Isis

I do like Isis a bit, so I bought Oceanic last year. Yea It's good, but it's maybe the most heavy album I've listened to, along with Funeral's From These Wounds. It really makes me feel like I'm drowning in icy water without knowing how to swim. First time I listened it I looked at the clock when I started, I looked again after spending maybe 30 minutes lying on the bed and listening, I had actually started only about 8 minutes ago. That should describe how "heavy" and "long" trip Oceanic is to me. The only thing I don't really like is the vocals, not really my type ;(

I really like Isis.

Oceanic, Panopticon and ITAOT are all very good, my favourite is Panopticon. I'll take a look at their DVD (Clearing the Eye), and I'm also anticipating their new one.

Me neither. The drummer was taught by Danny Carey though, although I don't think he sounds like a clone.

The most recent album is the only thing that had anything to do with Tool, really.

I'm surprised at the lackluster reception this band is getting here. I thought they were really good at their best.

It doesn't really surprise me. They aren't really the sort of band that appeals to your average death/black/thrash metal fan. And the 'post-metal' label would be enough to make most metal fans run a mile without even hearing them.

I've never actually given them a full listen, but I've always heard them described as a poor man's Neurosis. Any truth?

nuerosis is in their own league of post/sludge/doom. they are one of isis's biggest influiences. ISIS is pretty fucking amazing...who doesnt love long heavy trippy metal? a lot of people seem to dislike their latest but its still good. ISIS,Pelican,Cult of luna, and mouth of the architect are all top notch post metal.