Is anyone familiar with the program Audacity?

Det Som Engang Var

Viking Bastard
Jun 3, 2005
Houston, TX
I was trying to figure out why I can't mix tracks on it because theres no volume control, it said that it will mix any tracks you put in it by itself.

Does it really do that?

imo yeah, out of all the DAW's i have used that one makes the most sense to me, but it's all preference really my other friend cant do shit on Cubase but somehow figured out Protools.

Thanks a ton guys. I'll just have to fuck around with them.

I think "Reason" came out better than my other songs because I didn't put bass on it. I notice it didn't get that clipping noise, I know this is going to sound horrible but...I'm thinking of just leaving bass out of all my songs from now on. I think the bass under palm muting is what was making that muffle/clipping sound, because it was making my tin whistle clip until I took it off.

Or maybe it's because I'm using a bass emulator on my guitar. Hmm.

Take it from someone whos been through 1000000 DAW's to find the one that works for what I need. Thats Reaper!

Reaper is free for personal use and liscencing is extrmemly cheap for commercial use.

I been through them all:
Pro Tools
Audition
Sonar
Cuebase
Logic

In my honest opinion Reapers takes the best of all of them and puts it in 1 package. Try it out, I am sure you will love it.

Reaper was the second easiest DAW for me to use, im thinking about getting it again it's supposed to be really awesome now, plus it has support for 64 bit systems and i would assume has multi core support.

plus its fucking free can't beat that.

EDIT: well it was free....when the hell did that happen? it's 60 dollars for a personal use key and like 225 for a commercial key....

yeah very small i had this program before but never used it so it said i had the program for like 300 days and used it 10 minutes lol but it has a "keep evaluating button so w/e.

yeah i used to pirate but theres so many problems with trying to crack that i gave up. so i bought Cubase and SSD and haven't had much need for anything else.

Yeah, gotta invest a couple of bucks into some decent recording software. You can't limp along with crap forever.

True enough, but I don't make much money. :(

I was thinking once I have enough songs, maybe I could just take the drum programming and vocal tracks, buy some studio time, and rerecord the guitars there to make things sound better. Or hell, if it ever came to that, I guess I could hire a session drummer.

I don't know, I know my music is far from good. I just do it for fun. And if I get to be an old man without being killed/killing myself, I can look back and know my life wasn't a complete waste of time.

I think a better keyboard should be my primary objective, if I had a good synth/organ sound I could do so much more than this folk metal shit. The idea of recording only rythem guitars, then using a keyboard for the lead is very appealing to me. I feel...pigeon holed not having one. (Well, I have a very cheap and old Roland). I'm not a lead guitarist, but lack of keyboard is kind of forcing me to be.

well if you don't have an audio interface thats definitely the first thing, BUT if your just doing guitar and vokillz go for a POD X3, it's an audio interface AND an amp simulator, that cover i put up in guitarguru777's thread (http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8794304) was done with a Line6POD though a shitty laptop. it's like 400 bucks but very much worth it.

no thats a partial cover of a parkway drive song, friends playing guitar and i mixed the drums (the actual tab is from a guitar pro file) so it was actually pretty lazy on my part, i just threw on bass (Reason) and drums (SSD) and that was the outcome. fucking beefy tone he made though took him a long time to tweak that to his liking.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Ableton Live as an alternative. That's a great piece of dynamic and intuitive composition and recording software... Once you get the hang of the odd and seemingly fucked up interface.