is borknagar viking metal????

Originally posted by metal thrashin mad!
i figuerd they were odinists.....with the hammer logo and everything?

Odinists with hammers?? Hehe, woudn't that rather be "Thor-inists"?? :D Hehe.........

And all of you ppl talking about viking mythology...... Whatever is that supposed to be?? Vikings don't have much to do with the mythology........

But when takling of Borknagar's style...... Borknagar is just Borknagar. You cannot label them, and what's the point of labelling anyway?

And all of you ppl talking about viking mythology...... Whatever is that supposed to be?? Vikings don't have much to do with the mythology........

I am not sure if I get what you mean, but perhaps "religion" would be better... The religion that the vikings believed/believe in.

But don't forget that there is not definite musical style for viking metal. Viking metal is more a genre that takes styles from other metal-subgenres and merge them with viking lyrics and a little epic feeling. The only viking trademark I really know is the clean hymnic vocals, you do not find them in many other styles in this form. Except, well, Vintersorg, Borknagar, and that stuff nearby.

You are right.

Totally agree...Viking metal is a matter of lyrics.

Yes, and also a matter of style.

Originally posted by Averathinx

I am not sure if I get what you mean, but perhaps "religion" would be better... The religion that the vikings believed/believe in.

Well, what do you think of when you think of "vikings"?
I'd rather call it "norse" or "scandinavian(/germanic)" mythology, since the mythology wasn't (and isn't) limited to vikings only, in neither time nor space.
They weren't exactly a ppl......... The vikings were only a small part of the danish, norwegian and swedish ppls. Men who went out to trade and/or fight some time in their lives.
You might as well say " the farmer mythology", because there were a lot of farmers as well........ That's what I mean.

Well, what do you think of when you think of "vikings"?
I'd rather call it "norse" or "scandinavian(/germanic)" mythology, since the mythology wasn't (and isn't) limited to vikings only, in neither time nor space.
They weren't exactly a ppl......... The vikings were only a small part of the danish, norwegian and swedish ppls. Men who went out to trade and/or fight some time in their lives.
You might as well say " the farmer mythology", because there were a lot of farmers as well........ That's what I mean.

Hey, that's a brilliant thought. I've never though about that in that way. It make sense.

I see, but I have always seen even those scandinavian farmers as "vikings". I mean, if both the adventurers/merchants and the farmers had the same religion, shouldn't we call them the same? Or not really perhaps...=/

I see, but I have always seen even those scandinavian farmers as "vikings". I mean, if both the adventurers/merchants and the farmers had the same religion, shouldn't we call them the same? Or not really perhaps...=/

Most were not vikings. Most couldn't afford it! And women were not. You can call all the ppl scandinavians, vikings or not vikings.
As for the religion: They didn't have a name it. It was just the old customs; the old way of living. There were differences from place to place, from valley to valley; even within the different valleys, but you can call it the same for everyone within Scandinavia.....

Most were not vikings. Most couldn't afford it! And women were not. You can call all the ppl scandinavians, vikings or not vikings.

I get your point, but should really just the adventeurous and rich scandinavian people back then be called "vikings"?

As for the religion: They didn't have a name it. It was just the old customs; the old way of living. There were differences from place to place, from valley to valley; even within the different valleys, but you can call it the same for everyone within Scandinavia.....

I understand that, but the word "viking mythology" or "viking religion" is just a word that is used to summary the religion that (mostly of) the scandinavian people had under that time (some people nowadays too). It sure varied from place to place, but the "basics" were the same, right?

I get your point, but should really just the adventeurous and rich scandinavian people back then be called "vikings"?

I understand that, but the word "viking mythology" or "viking religion" is just a word that is used to summary the religion that (mostly of) the scandinavian people had under that time (some people nowadays too). It sure varied from place to place, but the "basics" were the same, right?

Yes, only some can be called vikings. Most were indeed not. It's just like most ppl nowadays aren't soldiers. -Nor merchants! Women were never vikings, yet of course, they had the same religion. (Or if there were some women, you can most probably count them on one hand.)
Only the richest men could afford to have a ship. He would rent in local farmers to go with him on a journey, and so they would be viking as well, but they would probably just go for one journey, and then settle at their farms again. The rich men would go around more.

The reason I wouldn't use "viking" religion is that so few were vikings, and the vikings had the same religion as the rest of the ppl. They weren't a own ppl, but some men who chose to go out on journeys. Therefore it's rather irrelevant to mention the word "viking" when talking of the religion of a whole people.
But yes, the basics were the same all over Scandinavia, and to a certain degree, among all germanic peoples.

I now agree, "viking" are just a word for the adventurous scandinavian people. Nothing more.

Ok, you've changed my view on it a bit (to the better of course). Thanks!:)

When saying Viking, one most certainly means danish, swedish or norwegian people between 700 - 1400 A.D. - and I prefer saying Viking Mythology to "Mythology of men, but also women, children, old ones and animals around the time of the Viking Assaults on european shores"... ok? ;)

Viking Mythology and Germanic Mythology is not the same by the way.
For example Tyr (/Tyraz). In Viking (or northern... whatever) Sagas he is one son of Odin and the god of war and strength, the great blablabla... etc. - In contrast to the Germanic Sagas which tell Tyraz has been before the Aesirs and was the father of everything before Wotan (Odin) took his throne.

Originally posted by Vindsval
When saying Viking, one most certainly means danish, swedish or norwegian people between 700 - 1400 A.D. - and I prefer saying Viking Mythology to "Mythology of men, but also women, children, old ones and animals around the time of the Viking Assaults on european shores"... ok? ;)

Viking Mythology and Germanic Mythology is not the same by the way.
For example Tyr (/Tyraz). In Viking (or northern... whatever) Sagas he is one son of Odin and the god of war and strength, the great blablabla... etc. - In contrast to the Germanic Sagas which tell Tyraz has been before the Aesirs and was the father of everything before Wotan (Odin) took his throne.

:lol: Why would it be so hard to say all that? :p Nah, but norse mythology or scandinavian mythology would be more correct. The word viking is totally irrelevant when talking of mythology.

Odin was the last of the gods to come to Scandinavia as well. He's not the father of Tyr, nor Tor or any other god. It's the ppl who mostly or only worshipped Odin who made it seem otherwise. They were a strong warriorppl, and therefore also managed to get it into the old poems of the Edda, of which most must, afaics, have been here longer than Odin (who only came here around 200AD).
There are many similarities between the beliefs in Scandinavia and the rest of northern Europe, but there are also differenses, as there were differences from village to village.

The term used for the nordic mythology from the Viking Age period
is as far as I know "Old Norse Mythology" (Norrøn mytologi),
thus covering all the social stratas and a wider geographic area.

It is also true that more than 90% (at least of the Norwegian
population) at the time were peasants.
Haugtussa has a point when it comes to different gods and godesses
being worshipped in different places as well. Why would
a group of hardly surviving peasants turn to Odin if what they
needed was a good crop and Frey was the god who could help
them? Yet another thing is the lack of good sources to these matters.
To what degree you can trust for example what Adam of Bremen
writes about the heathen temples in Uppsala and so on?
Even Voluspá might have Christian influences, and that is one of
our most important sources to Old Norse mythology.

Oh, and by 1400, Norway had already lost it's independence and
was well Christianzied. The political and cultural peak was during the
13th century, with the state formation, production of literature,
the geographic expansion and development of legal system and
so on.