Is the Metal Pack a good move for the XT?

Get it. Just make sure you don't pay full price. Theres a work-around where you can order the expansion packs for the toneport for half the price of the xt packs, and load them onto your xt. They're the same thing, they just price them differently for different intended hardware. Apparently Line6 knows about the workaround but doesn't seem to care, as the "trick" is all over their support forums and they haven't (as far as I know since I last bought an upgrade) done anything to prevent people from doing it. They probably figure it gets people to buy more upgrades when they think they're saving a lot of money. I got the Bass pack for $50, and the classic pack for $25. Unfortunately I didn't know about the trick until after I had paid full price for the metal shop and fx junkie packs. Could've saved myself a buck er two.

I use the Triple Rec (MS Diamondplate) and Diezel models a fair bit, and I don't even play a ton of metal; not modern metal, at least. IIRC, the Marshall Silver Jubilee is part of the metal pack as well, and I use that quite often too. The Uberschall model is fun, but I never got a tone out of it that I really used myself (though I like the Ecstasty model from the Classic pack.)

The Big Bottom model seems to be the go-to model for League Of Djentlemen- all the Meshuggah-inspired players out there.

I managed to get a fairly decent tone from the Treadplate model that comes standard with Gearbox this weekend. I figure if I can get good tones out the basic stuff, the expansion stuff's gonna be golden!

I just wish there was a better EQ on Gearbox itself, there doesn't seem to be much you can do with the 2k area.

Uladyne, $49.99 is the cheapest then, yeah?

I'd have to check again, but when I was last looking at the upgrade prices for my Podxt, they had the metalshop pack for the guitar port for I think $25. It might work differently for gearbox, I'm not sure. They have a return policy I think, so if for some reason you bought the guitar port pack and it didn't work for gearbox like it does for the Pods, you could theoretically return the license or whatever and go the standard (full price) route.

I just checked line6's site, and the price for the guitar port metal shop pack is still $25, but I'm not sure how the upgrade works for the gearbox plugin. From what I can tell it looks like maybe you're supposed to have some line6 hardware to host the upgrade pack, like a guitarport or podxt or whatever. If you have a guitarport, then it should be fine, if not, you might want to poke around their forums to see how exactly the upgrade works. I haven't a clue. I'm assuming though that if you're supposed to purchase the pack from the drop down list of available devices, you should go with the guitarport one, because it's cheapest.

Go here:

http://line6.com/store/storefront.html?hardwareID=1

Notice the little drop down selector menu thingamajig. It should say guitar port. Fiddle around with it a bit and notice the price difference for the model packs between the guitarport and everything else. The guitar port model packs are half the price of the pod model packs. The thing is, the products are the same thing. When I bought the bass pack and the collectors classics pack about 8 months or so ago I bought the "guitarport" versions, and they work just fine on my Podxt. I wish I knew about this trick before I bought the metal shop and fx junkie packs at podxt prices.

As long as your pod is registered and legit and everything it should work fine. If I remember right they just give you like a personal activation key when you pay them, and then you connect your pod to their site or whatever with that line6 monkey program and use your activation key they give you to download the pack you purchased.

I'd almost feel bad about "sneaking" around and getting shit cheaper, but theres no way in hell that line6 doesn't know about this trick. When I learned about it, people were already doing it for close to a year, and talking about it on the line6 support forums, so if line6 had a problem with it I'm sure they would've fixed it long before I took advantage of it. I think they turn their heads because they know more people who are on the fence about purchasing an upgrade will go ahead and get it if they think they're getting a "secret deal." Or maybe its like a reward for doing a little research, like a hidden level on a videogame you can only play if you explore a bit.

If for some reason it doesn't work, like if they for some reason recently decided to put an end to all these podxt users getting their packs at guitarport prices, just pretend like you accidentally purchased the wrong thing and return the license key. They give you a 30 day money back satisfaction gurantee I think it is.

On Ghost Reveries i used the MF400 for the main rythms. To be honest i can't remember what amps we used, i know it was one Mesa double Rectifier, but i must get back and... Oh no!!! Never ment to give this away, but the secondary pair was actually a POD XT with the (at the time new) Metal Pack! I see a shit storm coming this way. :)

Look what I found :)

Just got round to buying the metal pack. I'm loving the Big Bottom model, definitely inspiring me to do those crazy bends and time sigs! Needless to say my fingers are now killing, lol.

It's gonna take hours of fiddling and tweaking to get some models sounding good, but definitely worth the cash!

Go here:

http://line6.com/store/storefront.html?hardwareID=1

Notice the little drop down selector menu thingamajig. It should say guitar port. Fiddle around with it a bit and notice the price difference for the model packs between the guitarport and everything else. The guitar port model packs are half the price of the pod model packs.

I owe you a tequila shot and a White Russian hahahaha, I just bought it a few days ago and actually works just fine :headbang:

I just checked line6's site, and the price for the guitar port metal shop pack is still $25, but I'm not sure how the upgrade works for the gearbox plugin. From what I can tell it looks like maybe you're supposed to have some line6 hardware to host the upgrade pack, like a guitarport or podxt or whatever. If you have a guitarport, then it should be fine, if not, you might want to poke around their forums to see how exactly the upgrade works. I haven't a clue. I'm assuming though that if you're supposed to purchase the pack from the drop down list of available devices, you should go with the guitarport one, because it's cheapest.

I just did this 10 minutes ago... wouldn't have gotten the full pack unless you posted about this. Cheers bro! MUCH appreciated!!:headbang: