Is vs. Are

Do you use Is or Are when referring to bands?

• Is

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Are

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Varies randomly

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
Aug 31, 2004
Which do you use to refer to a band, or do you use only one specifically?

I'll have to go with are.......that generally sounds better.

I haven't really paid attention to it.....so what do you use? This poll assumes that we're talking about "bands" as in with multiple people in them and not one-person projects, so let your vote reflect that assumption.

absolutely retarded thread, you use is when you are talking about a single band, hence the singular tense, you use are when your are referring to mulitple bands, band members etc..... I can't beleive this is even a question.

Minion520 said:
absolutely retarded thread, you use is when you are talking about a single band, hence the singular tense, you use are when your are referring to mulitple bands, band members etc..... I can't beleive this is even a question.

This guy has no clue about English.

It's less retarded than other threads here, and what you said really doesn't pertain much to what I asked.

hi bp maybe you shuoudl make a category called "assfuck" and more people will visit your thread ok

i voted the last one i dunno

One is British, one is American.

British people tend to refer to entities that are singular but made up of multiple sub-entities in the plural form, like:

BMW are releasing their new car on Wednesday.

Americans tend to use the singular:

BMW is releasing their new car on Wednesday.

Being British, the latter looks really wrong to me, but I should imagine the converse is true for an American.

DE said:
One is British, one is American.

British people tend to refer to entities that are singular but made up of multiple sub-entities in the plural form, like:

BMW are releasing their new car on Wednesday.

Americans tend to use the singular:

BMW is releasing their new car on Wednesday.

Being British, the latter looks really wrong to me, but I should imagine the converse is true for an American.
and i, having lived in both countries, still think the correct grammar is "is" and "are" both, as in my examples at the top.

a band is one entity. a band is made of multiple people. thus, when referring to the band, it is singular, when referring to the group of people using the band's name, it is plural.

Band A have long hair.
Band A is touring this year.

Silent Song said:
and i, having lived in both countries, still think the correct grammar is "is" and "are" both, as in my examples at the top.

a band is one entity. a band is made of multiple people. thus, when referring to the band, it is singular, when referring to the group of people using the band's name, it is plural.

Band A have long hair.
Band A is touring this year.

i don't care where you've lived you're wrong fyi