is borknagar viking metal????

Scandinavia was very well christianized by 1400, but the old beliefs has lived all the way up to our time. The gods weren't worshipped very much anymore (though there are stories about old men worshipping the old gods all up to the 19th century), but they lived in the stories and the fairy tale.
Remember the fairytale about that one (don't remember who...) who found that huge mitten, and slept inside it? And in the morning he woke up and found that it belonged to a troll. Tor slept in a mitten and found that it belonged to a jotun.
Also there's Askeladden and his good helpers! One of the helpers (a helper is a god, obviously...) could hear the grass grow in the fields and the wool grow on the sheep. Heimdall could do the same! And then there is the ship that could sail as good on land as on water, that was big enough to hold a hundred men, but still it could be bent together and put in the pocket!
In several places in Norway it has been custom to serve nornsgraut (norn porrige) to women in childbed to hail the norns (destiny) and make them protect mother and child.

Originally posted by MeaCulpa
To what degree you can trust for example what Adam of Bremen
writes about the heathen temples in Uppsala and so on?

All that about Uppsala is rather uncertain, I'd say... There probaly has been some place with temples and such, but most probably not as big as the stories say, and certainly not where it is widely believed to have been. That far north there's found no signs of temples, or any big stone buildings at all, and the graves that has been opened has only held females. That doesn't exactly fit with the patriarchical and violent Uppsala stories.... It can refer to the old nature religion, though, and the last home of the jotnir.

Just a little note before I have to hurry off:

Many things we know about paganism other than from some stories of old people (and even those) are reflected through christian eyes and brought in comparison with them, too. So, what is was like might very well never come back, and that's very sad. But it's not hard to imagine what they have lived and believed like back then, cause it's just natural to believe in their way I think, much easier and clearer. (sorry if that made no sense to anyone ;) )

A lot of the stories originally attributed to Thor were later passed on to St. Olav as well--things like him fighting trolls (as opposed to Thor and the frost-giants)

The Christianization of Scandinavia is an interesting thing to look at in many ways, at least to me. It almost seems as though it was an all-or-nothing sort of thing, with some people becoming extremely devout, and others either going through the motions. Even so, a lot of very old folkloristic things stayed in the minds of the common people, whether they were extremely religious folk or not.

Originally posted by Ziuwarian
(sorry if that made no sense to anyone ;) )

It did ;) And I agree with you! :) When you just get into it, digging deep enough, you can see that this isn't very mystical or so. It's just other words for the same things.....

Originally posted by TravisW
a lot of very old folkloristic things stayed in the minds of the common people, whether they were extremely religious folk or not.

I think that is smth a lot of ppl don't think about. The western ways of weddings and burials, the way of celebrating christmas, easter....... The easter bunny, and..... well, I don't know much about Santa Claus, but the scandinavian version, "nissen" is pagan at least. (He's a forefather; the first "husbonde" to live at the farm. Setting out christmas porrige for him would make him bless you and the crop.)
All of it has existed before christianity. I remember back in the first years of school, the teachers used to ask, every christmas and easter, why we celebrated these things. Then no-one knew about the pagan customs. Both the christians and the others considered it christian, and had never heard about anyting else. I think that is a bit sad...

Originally posted by TravisW
A lot of the stories originally attributed to Thor were later passed on to St. Olav as well--things like him fighting trolls (as opposed to Thor and the frost-giants)

The Christianization of Scandinavia is an interesting thing to look at in many ways, at least to me. It almost seems as though it was an all-or-nothing sort of thing, with some people becoming extremely devout, and others either going through the motions. Even so, a lot of very old folkloristic things stayed in the minds of the common people, whether they were extremely religious folk or not.

The Christianization (first of all there are like a billion different theories about it),
seems at least to me to have been much of a
political matter. And of course, we have no way of knowing whether
people who were bapthized actually did this out of personal religious believes
or because they saw it as politically wise to go
along if the leading persons in their community converted. In the
same way it's also almost impossible to know when and how society
was completely Christianized.
As for the Old Norse believes flowering in certain parts of the
country, it may well again have been a way of opposing to the
Christianization attempts from the kings of the period. Generally
most litterature of the topic seems to think Norway was Catholic
by the end of the 13th centry. The again very little is mentioned
about common superstition.
The thing about old perceptions getting a Christian "mask", new
names but in general are the same as the old ones. Gro Steinsland
has an interesting theory about this in connection with the Christianization,
where the idea of the sacred king, and the kings
destiny, is seen as the point where the Old Norse heathendom and
Christianity had something in common, and thus being one of the
ways people could relate to Christianity. The cult which developed
around St. Olav also played an important part in this, as he played the role
of the eternal sacred king of Norway both at the time and not to
mention in later legislative and secular writings.

Very interesting. I wish there were more material on that around here. To be perfectly honest, North Dakota is probably a better place than most in the USA to find books on such subject matter, but it would be nice to get more info. Can any of you recommend any books (if it's in Norwegian or Danish, it's not a problem--Swedish is a tad tougher for me to read) that I may be able to find somewhere online?

Originally posted by Willith
On the subject of viking metal...has anyone read 'Lords of Chaos'?
This book slays.

i have this book and this is a piece of shit!!! authors made a big mistakes...

about NOTHING... first chapter is about history of extrem music (with many mistakes). a few next chapters is about norwegian black metal (stupid interviews with Faust, Varg, Garm etc. + very funny story about Varg and his mother). then is fucking boring chapter about nazist philosophy. and final chapter is about black metal bands in other country... crappish book i read ever... plus points: a few great pics...

cool pictures, especially the one that Oystein took of 'Dead' right after he blew his brains out and you can see the brain seeping out of his head.

Cool pictures, you say...? How can such a thing be "cool"?? I think it's quite a lack of respect from a person to take such a picture, especially considering the hell he must have been living through to go to such an end... And they were supposed to be "friends"... When things that actually happen in real life, I don't think it's very "cool".

But who knows if he actually ate it...? He could just say he did, but I don't know... But even so, it's just fucking sick. But then,I guess that was exactly was he was as well. Or he wouldn't have done it...

yes, cool pictures, especially the one that Oystein took of 'Dead' right after he blew his brains out and you can see the brain seeping out of his head.

WTF!!! when i said "great pics" i mean "troo evil Varg as a child" or "Emperor live shoots '93".... not fuckin' dead man pic!!!

about fuckin' mistakes... my favourite (funniest) is title Unleashed's debut: "WHERE NO EVIL DWEELS":lol: maybe stupid Moynihan and Soderlind next time learn some albums titles?

The only way you could be sicker than a braineater is a person who brags about being a braineater. Well, maybe not sicker, but I guess I never understood the whole "I'm eviller than you" mentality that some people have.