Is Projector Worth buying

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
I bought damage done. Its not bad. But nothing great. I wouldnt buy another cd by dt if this is all they have to offer. Is projector a better cd? I hear the lyrics are clean. And that my friend is a good thing. Input plz?

No, it's not really. And Dark Tranquillity aren't even that good. I reccommend Reroute to Remain by In Flames...

Nah, seriously, Projector is a softer, more almost 'gothy' album...at times it tends to be slower than the other albums, and yes, the vocals are clean for most of the time. Projector is one of those love/hate type albums, where people absolutely love it, or people absolutely hate it. I'm in the love category, and feel it would be well worth a listen.

Projector involves a lot of clean vocals, and is a somewhat different beast from DD. As is Haven, Gallery, TMI, Skydancer...

DT have changed their style quite substantially between cds as a rule. Judging them all after listening to wrong is an error.

projector is certainly enough of a "different" album to be worthy of your attention if you thought dd is ok.
then again, why don't you just dload it first and then decide?

rahvin.

Don't let the RIAA hear that, apparently they've gone all 'resistance is futile' on us...
By the way, does anyone know whether bands such as Dark Tranquillity on the Century Media label, and the various European labels are in any way linked to the RIAA? They say that what we do is copyright theft, yet from what I've seen, underground bands love peer to peer as it helps develop their fanbase...personally, if I hear an mp3 that I like, I go off and buy the album. Its increased my CD sales rather than decreased them. Any opinions?

I have heard There In? I think its called from projector. I loved it. Are all the songs along those lines? Is that the strongest song on the album or que? I cant dled songs off of kazaa because Kazaa is banned by the company in which i work for. I couldnt even if i wanted to. I can dled from websites however. Anybody know any sites i can hear a couple mp3's off of this album from. Plz help.

i know for a fact that century media would whine and kick and scream if they ever got to read any public statement from their bands about liking p2p software and the likes. then again, i'm not the band.

my personal opinion is that there are very few cases when mp3 sharing really hurt the record sales of a band.
1. when a band has a lot of occasional listeners who buy mainstream music because it's cool to have it, then finding the songs on the net is actually a substitute for buying the album. i say: let's come down hard on these guys, they don't even deserve the music they listen to.
2. when a band's fake records have actually a chance of being sold on the black market, therefore "tricking" possible customers into buying copies that do not help the band or its label survive. i say: let's come down hard on the black market because that is theft.

but consider the remaining 90% of cases. i have to decide whether to buy a new record by dark tranquillity or not. what happens if i find the songs online?
well, for once i get to listen to the record and decide if i like it or not. if i don't, i won't buy it. is this wrong? how? am i supposed to buy stuff i don't like?
if i like it, well, it depends. i suppose if i like it a lot i go buy it anyway, but let's say i don't and compare this situation with me not finding the songs on the net anyway. if i couldn't reach the songs online for free, would i ever decide to go and buy it? no fucking way.

so i see no loss for the band at all. i personally download, and keep, and don't buy, wagonloads of stuff. if tomorrow i can't find any of it anymore, i won't go buy it anyway. the band would not get my money either way, they're not losing a single euro/penny/dollar on me.
i think the vast majority of underground bands know this perfectly well and actually sees p2p software as a way to spread their music and gain potential new customers: people who start thinking about a purchase only because they've heard your stuff online.

this said, i think my role as a mod here is fulfilled when i draw a line on direct links to copyrighted material without the agreement of its owner(s). this is not just for dt's songs, but anything: this is an official board for the band and whatever takes place here is somewhat under their responsibility. we don't want no trouble, so explicit links are out of the question. also, i personally find comments on new dark tranquillity material before it's officially out to be in bad taste, and slightly disrespectful towards the band. everyone is so kind as to not investigate anyone's p2p activity, and i think it's just normal to ask people not to hang huge big posters about it in return.
mirroring the band's opinion on both mp3 sharing and freedom of speech, though, i feel it perfectly safe to allow all sorts of suggestion about, reference to and discussion on the topic.

rahvin.

AllWithinMyMonster said:
I have heard There In? I think its called from projector. I loved it. Are all the songs along those lines? Is that the strongest song on the album or que? I cant dled songs off of kazaa because Kazaa is banned by the company in which i work for. I couldnt even if i wanted to. I can dled from websites however. Anybody know any sites i can hear a couple mp3's off of this album from. Plz help.

i think maybe if you ask some user privately he'll be glad to help you by sending you some songs via icq, msn messenger, aol, or any other "chatty" thing your company might not be interested in censoring. if this is not possible, i'm sure some user might have a couple of snippets online somewhere: just ask them through private message and... well, for obvious reasons, don't ask me ;)

rahvin.

To answer the first issue, yes, Projector is different. I'm in the love category and i think it's a pretty original album.

To asnwer the second issue, i would have never ever started buying metal cds (or generally cds for that matter), had i not loved the bands and their songs first, by listening to them in mp3 format. And when i really like a band or an album, somehow i always end up buying it, be it for the artwork or for the sheer joy of holding the real thing in my hands. So definitely no band and no company has lost money from me, they sure have gained. :)

Only pc i have access to is at work. I dont own one. So these bands i get into start from word of mouth. I seek out samples which is just toal drudgery. And then i purchase

AllWithinMyMonster said:

Projector is a varied album, but Therein is about the most typical song there is off it. IMO, its about mid-strength for that album, but it is a favourite with a lot of people and a live staple.

It may be their greatest album. I absolutely love it. The clean vocals are great, and every song except UnDo Control is required listening for all Dark Tranquillity fans, big or small. Best songs are ThereIn and On Your Time, I think.

As for Projector, I belong to the "love" category, in fact this last week it's been on repeat on my stereo... It's great :) I first had it on mp3 only, and then burned it on a cd. I intend to buy the original, ultimately I'd like to have all my cds as originals, thing is I just can't afford to buy everything at once...

As for downloading; with my lovely :rolleyes: 56k modem and my limited internet access, it really isn't such a good idea to download whole albums - one song takes me about 20-30 minutes usually. The albums I have as mp3s are usually presents from friends with better connections than what I have, but I don't like asking them to get me stuff. So if I want an album it really makes no difference if I buy it or download it, I'll have to pay either way... so I usually just buy it. I bought Damage Done on impulse, without having heard a single song by DT before, and I loved it. My impulse buys usually turn out well, so I don't really mind :) except my record collection is smaller than I'd like it to be... So I don't really see myself as hurting the record industry that much... dunno, I guess I have mixed feelings on the issue. End of ranting...