Is anyone familiar with the program Audacity?

Ya but the learning curve sucks
stress-balls-copy.jpg

reaper is by far the best daw going today next to protools and logic tbh. once there's an easier way to mimmick beat detective, it will be a contender for protools.

get reaper and stop using shitty audacity.

actually there is. audacity is a really shitty one. reaper is far better (especially considering that it's free.) and no, most daws do not have the same capabilities. similar, maybe. there's a way to edit drums in reaper ala beat detective, but it isn't beat detective (nor does it work in groups iirc.) etc etc etc

tbh i found pro tools to be shit because i couldn't figure it out, same with Logic, Cubase can do everything those programs can do but it is easier to understand for men, same with Protools and my friend, he figured it out pretty easily and it can do everything Cubase can.

the difference is they are stronger in different areas, cubase does MIDI work much easier apparently and protools is known for its recording side.

what is beat detective does that kind of quantinize audio track like you would MIDI?

beat detective iirc is basically a quantizer/time warper. basically you select a region that you want to "capture", then it'll stretch/move/etc the rest of the audio to that tempo and onto the grid. it's very useful for drum editing but I know some producers will also use it on bass/guitar tracks too.