Is Opeth too sad?

Slaydon

Jul 28, 2008
right outside Oslo, Norway
Sometimes I feel that Opeth's music is too sad. It definitely has a sad vibe, if you look at their opus altogether. But the question is, does it make YOU sad? I can't say it makes me sad, but it certainly doesnt make me happy either,lol.

They're not intentionally sad I believe. Their songs have just more depth and they're more thoughtful. Plus it's the Nordic melancholic attitude prevalent in Scandinavia and Russia.

No, there songs don't make me sad, with exeption 1 or 2

Like:
1) Coil (just amazing)
2) For Absent Friends

other than that, rock on :rofl:

It doesn't make me sad at all, even when i was sad (when my girl left me two years back) i felt i needed Opeth's music like all Damnation and some off BWP to cheer me up !!
their music appeals to the depths of ur emotions !!

But to be on-topic.

No, Opeth does not make me sad. Opeth makes me excited. It really depends on my mood. If I'm in a relaxation-mood, I'll listen to the mellow songs, like Isolation Years, Damnation, Credence and the like. As an example.

I like Esoteric and My Dying Bride, so no, Opeth isn't too sad for me. If I want to listen to happy or hopeful music I put on the Beatles or something. Sad music makes me happy, anyways, and if it didn't I wouldn't listen to it. I don't know why you'd purposefully listen to music that makes you miserable.

A few songs are pretty emotionally heavy (Credence, Isolation Years, To Bid You Farewell), but I wouldn't really consider Opeth to be "sad". When i get upset, I actually don't want to listen to Opeth, and instead listen to soft music (Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, VAST, Smashing Pumpkins). Lyrics have a huge impact on me, and Opeth generally doesn't hit any emotional chords with me lyrically (or musically, expect for the few expectations I listed).

I actually find Opeth to be pretty uplifting and beautiful. The darkness and gloom that surrounds the music is more of a liberating beauty than a smothering melancholia. This is especially true with the the concept albums, because I detach myself from the music and listen almost as a spectator in third person, ultimately losing any sense of personal connection to what is going on. It still touches me though, but in a different way than the other bands I listen to.

Old Opeth is full of joy. Regular Opeth is melancholic, and it's great this way. That's why I love it actually, best negative feeling ever. Oh.. but no, it doesn't make me sad. Also, there are some songs that are not really sad.. I'm thinking of stuff like The Funeral Portrait (ok.. the title doesn't inspire anything good but... arrrggh nevermind!!).

Old Opeth is full of joy. Regular Opeth is melancholic, and it's great this way. That's why I love it actually, best negative feeling ever. Oh.. but no, it doesn't make me sad. Also, there are some songs that are not really sad.. I'm thinking of stuff like The Funeral Portrait (ok.. the title doesn't inspire anything good but... arrrggh nevermind!!).

I also think Hours of Wealth is pretty happy. I mean, just look at the title. It looks sad on the surface, but it is just the character contemplating whats happening. The ending is pretty uplifting if you ask me.

I also think Hours of Wealth is pretty happy. I mean, just look at the title. It looks sad on the surface, but it is just the character contemplating whats happening. The ending is pretty uplifting if you ask me.

I agree, but.. well the end is just sad in someway, but we can see it's going better for the character. The song itself (first part) is quite happy, indeed.