Isis

Elysian Blaze

The Blade
Aug 1, 2002
Hagerstown, MD
Recently, I downloaded the song "Carry" by Isis from Century Media's website, and I was, for a lack of stronger words, fucking floored. This song instantly became one of my favorites in recent times and it just gets better with each listen. What I'm asking from you guys [since you all seem to adore Isis] is for:

Recommendations: Where do you guys think I should go from here, seeing how I just downloaded "Carry" and I love it?

Information: Any kind of web sites that you guys may frequent. Where are they from? How many albums do they have? Et cetera.

If you guys could reply, that'd be great. And on one last note, do any of you guys compare Isis to Neurosis or is it just me? At the 4:00 mark on "Carry", everything comes together and it just seems to have that whole "wall-o'-sound" style that Neurosis have.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Elysian Blaze
Recently, I downloaded the song "Carry" by Isis from Century Media's website, and I was, for a lack of stronger words, fucking floored. This song instantly became one of my favorites in recent times and it just gets better with each listen. What I'm asking from you guys [since you all seem to adore Isis] is for:

Recommendations: Where do you guys think I should go from here, seeing how I just downloaded "Carry" and I love it?

Information: Any kind of web sites that you guys may frequent. Where are they from? How many albums do they have? Et cetera.

If you guys could reply, that'd be great. And on one last note, do any of you guys compare Isis to Neurosis or is it just me? At the 4:00 mark on "Carry", everything comes together and it just seems to have that whole "wall-o'-sound" style that Neurosis have.

Thanks!

For starters, they are not on CM records, but on ipecac records (as of Oceanic at least):

http://www.ipecac.com/

Band's page on ipecac site:

http://www.ipecac.com/bio.php?id=15

I'm just getting into them myself, so I don't know a lot about them (O'blivion is the big Isis on fan on here), but I bought their CD "Celestial" last week.

I don't think it's as good as Oceanic, but it's still pretty impressive. I would recommend trying the song "Celestial (the tower)", its my favorite song on the album so far.

Well... I just listened to "Carry" and some other song (it was so boring I already forgot the title), and I just don't really see what the big deal is. I can't believe that people were comparing them to Opeth in an earlier thread (and if you're going to call me a fanboy or some shit, feel free to feast of my rectum). I will admit that they are somewhat atmospheric, but their riffs are sooooo simplistic and repetitive that I can't understand how anyone could get enjoyment out of repeat listens. While the vocals were rather monotonous, they didn't bother me, but they don't stand a chance against Mikael's voice. I can't see these songs growing on me either, as I usually need at least a LITTLE complexity to keep me interested.

It doesn't help that I just discovered Maudlin of the Well either. ;)

People shouldn't get the impression that just because they like Opeth, they will automatically like Isis. The two bands have almost nothing in common. The only thing that they DO have in common is a requirement for patience and an open mind (both using a lot of non standard/progressive song structures).

Although I guess both bands could be described as "atmospheric", but in very different ways.

It's repetitive and melodies are simple, but there are several at once and they work well together. I could listen to them forever. I guess the melodies evoke a mood in some people and not in others.

I think that when people were comparing the bands, they were actually comparing emotions that both bands elicit. I have to admit, whenever "Carry" hits that 4:00, it rivals, emotionally, a lot of the stuff Opeth has done, and pretty much levels everything else.

Isis is actually fairly complex in the sense that they don't use power chords usually, and that there are many many layers of melodies, as someone said. That's a lot more complex than playing a straightforward riff that has a lot of notes shoveled into it. The drummer also plays some good time signatures, such as in 'Weight'.

Isis own.

I listened to Carry and a few other songs several times and I really wanted to like Isis, but I can't seem to get into them. I'm sure Isis is really good, just doesn't seem to be my thing...

However, I second what someone else has said here... I too have just recently gotten into Maudlin of the Well...

