Is Melodic Death dying?

SculptedCold said:
Elitist clashes with elitist! What savagery!! What carnage!!

I'm sorry, that was a retarded outburst, it just sounded pleasing in my head.

I will refrain from similar acts in the future.
You're a twit. ;)

Their first three releases were far more melodic than their last two albums...
I'll cheerfully withdraw the word 'melodic' and replace it with the phrase 'simply-structured'. :Smug:

Planetary Eulogy said:
Their first three releases were far more melodic than their last two albums...

More organized, original and complicated melodies definitly. But more of them... I am not so sure

Demiurge, have I not proven myself enough to warrant response? hahahahah
Did you wake up and realize that you were nothing more than lint from Planetary Eulogy's underwear that clings to his ball bag. That is of course if you are separate entities.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I'll cheerfully withdraw the word 'melodic' and replace it with the phrase 'simply-structured'. :Smug:
is that really what it all comes down to? y'know, being more complicated doesn't always mean better.... to many people think and criticize that way.... this is especially true with ATG, what made SOTS so great was that they finally trimmed the fat, and struck hard with more effective bursts of ass-kicking riffs and to-the-point.... the "complexity" of past ATG albums really doesn't do much for me, although it has its moments. (and don't, btw, assume that i cant "handle" complexity)

I noticed I never really answered my thoughts on the thread question....

I do not believe the style is dying... In fact where I am it is just becoming truly huge... The more of it that is introduced to my area, the more poeple love it and the more people they know love it... it's quite odd how late the U.S. is on music nowaays other than rap... but it sure as hell is not dying here

SunlapseVertigo said:
is that really what it all comes down to? y'know, being more complicated doesn't always mean better.... to many people think and criticize that way.... this is especially true with ATG, what made SOTS so great was that they finally trimmed the fat, and struck hard with more effective bursts of ass-kicking riffs and to-the-point.... the "complexity" of past ATG albums really doesn't do much for me, although it has its moments. (and don't, btw, assume that i cant "handle" complexity)
I didn't claim that the singular reason they got worse was the simple structure, I just said the more simply-structured ATG got, the worse they became.

The melody in most melodic death is so far from that of Maiden mainly due to rhythm. I explained this more in detail under a previous post within this thread. Check that out. I think you will enjoy my Freddy mercury analogy. Most metal does show its limitation of harmonic knowledge by the overuse of two voice parallel harmony; such as power chords and major/minor thirds(as of late).
The melodies of any two bands are unlikely to be the same (when they are, we call it either a "cover" or "copyright infringement"). The question here is one of style and technique, rather than the specifics of melody. You have correctly pointed to the abuse of "two voice parallel" harmonic techniques in metal generally (and among the Gothenburg acts in particular), what you have neglected to metion is that this is almost wholly a result of the influence of Iron Maiden (which you have, rather disingenuously, tried to deny).

But comparing melodeath to maiden based on the trite overuse of parallel thirds is very similar to comparing death metal to hardcore because of power chords.
Funny, in your attempt at facetiousness, you've accidentally stumbled on truth, hardcore (particularly Discharge) was enormously influential in the early development of death metal.

SADUDE said:
More organized, original and complicated melodies definitly. But more of them... I am not so sure

There are, in a literal sense.

I'm ignoring Sadude due to his oversized signature, I just realized that if I ignored all similar offenders, there would be something like 3 posters I could actually view.

those are 2 completely unrelated pics..... the giant clown is an actual giant clown on a highway near where I live (its considered a New Jersey landmark, for being so big and scary) and the creepy looking woman is taken from one of the "Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark" books series. They have really creepy drawings.