is it just me or....

zim18

Feb 11, 2006
do bands like kataklysm and hypocrisy sound too...mainstream?? the lack of guitar solos and boring ass lyrics/vocals make me not want to like these guys, they both just make catchy songs...anyways my question is, are there many mainstream death metal bands? if so can you name a few? and im talking about true death metal not stuff like arch enemy

i think hypocrisy are fucking awesome. their last one was just so brutal.

nile is a good mainstream death metal band, and you already listen to them. hate eternal are pretty mainstream for a death metal band, and theyre pretty good.

Hypocrisy bore me, for the most part. I only really like their first two albums. Everything after that is boring heavy metal with death vocals, attempting to be atmospheric (except for the nu-metalish Catch 22). Kataklysm are ok, I suppose, but I never got into them for some reason. I agree that generic is a more apt term to describe them than mainstream is.

really?! their the only death metal band ive ever heard in which all their songs sound completely different.....ill take your word for it though, are they hated on here or something?

zim18 said:
really?! their the only death metal band ive ever heard in which all their songs sound completely different.....ill take your word for it though, are they hated on here or something?
Completely different? They all sound pretty much the same except for the occasional synth interlude.

you should turn your stereo up louder thoth, because they all sound different to me ;)

zim18 said:
you should turn your stereo up louder thoth, because they all sound different to me ;)
I'm not criticizing them, hell I've got two of their albums and I saw them live a few months ago. It's just that most of them sound pretty much the same. Same basic vocals throughout the whole album, same guitar sounds, etc.

zim18 said:
their the only death metal band ive ever heard in which all their songs sound completely different...

This is bizzare. Are you sure you're listening to other death metal bands with your ears, as opposed to your arse?

Thoth-Amon said:
Same basic vocals throughout the whole album, same guitar sounds, etc.

It might help if you pay more attention to the melodies, riffs, etc. instead of the "guitar sounds".

Kataklysm is fucking horrible.

Cythraul said:
It might help if you pay more attention to the melodies, riffs, etc. instead of the "guitar sounds".

Kataklysm is fucking horrible.
I have dude. It's all very similar. Brutal death, with egytian sounding melodies inserted in. Not much variety. Which is fine. Death metal shouldn't be very varied.

Thoth-Amon said:
I have dude. It's all very similar. Brutal death, with egytian sounding melodies inserted in. Not much variety. Which is fine. Death metal shouldn't be very varied.

No you haven't. You're just pointing out the fact that they tend to use similar scales throughout their material, which is what most bands do.

Cythraul said:
No you haven't. You're just pointing out the fact that they tend to use similar scales throughout their material, which is what most bands do.
Yeah and it all pretty much sounds the same. Jesus... I can't even believe you are arguing this. It's like saying the new Cannibal Corpse has a stunning amount of variety in it.