Is Melodic Death dying?

P.S. Demilich may be more innovative than the masses(not superfluous enough to warrant accomplishment in the least), but the exhibit the same fallacies as just about every other band on the elitist list. They didn't do enough to inspire or influence anyone else in dm. Unnecessarily long, meaningless, song titles strikes me as nothing more than pretentious. But you revolve around pretension, and I never expected anything original or suprising from one of you.

Sadude... I could not have said it all better myself, and as you see in the above post I did not... I could understand the Maiden comparisons in certain respects, but one can remove certain aspects of every music and insert them into most any other genre.. it is arrogant to dictate a fact that an entire genre of metal is a simple sub-ripp-off of a single band... Melodic Death is a legitimate musical style, whether I, or anyone else enjoys it or not.

Some metalcore bands like Killswitch Engage take in some melo-death into their sound and metalcore is getting popular now.

Yes... metalcore has been popular for some time... I don't like the genre much myself, but Killswitch and As I Lay Dying are good bands... The Agony Scene is not too terrible either.

The Gothenburg scene has resulted in the release of 4 albums of note. Other than these, nothing else is necessary:

1) Sacramentum- Far Away From the Sun

2) At The Gates- The Red in the Sky is Ours

3) At The Gates- Gardens of Grief

4) Dark Tranquility- Skydancer

Lunar Strain is formulaic now refelcting upon all who drew influence from it. But it was ground breaking at it's time. Dark Tranquillity can not be criticized for their pre-projector efforts. I happen to enjoy everything they've released though.

I second that notion... it was a bit of a slump in my mind with the album projector... but every other release has not dissapointed me, and they put on an amazing live show

When it comes down to it these clones will take the lesser known immitators of the genre. When In Flames gets mentioned they praise Tranquillity. If At The Gates gets credit they probably try to give it to Eucharist. The responses of these people are so predictable you could take everythng that they've said thus far put it into a machine and it would say everything else they could ever say during their life. Noting of course that there really isn't any difference between their statements. They have perfected their art which has been hilarious enough for me to call it entertainment. (I love their ad hominem art/entertainment distinctions)Which is why these "faggot jewboys" have more to offer than most people on the forums. They are very predictable and boring. But you are always guarenteed a laugh if you have discovered the simplicity of relative perspectivism in your life that is. You know of course that they are all hermits who never leave the house. Most likely scrawny, and lucky to reach 5 and a half feet in height. They read to justify things that they already think, instead of to learn something new and progress. They get hostile and tough with short 2 sentence(if you're lucky) responses that they assume to be witty. If they created their tough guy facades in the real world,they know for sure that they would get their faces broken. You know those brute 6 foot 4 neanderthalls that clean house at shows aren't them due to illiteracy. At best some of these people may be well-established, dungeon masters who play d&d all night long in their parents basements. They are most likely closet-power metal fags. The internal conflict of liking something they know to be so gay(like them), might in fact be the cause of their protagonist nature. I actually agree with much of the informed part of their ideollogy though.

Hah hah hah... wow... You've got yourself an interesting way with words... in any case i've rarely got the patience to argue or try to show reason, I simply state and let those statements go where they will.. .as i'm sure you just did... I hope that usage of power metal in that statement was just a perspective example though... I happen to be a great fan of power metal, though not closet-case... I lovely night of Cryptopsy, Emperor and Dragonforce is a good night's sleep for me!

I've been trying to break out the melodeath in my band for some time.

Writing those kinds of melodies is HARD.

Guardian of Darkness said:
The more melodic ATG became, the worse they got, methinks. They peaked with the first half of 'With Fear...', then gradually went downhill.
Their first three releases were far more melodic than their last two albums...

Elitist clashes with elitist! What savagery!! What carnage!!

I'm sorry, that was a retarded outburst, it just sounded pleasing in my head.

I will refrain from similar acts in the future.

SculptedCold said:
Elitist clashes with elitist! What savagery!! What carnage!!

I'm sorry, that was a retarded outburst, it just sounded pleasing in my head.

I will refrain from similar acts in the future.

:lol::lol:

Their first two full-lengths were melodic in a different way to the last two, which are more in the 'Gothenburg' style [Edit: the typical Gothenburg sound, at least] and less in the 'amazing' style. :p

anonymousnick2001 said:
I've been trying to break out the melodeath in my band for some time.

Writing those kinds of melodies is HARD.

Actually, it's incredibly easy to write melodic death (or should I say, bad melodic death, which most of it is).

Yes... I have never seen anyone have much trouble doing basic melo-death riffs... but some of the more complicated ones that will stand out in a band can be quite hard...