Vista, I hate you.

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
I was searching in google for solution for allmost 2 hours now and I'm so frustrated I thought I may could ask this here because a lot of you guys seem to know alot about computers, too.

Okay...here we go:

For no reason my computer began to work really hard in the evening. Two minutes later I get a blue screen. I'm not able to read it all because the computer shuts itself down just a second after that. I'm booting my computer up with a baaaaaaaaaaaaad bad feeling.

First message: Windows Defender cant start because of...something. Doesn't work. Okay, I don't care, who needs that Windows stuff anyway. But why isn't my anti-virus software booting up. Click on the icon. second message: "I hate you and this is why I just wont boot up".

Great. This has to be a virus. And yup, it is. And it's not stupid because it killed my anti-virus software (which seems to suck) first. Tried to reinstall it, same message. Tried different software... same thing. Everything works except for everything that has to do with my computers security. Still it's making alot of noise. This can't be good.

After one hour of trying to safe it I realized I have to be honest to myself and do what has to be done (again, because I allready did it 2 weeks ago. Had no problems for about half a year).
Format, reinstall vista. Works fine. Anti Virus software boots up again.

Before we get to the problem I have to say I CAN'T INSTALL XP ON IT. It doesn't work. The mainboard NEEDS Vista + the last time I resinstalled everything I haven't had this problem. This makes it worse.

We're using our home network with two XP computers and my vista computer. You have to setup a password for your account on the vista computer to make it work with XP in a network. that means the others have to enter it when connecting to my computer for file sharing or whatever.

We find each other, I can connect to everyone. But when they're promted to enter the password nothing happens except the windows goes away for a ms and comes back the way it was. WTF!?

As I said everything worked the last time I had to reinstall everything.
Just did the same now. I don't get it.

Would be great if someone has an idea.

ps.

luckily I didn't lose my stuff. Saved it.

Iäm on vista ultimate for my net machine...

ZERO complaints, functions as it should and has a load of cool stuff which is handy cause i take my laptop on the road a lot.

Do you happen to use AVG for your virus software? With it I've never had a virus problem and it's freaking free. I had trouble with Norton and McAfee and they're always costing more money.

Oh and death to Vista! :heh:

You have to format your drive before putting the XP-cd.
And get F-secure, its the best antivirus program out there, it contains big parts of other antivirusprograms detection code, such as nod3d and kaspersky.

Read this guide for more information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931760

I have never used vista on my audio machine..but for everything else it has been reliable and easy to use...web surfing, photo editing, adobe stuff.. but it was preloaded on a well spec'd laptop...

I don't see how you can't install XP on it? I've never heard of a motherboard being OS specific - that just doesn't really make sense.

I had this problem too.

Windows XP doesn't recognise some SATA controllers and says that it can't find any hard drives. The solution to this is to go to the manufactures and look for the drivers for the SATA controller.

There's no such thing as an OS specific motherboard, im sure you can tweak your bios if you really want to pop XP on mate, i used to have a lot of SATA problems with HP6320 lappys @ work and it was just a case of disabling it in the bios. Vista is getting dandier by the day, im considering moving over permanently now! Disable windows defender if you are happy to do so. I use AVG with no problems, but AVAST is also cool if you are for some reason getting avg specific issues