Is It possible to split audio L C R style?

DullElysium

Oct 15, 2010
Finland
So i have been wondering this for a while. Can one delete left and right channel without getting rid of the center channel (and vice versa)? It could be used to hear the guitars more clearly if one is trying to figure out what's veen played etc.

Somehow i feel this is impossible when a track only has left and right channels but to the human ears there is also a clear center channel so i thought there might be a way.

You could possibly, have your stereo track, duplicate it and switch over the L and R, and then phase reverse them to each other. The centre instruments will disappear/attenuate, while leaving only the differently panned instruments.
And then you could phase reverse this result with another copy of the original stereo track, leaving only the centre?
It's worth a try.

You could possibly, have your stereo track, duplicate it and switch over the L and R, and then phase reverse them to each other. The centre instruments will disappear/attenuate, while leaving only the differently panned instruments.
And then you could phase reverse this result with another copy of the original stereo track, leaving only the centre?
It's worth a try.

this will work

use some kind of mid/side plugin. Brainworx do great things here. Turn the mid down to hear the sides only and vice versa.

Reaper does that on the fly. i.e. Right click on stereo file > Item processing > "Explode multichannel audio to new single items"

Then invert one of the phases, boom there's your side signal.

Is it actually possible to extract the centre channel using phase? Last time I tried it didnt quite work. I have often wanted to be able to hear the centre channel alone. Its easy to do the sides with the simple phase reversal trick, but then I found after I delved a bit deeper into trying more tricks it was never actually possible to get it to work. When I have used centre extraction plugins like voxengo, they havent come through as I would expect usually - maybe thats the best it can get though.

Anyone got a super cool method to share?