is borknagar viking metal????

Yes, Øystein's second post. :) And a definite one at that. Nope, I wouldn't say Borknagar are Viking metal either. They can't be labelled like that anyway. This band has so many diverse influences.

I would consider "Eye of Oden", "Dawn of the End" and "Tale of Pagan Tongue" as Viking Metal... Well, if Oystein himself says it's not like that, there won't be any chance to proove him wrong. Maybe classifying something as VM is a thing of perspective.

Maybe they have beliefs similar to vikings, but the musical style is definately not Viking metal. I would call it epic black metal if it must be categorized.

I more think that it sounds "nordic".

Borknagar's style is not viking, but somehow "epic scandinavian". And their lyrics is - as far as I know - not based on the viking mythology like viking metal band's is.

And well, their music may be a little similar to viking metal, but that could be because it is influenced by the same landscapes and nature or so.

Well, what do you think is "Eye of Oden" then about if not viking mythology? At least I think it has to be mythology... I never saw neither Hugin nor Mugin myself, so...

Yes, "The Eye of Oden" sure is from the viking mythology, but their music is not based on it. It is about the same as calling Yngwie Malmsteen for "viking metal" because he did a song called "I am a viking" IMO...

But don't forget that there is not definite musical style for viking metal. Viking metal is more a genre that takes styles from other metal-subgenres and merge them with viking lyrics and a little epic feeling. The only viking trademark I really know is the clean hymnic vocals, you do not find them in many other styles in this form. Except, well, Vintersorg, Borknagar, and that stuff nearby.

Compare some viking metal bands: eg. Einherjer's "Odin Owns Ye All" and Enslaved's "Frost"... Considering the music, there is absolutely NO similarity between the two... BUT they're both great albums and they're both viking metal to the bone...

VM is in same parts a matter of perspective I'd say...

Originally posted by Vindsval But don't forget that there is not definite musical style for viking metal. Viking metal is more a genre that takes styles from other metal-subgenres and merge them with viking lyrics and a little epic feeling. The only viking trademark I really know is the clean hymnic vocals, you do not find them in many other styles in this form. Except, well, Vintersorg, Borknagar, and that stuff nearby.

Totally agree...Viking metal is a matter of lyrics.