dorado a lot. I think they should have cut off the beginning of the song that sounds like 'Hit the Lights' and started with the 'Barracuda' riff right after TFF ended.

The long intros get old as the album goes on. I like most of the songs, but they needed to be cut down a bit. I don't mind the production of the band but Bruce sounds like he was singing into a pillow. The whole CD sounds better the louder you crank it! On my home system I put the concert setting on my reciever which gives a bit of reverb and I liked how Bruce sounded much more. More spins are needed, but it's pretty good. I may do some editing of the songs myself.

I've been hearing this a lot from a couple of people. Weird.

Not weird...FACT :eek:

And OMFG the last 3 tracks of the album are heavenly...specially the closer "Where the wild wind blows"....

After being so dissapointed at the first half of the album...the 2nd half kind of makes up for the dare I say "filler" first tracks

Picked up the CD today at Best Buy. Got a couple spins in and overall it's alright. I must be the odd man out because I really like the intro of Satellite 15 and The Final Frontier. I also like El Dorado a lot. I think they should have cut off the beginning of the song that sounds like 'Hit the Lights' and started with the 'Barracuda' riff right after TFF ended.

The long intros get old as the album goes on. I like most of the songs, but they needed to be cut down a bit. I don't mind the production of the band but Bruce sounds like he was singing into a pillow. The whole CD sounds better the louder you crank it! On my home system I put the concert setting on my reciever which gives a bit of reverb and I liked how Bruce sounded much more. More spins are needed, but it's pretty good. I may do some editing of the songs myself.

If you do edit the songs...please bring a copy with you...see you soon!

Yes, edit some of the songs, cut the crappy intros and you'll enjoy the disc a lot more. As a 60-minute disc, it's a damn fine album...

Not understanding the hate for the first half at all....
The only complaint is the first half of the lead of track, as it's longer than necessary, but once the Final Frontier kicks in, all is forgotten!

@ Zod - Nostalgia to me separates the casual fan from the hardcore fan. Most people go to see KISS for nostalgia and only want to hear hits, and couldn't give a rat's ass about new material. Maiden is NOT and never will be a nostalgia act. Just look at how they evolve in the studio and with their setlists.

@ Q - yep, you and I have had many discussions about how frustrating it is to be a Helloween fan. I think a large part of that too though is that Pink Bubbles and Chameleon were not originally released on the States. By the time Deris came on board and Castle made the albums available here, it had been MANY years since folks fell in love with Keepers. Most non-hardcore fans never bothered to revisit such albums.

BraveWords.com's UK scribe Dom Lawson has reviewed IRON MAIDEN's anxiously-awaited new album, The Final Frontier, which is out now in all territories. Lawson rates the album 9.5/10 - here is his synopsis:

http://www.bravewords.com/news/144662

"But this album is not intended to placate anyone but the men who created it, and with songs like 'Isle Of Avalon' and 'Where The Wild Wind Blows', Maiden are proudly proclaiming the bloody-minded determination that has enabled them to survive with dignity in tact after so many years of active service."

@ Zod - Nostalgia to me separates the casual fan from the hardcore fan. Most people go to see KISS for nostalgia and only want to hear hits, and couldn't give a rat's ass about new material. Maiden is NOT and never will be a nostalgia act. Just look at how they evolve in the studio and with their setlists.
I think the term "nostalgia" can carry with it a negative connotation. However, any band of Maiden's vintage has a certain nostalgia factor to them. That's in no way a knock on them, that's just reality.

At any given Maiden show, there's a good number of people who are there specifically to hear the music they grew up on. Let's face it, there's a reason "Run to the Hills" gets a far bigger crowd reaction than "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg".

While Maiden has done a good job staying relevant, much better than most of the bands from their generation, the reason they draw 20x (or 50x, or 100x) what Nightwish, Blind Gaurdian and Iced Earth do, is because of who they were in the 80s. Again, that's not a shot at them. They earned that. Their music has a staying power and a relevance that few other bands can match. However, the reason Maiden will sell 800K copies of the new CD (or whatever the final number is) and the reason they will draw 20,000 to MSG, is nostalgia (or whatever you wish to call it).

True. And the reason they draw more than other bands that used to draw equal to them in the 80s, is because they've continued to put out music that people enjoy, to some degree, new listeners and old (okay I'm kind of guessing this is true, based on some observations but I have little knowledge of how well they drew in the 80s and who exactly would compare best to them). At the very least, the new music keepds the guys in Maiden interested in continuing on playing music, and people should respect that.

True. And the reason they draw more than other bands that used to draw equal to them in the 80s, is because they've continued to put out music that people enjoy, to some degree, new listeners and old (okay I'm kind of guessing this is true, based on some observations but I have little knowledge of how well they drew in the 80s and who exactly would compare best to them). At the very least, the new music keepds the guys in Maiden interested in continuing on playing music, and people should respect that.
Agreed.

Zod - I agree there are plenty of people who go see Maiden because they liked them growing up, and barely know they still put out CDs. So, yes, to some fans they are a nostalgia act. The point though I am trying to make is as a band they don't operate the way that Aerosmith or KISS does, for example, where you do 5 or more tours in between albums, since the majority of the fanbase isn't interested in new material.

Also, Maiden continuously gains new and younger fans every album and every tour. This is with ZERO radio or MTV play, which is quite impressive.

Maybe the marketing does help, since any kid in the mall sees all the Maiden merch at Hot Topic and Spencers.

The point though I am trying to make is as a band they don't operate the way that Aerosmith or KISS does, for example, where you do 5 or more tours in between albums, since the majority of the fanbase isn't interested in new material.
True.

Also, Maiden continuously gains new and younger fans every album and every tour. This is with ZERO radio or MTV play, which is quite impressive.
Agreed again. It is impressive.

So I suppose we have to ask ourselves is how Maiden does it...

I think it's kind of how the Grateful Dead remained as a going concern for so many years.

Maiden is the world's premiere live heavy metal band.
Their performances are legendary.
They are one of those bands that everyone has to see once, even if you aren't a big fan of.

I think that word spreads and everytime they tour, it's a show that all metal / rock fans want to check out.

Sure, marketing helps, but I am not so sure I see as many young kids wearing shopping mall retro Maiden shirts, as you do with bands like Zeppelin, AC/DC, Hendrix, etc.