is melodic death metal ready for the mainstream?

comparing bach and beethoven makes no sense. they may both be classical but they sound nothing alike.

beethoven is much better in my opinion, but then again bach made toccata and fugue.

anyway, they are nothing the same

At this point, I don't see death metal becoming mainstream, but I didn't see the nu-metal being all over the radios either. The reason is (sad) that I don't see the population just sitting back and allowing it to happen without major restrain. :err: The fact of religion being a "big hit" with a majority of people has something to do with why I feel that way.

Originally posted by Hyp0Critical
comparing bach and beethoven makes no sense. they may both be classical but they sound nothing alike.

beethoven is much better in my opinion, but then again bach made toccata and fugue.

anyway, they are nothing the same

of course they dont sound the same, youre not getting my point.

nowadays, metal is becoming more and more diverse. metal itself contains many genre's but now the sub-genre's are splitting up into sub-sub-genre's. Nu-metal for example contains band like limp bizkit, papa roach etc. as well as mudvayne, nothingface, glassjaw etc. The band mentioned first are EXTREMELY different to the bands. Most people are too ignorant to realize that this is so and that those bands might actually good and stick to the formula nu-metal=shit but let's not get into that right now. The point is that this is happening to melodic death. Compare the new soilwork and in flames to at the gates. They very VERY different yet they;re all considered melodeath. My guess is that there's gonna be terms like "brutal melodic death" or "nu-death" thrown about. As for melodeath entering the mainstream, i'm not really sure what i want. I'm not the type of person who only listen's to music that's underground because it's underground but then again i like melodeath alot and entering the mainstream could destroy this genre all together.

the underground will always become the mainstream

I'm possitive melo-death is going mainstream. I think I even have some bets that In Flames will be the next Linkin Park (or at least Slipknot) by the end of the year. Arch Enemy has on numerous occassions made it clear they would highly enjoy becoming mainstream. Hell, even Opeth has evolved a much more mainstream sound. Just watch, and wait. It'll happen, it'll happen.

as always reasons came from both parts...

sure melodic death maybe will become mainstream...

infact if you listen to first LIMP BIZKIT album(3 dollars bill 'ya) it is not mainstream at all but when success growing the music lost hard parts and becoming catchy.(as you know wes borland give away from them for this...)

but on the other part becoming less hard is not negative at all...

for example GATHERING becoming more melodic every album but in my opinion they made more beautiful music every release( SADISTIK please don't kill me...i'm alittle bit scared :eek: )

anyway MILES DAVIS said in this autobiography that music is a matter of style there is someone who have it and someone not...:D

who knows!?:p

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Melodic death metal is indeed becoming more and more mainstream... but that's not a bad thing in my opinion. Melody, hooks, and catchiness do not have to be our enemies. They are elements of music that anyone with an open mind should try to appreciate.

Everyone gets something different out of the music they listen to, and that is their right as human beings. If stupid trendy kids at school buy In Flames T-shirts after hearing the first ten seconds of Embody The Invisible and that means something to them, we are in no position to judge them.

We also have to realize that our wishes and an artist's wishes may not be the same. For all of us to covet our precious Soilwork to the point where we try to keep them from gaining exposure when exposure is what they want is extremely selfish. Soilwork's music isn't ours just because we bought a circular piece of plastic and chrome that plays their songs from Fye. The music and the inspirations behind the music, be they wealth, fame, ego, or expression... these all belong solely to the artists. Those artists are free to change and evolve however they choose to, and fans labeling or deserting them just for changing in a way that is generally disliked is incredibly arrogant.

I hope melodic death metal does become popular. The more diverse music becomes, the more diversity there will be in the future... and diversity is a good thing.

I'll admit it though... if I see preps wearing In Flames shirts in a year or so at school, I'll be the first to point it out and crow, "I TOLD YOU SO YOU STUPID SHEEP!"

i cant see why people get pissed off when a fan stops listening to a band because they changed. I listen to what i like, and if a band changes and i dont like the new sound fuck it im not gonna waste my money on a cd that i dont like.

whats the difference if a prep is wearing an in flames shirt and some alt kid? They both follow some stupid fad but its just a different fad. either way they are doing the same thing.

generally the problem is not if the group get mainstream or not

the problem is the average fan...

if an idiot:p wear the Opeth shirt the problem is not the band he listen to...but him :eek:

i guess:rolleyes:

Originally posted by dimensionidol

if an idiot:p wear the Opeth shirt the problem is not the band he listen to...but him :eek:

That's my point really... we cannot believe we are above the bands and blame them for everything we don't like about pop culture. And to CladIn Darkness, I don't mind if fans stop listening to a band when it changes... I just think it is wrong for said fan to accuse the band in question of various things and blame the band as if it was custom tailored to make that fan and only that fan happy. That is what I consider arrogant.

Originally posted by dimensionidol

it seem strange that a person like me that have posted the infamous Dream Theater think this ...

but i think this case things are a little bit different...:)

I just scared that if death metal becomes popular that all the bands will quit writing for the music and start writing for the fans :p

As far as Soilwork goes I give them much praise their new album is sweet and if they get on MTV. . . Hell more power to them.