is it a throwaway world today?

mrthrax

riffer madness
Feb 17, 2002
australia
Visit site
i have only had my computer for 2 years or so and the monitor shit itself 2 weeks back,gone are the days when things were actually made to last 20 or 30 years

could it be that computers have taken so many jobs off people that companies just cant afford to build things to last,my mate bought a big screen tv and it has shit itself twice in the last year

anyone got any similar stories.

Unfortunately, that's the way the world works now. You **COULD** get your monitor fixed, but at the price they'd charge you (which would be referred to as "up the ass"), you'd be better off just buying a new one. I can't count how many CD players I've had shit out on me in the past few years. Strangely enough, though, my old-school Atari 2600 works great still...

Sgt-D said:
Unfortunately, that's the way the world works now. You **COULD** get your monitor fixed, but at the price they'd charge you (which would be referred to as "up the ass"), you'd be better off just buying a new one. I can't count how many CD players I've had shit out on me in the past few years. Strangely enough, though, my old-school Atari 2600 works great still...

Were those CD players you're referring to made by Sony??

o suppose i shouldnt complain i forgot to mention that i had extended warranty,but even then u are still paying for it one way or another

att: thraxdude,sony is one company that has never let me down,maybe its the long shipping time lol

haha.... yeah my old 8-bit Nintendo legend of zelda game still runs on the internal battery. I remember the game manual saying that it could only retain info for 5 years before reseting... that was 16 years ago!!!!

The same goes for CD's. I bought my Rust In Peace CD back in oh, 91 or so. It still works great. no skipping or anything and I've flung that thing, tosssed it, juggled it, sunlight, you name it. But when I buy cd's these days, you have to treat them so delicately. One of my WCFYA is already skipping at track 9

I´ve almost gotten into fight about SONYs products. I´ve had a SONY steroe and some other stuff and they´ve broken down in under a year. I had a SONY walkman that started to chew the on the tapes and so on. I talked to a lot of people who say I´m wrong and SONY make great stuff... maybe I´ve bought the bugus ones. But I´m never gonna buy anything from FONY again.

Johnny Ace said:
haha.... yeah my old 8-bit Nintendo legend of zelda game still runs on the internal battery. I remember the game manual saying that it could only retain info for 5 years before reseting... that was 16 years ago!!!!

8-bit Nintendo RULES!!!

The CD players that have shat out on me were 2 Sanyos (box & portable), an Aiwa & an RCA, I believe. The only problems I've had with Sony products are that my PS2 likes to skip around when playing DVDs sometimes, and some cock-knocker stole my discman after only having it for a few months.

...And yes, 8-bit Nintendo kicks the fucking shit. Come to think of it, so does the SNES. Those systems RULE!

mrthrax- You must be lucky...

Arg_Hamster said:
I´ve almost gotten into fight about SONYs products. I´ve had a SONY steroe and some other stuff and they´ve broken down in under a year. I had a SONY walkman that started to chew the on the tapes and so on. I talked to a lot of people who say I´m wrong and SONY make great stuff... maybe I´ve bought the bugus ones. But I´m never gonna buy anything from FONY again.

That's what I'm taliking about. I think people who say, "Sony makes great stuff." Mean to say, "Sony makes great TVs." Their TVs are the only reliable product that Sony makes.
(I should probably stop dissing them, though, because my PlayStation 2 currently works!)

hahaha dont jinx yourself thraxdude,i have had a m sony stereo for 10 years and is still as strong as ever,same goes for the tv walkman and dvd.

brands i steer clear of are technics,awai,akai,palsonic and sanyo.

toshiba used to make great stuff but i dont really see much of there on the markey anymore.

My grandfather bought a Sony 5 disc changer probably 8 or 9 years ago. It could hardly play any CDs. I tried telling my family this, but no one listened to me. They said my CDs were all scratched and that was the problem. I said they played fine on other CDs players. Well, after they realized I was right (since he and my uncle were just starting to buy CDs) it was too late to do anything. Nice AM/FM radio and cassette player he has.

My friend has Sony everything, because he had a Sony Guy connection.....
Anyway, it's a good thing he had a Sony connection, because his Sony CD changer scratched CDs, and his home CD changer kept getting fucked up. So he kept getting it fixed for free. But they had to be fixed over, and over, and over, and over, and over........
Pioneer is the best for the "regular Joe" who wants a stereo. My Pioneer CD changer in my Truck is about 10 years old. It gets used every time I drive that truck (which has 148,000 + miles on it) and I have NEVER had a problem with it.
Well, except one time my truck was broken into during a Malevolent Creation concert. The way the stereo was installed saved it. I found the face of the stereo on the floor the next day. My friend was messing with it. The stereo was halfway out of the dash, but my friend managed to get it to work.
I got it fixed and it still works like new, because it wasn't made by Sony.
And my home Pioneer stereo worked fine for years....until it was struck by lightning. But the Pioneer CD changer that was plugged into it still works...

(Stay tuned for Thra:rofl:ude's "My PlayStation2 doesn't work anymore" thread)

Arg_Hamster said:
Johnny ACE, Link never backs down! :)

Ha ha... yeah... no matter how complex game systems and games get, nothing beats the first Zelda. I was like, "Shit, there's a million burning bushes, hidden caves, and secret labrynth passages." That game was the king of 'em all.

My Pioneer 5 CD changer works almost fine, It refuses to play any burned discs, and my enchaced version of "Somewhere in time" by maiden.
Anyone here experienced anything similar?

A lot of people complain about Kenwood and Pioneer but I never had any problems with systems from those two! Shit, my dad has an old Kenwood stereo that still works fine after 13 years!