Do you count among those who digs the lyrics?

changso

Neverending dreamer...
Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
Well I am.

Anyway, I'm not going to bash those who do not because it shows, in a way, that Opeth is good musically too...but I feel sad for them because I sincerely believe they miss something very precious within Opeth's music. :s

Honestly, unless the lyrics are extremely banal or idiotic, I couldn't care less what the lyrics are. Of course, an occasional passage or phrase will stike me (eg-"silent dance with death, everything is lost"), and I might think the general storyline is interesting (again eg-MAYH), I really don't care what the specific lyrics are. I usually regard the vbocals in most music as just another instrument. I usually have no idea what bands like Opeth, Emperor, Mykskog, are saying, but the sound of the vox mix perfectly with the music, and I love these bands.

i love lyrics that put most poets to shame. i consider it a part of the experience of an album. i can look past childish or cheesy lyrics if the music is good enough, but it seems most of my fav bands have poetic lyrics, and its just a coincidence really. it seems that most good music has good/decent lyrics.

I stopped reading any bands lyrics when I got into the underground stuff (too much cheesy "hail satan" stuff), so Opeth's lyrics have no impact on me. I do not care what a band sings about, the music is all that matters.

What about MDB lyrics :confused:

I love MDB's lyrics so much, and with the music it just makes me cry so much :cry: :D

Opeth has great lyrics, I am a lyric guy, I have read At the Conclave's lyrics without music a lot, just because they are so interesting. Of course, I still will like a band even if the lyrics kind of suck as long as the instruments are good and the vox isn't too powermetalish.

Never heard of them, should I give it a try?
Between, if it's anything like Cannibal Corpse, I'm not interested!

Lyrics are very important to me. If I like a song, I have to know the lyrics. It just bothers me if I don't know what a word is.

Heres the if the music is good I'll ignore bad lyrics. Opeth however has amazing lyrics. I especaly love the 2 concept albums. Sometims I'll just sit there for a hour dissecting the lyrics. Morningrise has great lyrics too, especaily Black Rose Imortal. BWP has rather cliched lyrics if you ask me, but theres still some good lyrics in there.

Opeth manages to make somewhat romantic sounding lyrics (in the linguistic sense, not the emotional) that never fall into "flowery I'm-so-artsy-yet-incredibly-depressed" goth type territory.

Yeah a couple of days ago I just sat there on the Lyrics section of the main Opeth page just reading through the lyrics to MAYH and Still Life trying to understand the story. I have to agree, Mikael really knows how to paint images with his words, very vividly too... most Opeth lyrics intrigue me, it's a change from the straight forward 'fuck you all' or 'I got dumped oh I'm so depressed' thing.

Yeah I do. A couple of days ago I was just on the main site for ages just going over the lyrics for MAYH and Still Life, trying to take in the storylines. I have to agree that Mikael really knows how to paint vivid images with his words and most Opeth lyrics leave me intrigued... it's a good change from the straight forward 'fuck you all' or 'I just got dumped oh I'm so depressed' thing.

I appreciate Mikael's lyrics...
I think they're lyrics play a part as far as adding to their style...
Instead of writing about Satan or Gore, or whatever many black and death acts use for lyrical concepts, Mikael uses forest glades, orchards, dramatic death, among other things, and some thought provoking passages; which I think is a progressive step adding to their progressive musical style...