Originally posted by TrevJ
Well... I just listened to "Carry" and some other song (it was so boring I already forgot the title), and I just don't really see what the big deal is. I can't believe that people were comparing them to Opeth in an earlier thread (and if you're going to call me a fanboy or some shit, feel free to feast of my rectum). I will admit that they are somewhat atmospheric, but their riffs are sooooo simplistic and repetitive that I can't understand how anyone could get enjoyment out of repeat listens. While the vocals were rather monotonous, they didn't bother me, but they don't stand a chance against Mikael's voice. I can't see these songs growing on me either, as I usually need at least a LITTLE complexity to keep me interested.

It doesn't help that I just discovered Maudlin of the Well either. ;)
a lot of Opeth fans seem to be caught in a listening paradox. they love Opeth's long, winding, adventurous songs, which require more patience and love for music than the average music listener is capable of. at the same time, though, their attention spans need not be too great, as Opeth concentrate mostly on the high end, and change riffs quite frequently. their music for the most part is horizontally complex, built on the process of stringing ideas together into cohesive bundles.

on the flipside of composition you find ISIS. ISIS compose layer upon layer of shifting, evolving (and therefore orgasmic) motifs that are all connected to a central theme. their music is vertically complex, as they use the full spectrum of low end to high end. In the course of a moment one idea may be in the foreground as other motifs clash, meld, or complement in the background. they are likewise horizontally complex, but on a grander scale than Opeth as the music is constantly shifting, but simultaneously gravitating toward the central theme. thus an ISIS song is as a beautiful painting on a massive, sprawling canvas. they are very hard to get into for this reason. once you listen to a song like 'Weight,' for instance, about 30 times, you begin to see the bigger picture, and how every layered sound at any given moment is related to what is developing at any other given moment during the song. as Eld said, this is a far more complex and skilled approach to composition.

it is evident that Mikael has evolved as a composer when you compare the first couple of albums to the more recent ones, especially Deliverance. his compositional skill is greater now than it was when he first started out with Orchid. he is now able to evolve and integrate ideas more fluidly, and often simultaneously. i was surprised by the vertical complexity in BWP. it was easily Mikaels most mature and concentrated effort of the first five releases, but many people seemed to dismiss it in confusion. i think it is very much for the same reason they dismiss ISIS now. Still Life is still my favourite, though, with unbelievable songwriting through and through.

Originally posted by Elysian Blaze

Thanks!
for what ever reason, ISIS have tried to remain as obscure as possible. you will find very little info about them. their

official site has no info whatsover on the band. the Ipecac site has a short bio on them though.

i suggest getting a hold of any ISIS material you can, as it's all excellent. their releases are as follows:

Mosquito Control EP - their first release. mind-blowingly original. from the very beginning they had this otherworldly approach to guitar playing that it very hard to describe in words.

Red Sea - originally released as an EP, but released again as a full length with more tracks that have appeared on various obscure compilations. among these is included one of my all time favourite songs, 'Ochre.' all in all, another superb, crushing, original release

Celestial - the first official ISIS album. after two years this seemingly infinite opus is still growing on me. there is simply nothing else like this ever conceived or recorded by another human being. i would argue, by my definition, that it is the heaviest album of all time. it is also a completely enveloping, relaxing, spiritual experience. at times it has made me feel as if my consciousness is as vast as the universe. i believe this was ISIS' aim in creating Celestial.

SGNL>05 EP: the companion to Celestial. an expansion of the celestial journey.

Oceanic - a refinement of the ideals put forth before. from a musical standpoint, a work of absolute genius that may never be surpassed... except maybe by ISIS themselves.

Neurosis and ISIS are definitely related in that their music as an entity is something beyond mere music. it is art in the truest sense. it is also music as an educator, as a device that causes introspection, revealing the true nature of self, of man, and of the universe. Neurosis is my favourite band for those reasons. there is something timeless about the music, as if what we are hearing is the hopes and dreams of a million generations pouring across the soundscape. ISIS have tapped the same well, drawing out the essence of existence and releasing it in sonic waves that clash and bind, and then sublimate our consciousness to some higher plane of existence. these are the reasons i set Neurosis, ISIS, and even Enslaved apart from other bands that i consider brilliant, such as Opeth. they transcend mere music.

