Vista? Help...

MegaMustaine

Apr 7, 2006
So I am building a quadcore PC. It's going to be pretty badass, except I'm nervous about vista. I think I am going to be running Nuendo or Cubase on it, will I have problems with that on vista? I would just use XP, but since I have the quad, it won't take advantage of the processing power.

Thanks.

Just go for the gold with hardware (quad core and all), and run XP on it until Vista is patched and proven enough to upgrade your OS - it's not like the hardware follows the "if you don't use it, you lose it" rule :)

Vista worked fine for me, untill i tried to track guitars.
It seems like it cant send the signal from the input directly to the output, but you have to run a program that does this for you(Which gives to much latency, atleast for me.).
Ive read about it on the net, and it seems like the only thing you can do is perform registry hacks to fix it.

I'm not running cubase but I've had no problems with my pc, vista and recording yet and i've been running it since october.

i have vista and have a nuendo - everything works fine - half of year without of problems

People have been saying that Vista runs like crap for recording (as well as many other programs or functions) and it has been the complete opposite for me. My Desktop system which is spec'd pretty much the same - although not dual core and running XP pro - as my laptop crashes frequently and can't handle the same amount of tracks/plugs, etc. I have no latency issues, no driver issues, and no system crashes. I have the user account control turned on - which I was told to turn off for recording. But, turning it off disables some of my plugins...And with it on it's fine.

I use a Presonus Firepod and had no driver issues whatsoever, even though Presonus didn't come out with drivers for 5 months after I bought the laptop. I used the old XP drivers in Vista and it was great, stable, no dropouts.

System specs and all that play a role, but whenever I hear people gripe about Vista, I just don't get it. If you are a Vista user and had trouble, that's one thing. But, I see WAY too many claiming Vista sucks and whatnot, and they've never used it with their setup. My experience with Vista all around for recording, graphic design, general use, etc., has proven to me that it's superior to XP in many ways...Again, in my experience. YMMV

Vista has been better than OSX for me for recording, but I am kind of biased towards Windows, so take that for what it's worth. But problems are problems, and I've had more with OSX.

You have nothing to worry about. Back up your shit and everything will be fine.

I've had the opposite experience with Vista just like nwright.

Been running Nuendo & Vista for over a year now, it's been pretty flawless. My only problem was trying to run two FP10's on my laptop. Had to buy a card to make it happen. Thats a hardware thing though, not a Vista problem. Vista has been fine. I think it's just a lot of people being afraid to switch because of problems in the past with other OS's.

Or having dealt with tons of bullshit as a guy who fixes computers for just about anyone at little or no cost, seen the security flaws (if holes so big one could toss a whale through them are flaws) posted left and right, and failed to see any substantial benefit of upgrading a system apart from CPU-hogging bullshit...

Jeff

Here's another for the Vista-love.
It's by far my favourite operating system yet.

I've been wanting to reinstall because since I've installed it I've downloaded and installed so much shit. I need to clean this shit up. But I'm on the pc so much, being without it for a while would suck, since i'd have to go back to xp for a while.

The biggest issue I've encountered is my old ass motherboard doesn't fully support SATA2 and I've just got this 500gb SATA2 drive chillin out until I upgrade, but it's AGP and i'll have to get a PCIe GFX card when i upgrade. wtf. can't win.