Need Vista Help Guys

Your comp shutting down and freezing and shit might be a hardware glitch.

A Windows machine arbitrarily shutting down and restarting could be a hardware issue...

... just like your girlfriend getting pregnant could be the second coming of Raptor Jesus.

Megamustaine... unless you failed miserably at pointing the fans in the right direction, or overclocked the processor so hard it thinks it's a banana, I wouldn't count on a hardware problem.

Jeff

guys i think most of you might have missed the point, although im pretty drunk from the pub tonite, it would appear that mega has built his own system. The blame isnt going to be with the operating system, or cubase or any other software... its going to be wit einen hardware gespielt! £50 its an overheating problem hehe

Okay, having built computers since I was knee high to a quadruple amputee and fixed countless manufactured PCs with cooling problems, I'm calling bullshit on the grudge against home builds. One of the most reliable brands I've worked with has still shown a few boards overheated to the point where capacitors popped and things stopped working. The average case comes with ventilation that'll work just fine for non-overclockers. Unless he's jacking this thing obscenely or there's something wrong with the fans, I wouldn't guess overheating - and there would be other quirks going behind this as well.

Further, a repeated problem with the same thing in the same way is not going to scream HARDWARE YAAAUGH!... especially when that problem is installing software on a Microsoft system less than three years old.

Face it, fuckers... Vista users are going to be beta testers for at least another year (if they're quick) and more likely closer to two.

Jeff

Mate i have no grudge against home builds, quite the opposite in fact lol! I too have done enough of them for peeps, and funnily enough have a degree in Computer Science & Business coming this June. Im pointing out it sounds like his first build. Things go wrong on ones first investigation into the evil things that are computers, and often fairly drastically as you know (no matter how much someone has been told what to do/what not to do from half way accross an ocean). I sometimes find people too eager to blame "Vista" just because they know its "Vista" and has had a bad press wrap, yet nothing else about the computer is known. I agree on the testing point of course though lol, I do get highly annoyed with it sometimes, but its like any new operating system. There is never going to be a bug free operating system released corporately on day one. Unfortunately I don't think any of us in the computer industry are going to be supporting MACs on a regular basis to any kind of a user for too many reasons, so its something we're gonna have to get used to. Any OS or software is far from bug free, and as long as someone knows how to treat it right they'll be ok. Anyway, if this is a software problem i'll eat my shoe :p Granted it can happen with software, but pc shutdowns and freezes like this? Hardware it is in my book :loco:

Lets all run linux... :Smokedev:

If every time he tries to install some software he gets a crash (more detail on this would be nice, of course), with something as well-supported as EZDrummer, I'd say the biggest problem there would be software. Random reboots could be hardware or software, granted.

As for the home build thing... it's so easy now it would take work to get cooling wrong. Case fans, PSU and CPU fans... unless he's leaving it in his microwave or surrounding it with blankets there are bigger issues at stake. The main point I was making is that store-bought computers are in my experience just as bad as, if not worse than, home builds in terms of cooling.

Jeff

If every time he tries to install some software he gets a crash (more detail on this would be nice, of course), with something as well-supported as EZDrummer, I'd say the biggest problem there would be software. Random reboots could be hardware or software, granted.

As for the home build thing... it's so easy now it would take work to get cooling wrong. Case fans, PSU and CPU fans... unless he's leaving it in his microwave or surrounding it with blankets there are bigger issues at stake. The main point I was making is that store-bought computers are in my experience just as bad as, if not worse than, home builds in terms of cooling.

Jeff

Definitely, the "branded" pc is a item of delusion. I think more and more are becoming aware :) Dude what the hell are you doing up btw! Have you been up all night again :p

Ok, that's cool, it's a decent PSU. Try running those apps I linked and let me know some temps.

I ran the apps, and my CPU temperatures were fairly normal. Around 43 Degrees for all 4 cores. So that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Also, when I woke up this morning, 'windows explorer wouldn't respond.' I'd try to click the start menu button, and it wouldn't respond. The clock said 1:10 AM. It seems like thats one of my main problems, windows explorer doesn't respond for whatever reason.

And yes, I've built quite a few computers before, lol. Just never done a quadcore with Vista.

No no. Degrees Celsius, haha. That'd be crazy, if it was farenheit. As someone previously said, low 40's seem to be pretty normal for the Q6600.

I ran the apps, and my CPU temperatures were fairly normal. Around 43 Degrees for all 4 cores. So that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Also, when I woke up this morning, 'windows explorer wouldn't respond.' I'd try to click the start menu button, and it wouldn't respond. The clock said 1:10 AM. It seems like thats one of my main problems, windows explorer doesn't respond for whatever reason.

And yes, I've built quite a few computers before, lol. Just never done a quadcore with Vista.

Was that 43C at Idle or Load, also how long did you leave Prime95 running for before you decided it wouldn't move anymore? I doubt it is a heat thing, but I'm just interested as to what temperatures you got.

It was 43 at idle, and I just left it open for 10 to 15 minutes watching it in idle. The temps seemed to go from about 42 to 44 for each core. If it was in the 50's or 60's, I'd be concerned, but it seems like everything is fairly normal.

Ok, 43 at idle is a little warm, my Q6600 overclocked to 3.2ghz is idling at 33, but I have an aftermarker cooler. So yeah, doesn't look like much of a problem.