Is Per officially one of Opeth???

It's awesome that Per is part of the band now. They already had tons of depth with just two guitars, but now with a keyboardist, they can really stretch things out. I'm forseeing them using Per in such a way that Rick Wright was in Pink Floyd. Really light touches alot of the time, but everynow and then there is gonna be an amazing keyboard/piano passage and we'll all probably appreciate Per's contributions.

Well, there's nothing wrong with Silhouette, it's great. But I think they should do like they always did: don't get repetative. I like the keyboard/piano parts occasionally, and I think Per's a cool guy and fits the band. However, I would have to wait for the new album before I can judge, but maybe it's a better idea to just have Per for only one album. Unless it turns out reaaally cool, but come on, Opeth is all about guitars, drum and bass. That's it. I'd much rather have dramatic acoustic interludes than long piano intro's or outro's.

Of course they could have both. But my point is to not over-do the keyboards. Honestly, I don't know what it would add to the (heavier) songs, but we will all wait and see. I'd really like to hear what the keyboards adds to the new album, and what kind of music Per writes. I'm really excited! :)

Moonstruck said:
Well, there's nothing wrong with Silhouette, it's great. But I think they should do like they always did: don't get repetative. I like the keyboard/piano parts occasionally, and I think Per's a cool guy and fits the band. However, I would have to wait for the new album before I can judge, but maybe it's a better idea to just have Per for only one album. Unless it turns out reaaally cool, but come on, Opeth is all about guitars, drum and bass. That's it. I'd much rather have dramatic acoustic interludes than long piano intro's or outro's.

Of course they could have both. But my point is to not over-do the keyboards. Honestly, I don't know what it would add to the (heavier) songs, but we will all wait and see. I'd really like to hear what the keyboards adds to the new album, and what kind of music Per writes. I'm really excited! :)

Opeth is only about guitars, drums and bass....so far. Before damnation, you would have said opeth is only about clean to distorted dynamics, not all clean and mellow albums. :Smug:

Progressive bands actually PROGRESS.

unlike dream theater :p

I sure hope he doesn't become a full time member. Opeth has what it needs now. If they got a full time keyboardist people would think they were just like all the other "black" metal bands, and they're not.

I know the band probably likes our imput on matters like this. But, Per seems alright. I'm just going to sit back and wait for the next cd, see what they can amaze me with now. Besides the more the merrier. :D

It´s really hard for me to say if I´m for or against Per being a fulltime member. It could be cool to have more keys in Opeth´s music BUT not if it means experimenting less with guitar sounds, or that this loses importance in any way that would be tragic for Opeth IMO.

Is he a memeber or not? Mike said it in the Lamentations DVD, that now they were 5 and not 4. So I think he is a full time member now. But I hope he is not. Would be nice if he just played a little piano and did some backup vocals sometimes, and not more.

Deathwhisperedalullaby said:
I sure hope he doesn't become a full time member. Opeth has what it needs now. If they got a full time keyboardist people would think they were just like all the other "black" metal bands, and they're not.
Have you ever actualy listened to black metal?

Have you ever actualy listened to black metal?
I think he meant symphonic black metal like: Cradle, Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir etc etc.

I really am not going to whine about per in the band. It would be interesting to have some other piano effects but I hope they still maintain the creative guitaring.