Is there VST reverbs that can do THIS?!

nezvers

Beast
Oct 5, 2010
Latvia, Riga
I run over Strymon BigSky demo video and I was amazed of it's variety reverbs and quality of it. But I can't afford luxury like this, so I'm wondering is there VST reverb that can do that? I know I could use some reverb plugs I have, heavy compress it and use plenty of chorus/ flanger and deconvolve it. But in that way I can't get tweakability, because without deconvolving comp won't make sustained all notes eaven and modulation will be noticable becouse of continious modulation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvH8Or_rkFY

Zoom MS70CDR looks affordable for me and usable too. Not that shimmery as Strymon BigSky but close enough for what I would like to get.
Edit: it has even shimmer one. That's awesome news for me.

Sounds amazing! I'll like to try it on vocals, just to see if turns them to sound like some vocals-larger-than-life that you can ear on Devin Townsend records :)

Valhalla Shimmer and the Behringer RV600 Reverb Machine are your cheapest options for the "shimmer" effect. Other notable pieces of gear that will do "shimmer":

Rack:

Eventide H3000 (don't know if the Eclipse will do it but I suppose it should have the famed "Crystals" algo that started it all)

Pedal:

Line 6 Verbzilla
Eventide Pitchfactor
Eventide Space
Eventide H9
Zoom MS70CDR
Mooer Shimverb
Behringer RV600 Reverb Machine
Strymon BlueSky
Strymon BigSky
Stymon Timeline
Line 6 M series multifx (M5, M13, etc)
Some of the newer Zoom multis should be capable of this as well.

VST:

Valhalla Shimmer
Soundtoys Crystalizer
Native Instruments Psychedelay (included in guitar rig)
or alternatively, any reverse delay or reverse reverb and a pitch shifter, with some creative routing ;)

If I remeber correctly, a shimmer effect is a reverse reverb with an octave or two up pitcshifter in the feedback loop (meaning only the reverse reverb signal undergoes the pitch shifting), but you can also use a reverse delay to achieve a similar, and in my experience somewhat more controlled effect that you may or may not prefer, and add reverb afterwards to make it bloom.

History lesson: The "trick" was first employed by none other than Brian Eno, before the folks behind the H3000 (two thirds of whom are now Soundtoys, the other third being Dave Derr of Empirical Labs who did the analog side of the box ;) ) made a patch to do this.

I remember the Midas Pro6 I had at work on my previous job was capable of some fun shimmer style stuff on it's pitch shifter effect. I know this is besides the point, but if you have the pleasure of working with one live...

Hope I've helped :)

Any reverb will do this, if it has a pitch shifter in it's feedback loop. Granted there's some filtering and spillover (which means you require a buffer), but those are details. The more parameters the reverb and pitch shifter have, the better control you will get over it. As I said, I prefer using a delay to get my shimmer, but YMMV ;)

Rack:
Eventide H3000

Pedal:
Line 6 Verbzilla
Eventide Pitchfactor
Eventide Space
Eventide H9
Zoom MS70CDR
Mooer Shimverb
Behringer RV600 Reverb Machine
Strymon BlueSky
Strymon BigSky
Stymon Timeline
Line 6 M series multifx (M5, M13, etc)
Some of the newer Zoom multis should be capable of this as well.

VST:

Valhalla Shimmer
Soundtoys Crystalizer
Native Instruments Psychedelay (included in guitar rig)

Well for rack stuff I know that AxeFX has it and line 6 Pod HD pro.
For pedals line 6 HD series too, because they share most FX with M series.

this looks and sounds absolutely amazing, but for a great shimmer on the cheap, i can't recommend the line 6 verbzilla enough, the studio has one and i love it so much i bought one for my pedal board, got it for £60 second hand, it is basically always set to the octo-verb setting though,