Neurosis and ISIS are definitely related in that their music as an entity is something beyond mere music. it is art in the truest sense. it is also music as an educator, as a device that causes introspection, revealing the true nature of self, of man, and of the universe. Neurosis is my favourite band for those reasons. there is something timeless about the music, as if what we are hearing is the hopes and dreams of a million generations pouring across the soundscape. ISIS have tapped the same well, drawing out the essence of existence and releasing it in sonic waves that clash and bind, and then sublimate our consciousness to some higher plane of existence.

All that are very beautiful words, really...
But do you have concrete exemples to support those "facts" or "theories" or whatever (ex: specific part of a song which shows concretly your point). Don't get me wrong, the purpose of my post has no negative intents...I like ISIS, but not as much as you do and I would really like too...so that's why I'm asking for help.

Another thing bothers me...you seem to think that a more structured song is better than a non-structured one which is, in my opinion, a non-sense. Based on your sayings, Mozart outclass Beethoven musically...and if you push further your thesis, Homère is a better writer than Goethe...

Clarifying your statement would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

O'blivion, are we the same person? It's funny because whenever I see your posts they reflect my exact same thoughts, and it's also quite rare that two people would have the same favorite bands (Neurosis, Isis, Enslaved, etc).

I added you to my msn but I've never seen you on.

There are about 5 people here that have stressed how much they like Isis. Way more people have said how bad they are. Hardly overrated. Just because you don't see what's so great about them doesn't mean they aren't great.

Originally posted by Eld
There are about 5 people here that have stressed how much they like Isis. Way more people have said how bad they are. Hardly overrated. Just because you don't see what's so great about them doesn't mean they aren't great.

I agree...

As Changso pointed out earlier, he's wondering exactly what kind of concrete details we can give him for why Isis' are the way that O'blivion described them earlier. Well, it's a difficult question, anyway here is what me and Changso came up with. Add what you think -

ChangSo00: It's just that I would like so much to understand more about ISIS
opethblack: man you cant give examples for stuff like that, its just how it sounds.
ChangSo00: no...
ChangSo00: why?
opethblack: how do you say 'Carry' "is a device that causes introspection, revealing the true nature of self, of man, and of the universe"
ChangSo00: simply because you takes those exemples out of something
ChangSo00: I want to know the something
opethblack: its just how you interpret the music when you hear it.
ChangSo00: yeah maybe but a you must be able to say why do you interpret it that way...it's like to say: it's good but I don't know why
opethblack: I think me and O'blivion both listen to Isis and Neurosis and we hear two bands that are playing from their hearts, and we get the feeling that everything we're hearing is brutally honest when we listen to either band.
opethblack: Thats why we feel that the music causes introspection, and it reveals the true nature of man, self, and the universe.
opethblack: Or thats why we feel its like the hopes and dreams of millions of people.
ChangSo00: I presume but why...what in music does give you that particular feeling.
opethblack: That's a difficult question really. It's just emotional stuff.
ChangSo00: yeah but let's take the Drams of millions of people!
opethblack: It's hard to explain why something makes you feel the way it does. It's like looking at the sunset and it makes to happy or sad - do you really know why?
ChangSo00: What in Isis makes you say that!
ChangSo00: yeah I would know
opethblack: lol
ChangSo00: but man deams of millions of people.......what's this? I'm not saying it's untrue, I just want to understand as much as you do
opethblack: thats just how powerful the music is to us.
opethblack: The music carries so much power and emotion that it seems like it brings together every little surrounding detail.
ChangSo00: now I understand a little more...but I'm still a little blind.
opethblack: and ugly
Changso00: that too.