Is this possible in Logic 9?

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Does anyone know if there's a way to play two regions on the same track overlapping at the same time?

Like Free Item Positioning Mode in Reaper for example.

What I want to do is record a section of drums and have the drummer stop before the downbeat of the next section, letting all his cymbals and drums ring out. Then punch and record the next section starting on the down beat, but not have to worry about any edits or crossfades, just let the previous section ring over top. I used to do this in Reaper all the time because drummers could never play the same fill when I asked them to play along with the end of the previous part so I could crossfade, or because it was tricky to get into the next part tightly.

So is there anyway to layer the ring out from a previous region that spills into the next bar over top of a new region on that bar? Or do I have to make 2 sets of drum tracks and go back and forth between them section by section and then consolidate them down in pairs? :erk:

I dicked around with it for about 10 minutes. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do it. I figured the glue tool or merging the two tracks would do it but I could not get it to merge the way you desired without a crossfade, which would be too obtrusive and obvious. Does using the comping feature sound too unmusical? Drums are punched all the time this way. Hell they did it on the Dream Theater "Train of Thought" album and I couldn't ever hear it.

PM Waterboy and maybe he'll have an answer for both of us! Haha