IRs and Nebula programs of guitar cabs - Kalthallen Cabs released

Here is my quick try with these !

JMP-1 version :
TEST KathallenCabs JMP-1 MASTER.mp3
Chain : Schecter 006 Blackjack > Maxon OD-808 > Marshall JMP-1 > Avalon U5 > Portico 5012 Pre > Nebula with 001a-SM57-V30-4x12 program

This one is not so good : I think it's a bit undergained and thin/nasal sounding but it's my fault, I need to learn to tweak better my JMP-1.

Nick Crow's 8505 version :
TEST KathallenCabs 8505 MASTER.mp3
Chain : Schecter 006 Blackjack > Avalon U5 > Portico 5012 Pre > TSE 808 > Nick Crow's 8505 > Nebula with 001a-SM57-V30-4x12 program

This one is better, fuller (more gain too), and more generic/modern sounding too due to the 5150 sim.

I'll do some more tests with my JMP-1, I think I can improve my tone a lot.
Very cool programms indeed, I need some time to figure out if it's any better than regular IR's, but I noticed that guitar sound was very easy to mix.

Thanks again for this great library !

Cool guys!

@chester
Since it were all "b" (96 kHz) programs that were buggy for you, I would like you to open them in a 96 kHz project and see if they are still buggy.
Maybe your rate cnv isn't set high enough to translate it into 44.1, if you worked in that sample rate.

@truie
I thought the jmp-1 was quite good sounding.
Did you go out of the jmp-1 over a Di box (Hi-z) or line in? I figured you should definatley use a Hi-z if you go pre-amp out, cause when you go line-in the signal loses bass.

Yeah, I always put the Avalon U5 + Portico 5012 between the JMP-1 and my Fireface400, sounds a bit better !
Actually the JMP-1 version is not that bad, it sounds very Marshall / oldschool.
It will be perfect for death metal and everything that needs to sound not too clean and modern.

I'll do another test riff with HM-2 + JMP-1 + your library.

EDIT : I edited the gear chain, it was not completely accurate.

I gave them yesterday a try. Great work! They really are worth some money (as little as it may be).

Also, this topic might need to be stickied, IMHO, should you ever update your library... Whatever. Have a beer and be confident on your work being really appreciated.

Regards!

Really like them ( Nebula.... ), tbh: go rent some more cabs ( standard ones....Mesa and stuff...), do some nice ir´s/nebula programms and sell them.

Regards

I got some incentive for your downloaders to give you donations.

Simply say that if you get enough donations to subsidize it, you'll rent all kinds of cabs, and sample them with this process. Either that or rent them and just outright charge for the next pack!

Your impulses are awesome, and are go-to's of mine now. They are definitely worth more than many which are already on the commercial market.

Also, it's possible I'll have a Mr Hector and if I'm really lucky a Framus Cobra to help us test the next batch!

Looks like a lot of work into this, I'll definitely give the IR's a try. I made impulses one time and they totally suck even after documenting everything etc, so I really do appreciate the work put into doing it.

Wow Tony that sounds pretty awesome if you ask me.
The Nebula part is sounding just a bit wider and more open.

Guy I got got a mail from a mixing "celebrity" regarding my IRs! He dig's them and wanted to tell me more detailed which he likes most later. So happy right now :)

About the future plan.
Tbh I wanted to interact a bit more with you guys. I'd like to know what mic's on which speakers you liked the most.
Or is all you really want a Mesa OS with a '57? :)

Here is my HM2 test !
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6120012/Ultimate%20Metal/TEST%20KathallenCabs%20HM2%200121%20MASTER.mp3

Pretty sludgy and mids are all over the place but that's the sound I was aiming for.
I feel a bit of pumping but I don't know where it comes from (obviously kick and/or bass and/or master comp) ; anyway I mixed/mastered this quickly so it's not that important.

2 tracks of Schecter BJ 006 > HM2 > JMP-1 > 017a-MD421-G12T75-4x12 (Nebula)
2 tracks of Schecter BJ 006 > OD808 > JMP-1 > 001a-SM57-V30-4x12 (Nebula)

I still need to try all the mic positions / speakers before telling you the ones I prefer.
Congrats for the mail, you deserve it ! Can you tell us more about this guy ? :D

Wow Tony that sounds pretty awesome if you ask me.
The Nebula part is sounding just a bit wider and more open.

Guy I got got a mail from a mixing "celebrity" regarding my IRs! He dig's them and wanted to tell me more detailed which he likes most later. So happy right now :)

About the future plan.
Tbh I wanted to interact a bit more with you guys. I'd like to know what mic's on which speakers you liked the most.
Or is all you really want a Mesa OS with a '57? :)

Dude, srsly ... your Nebula´s are my go to "IR"´s now ....so freaking nice. Go rent some really nice equipment and do a commercial library. Srsly....dunno....go visit Lasse´s place :D ....

Regards

Sounds pretty good from the small tests that I've done so far. Like program 3A and 3B the most at the moment. I have only checked the SM-57 positions though. Definitely the most real sounding cab simulations I've heard so far.

If you would be able to rent an ENGL Pro V30, a Marshall Dave Mustaine Cabinet and the obligatory Mesa OS and make similar Nebula programs you would have the ultimate metal/rock cab sim. I would be very surprised if you wouldn't be able to make some good money out of it. I for one would definitely buy it.

Dude, srsly ... your Nebula´s are my go to "IR"´s now ....so freaking nice. Go rent some really nice equipment and do a commercial library. Srsly....dunno....go visit Lasse´s place :D ....

Regards

Hehe, I actually thought about that. But I think Lasse is not excatly my biggest fan. :)

I got a lot of great feedback, also at the Nebula and Fractal audio forums, so it seems the method is a success.
Maybe there's somebody interested in a collaboration.
A commercial library seems the way to go, because the donation thing is...well... :err:
Thanks so far for all the nice clips.

@TRUIE Can I use one of your clips for a soundsample? Please PM me for credits.