isp decimator g-string

the g-string is quite cool together with a engl fireball for example. you can use the clean channel and the solo channel without switching the pedal. I always had issues that the clean tone would cut off because the isp's threshold was set to the solo channel.

Could someone who's actually tested all the systems make real comparison of the ISP Decimator with the BOSS NS-2 and Rocktron Hush, and/or any other noise reduction device? I mean what they really do to the signal, how they actually affect your tone, which one is better for each situation (live or recording), etc.

I have the BOSS NS-2, it works well for live performances, but I would not use it for recording. I plug the guitar to the input and the output straight to the front end of my amp, just to remove the guitar's noise when I'm not playing. I also tried using it connected to the effects loop with the send/return, but that's where it sucks the tone from the amp (Dual Rectifier). Maybe I haven't took the time to test it right. But I supposed using the same "threshold" setting for your guitar and preamp just doesn't work right.

I own the Boss NS 2 and also the Decimator Pro Rack G, and I must say that the decimator kicks the NS 2 ass so hard that it is still flying..
Actually I think that the NS 2 is a big tone sucker, while the Decimator is very transparent and really doesn't affect your tone at all.

Have both the ns-2 and the decimator and use both in the one rig. I ended up favouring the ns-2 for the effects chain, it works great at keeping the noise from the pedals quiet, using it in the loop mode, and I favour using the decimator in the effects loop of the amp.

So, ns-2 to keep your pedals quiet and decimator to keep the amp quiet. With the ns-2 off, I get a loud ssssshhhhhhhhhh sound and with the decimator off, I get a hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm sound. With both engaged, I can have whatever amp on 4 (fucking loud) stand in front of the amp with the volume up on my guitar and nothing, just the slightest of hums, almost at whisper levels.

The main difference for me between the both is the sustain factor. This is where the decimator kills the ns-2. Notes do not get chopped off with the decimator, thats why I have it in the effects loop. The ns-2 is not a tone sucker for me, its job is to keep the pedals quiet and it does this brilliantly. Some people use the ns-2 like a normal pedal, going into the in and then going out from the out. I have not used it this way so I cannot comment, but the loop function works well.

The decimator is my weapon of choice in a fight. The thing weighs a ton and can come in handy for other things like a chock for your car or an anchor for your boat. Looks damn sexy covered with all that chrome too.

At the end of the day, I would say definately grab the decimator, but if you have the cash, grab both. :kickass:

I've owned the Decimator Pro Rack G, which is great, and I sold it and kept my NS-2. The difference is negligible - if anything it's more possible to have the Decimator suck tone if you dial it wrong.

I've never had an issue with the NS-2 being a tone sucker unless the batteries are dying or there is bad AC power. It just acts as a simple gate, nothing more, and the components are good, so it's impossible for it to tone suck - it's essentially doing the same thing as your guitar's volume knob.

When I go to take a lead, I simply turn off the pedal. Then kick it back on for rhythms. The NS-2 is a noise gate, which is better to me than any kind of filtering process like the Decimator or the Hush. I like getting the full sound of my guitar + amp when I'm playing, even if there is inherent noise, it is still better than any kind of notching or filtering.

The NS-2 is a noise gate, which is better to me than any kind of filtering process like the Decimator or the Hush. I like getting the full sound of my guitar + amp when I'm playing, even if there is inherent noise, it is still better than any kind of notching or filtering.

NS-2 is not a noise gate but a noise supressor, that's why its called NS, and there is some filtering going on.

Does anyone know if there are any advantages to having the Pro Rack G as opposed to the G-string pedal?

The rack version gives you control of the threshold of both channels independent of each other, and you got a filter control, but it also cost a lot more.

ISP FTW! No tone sucking and it's virtually transparent. I have both and A/B'd them in line, and yes I reversed the pedal order just to see, and the ISP took the cake. NS-2 cut notes off funny like and DID suck a bit of the top end off. Keep in mind these are my experiences and should not be tried by those at home. Until I see it on Myth Busters this is just my opinion.

P.S. I had the Hush rack unit and didn't get along with that one. I put it in the loop and every time I adjusted the volume of my amp, the Hush needed to be readjusted accordingly. ISP is built by a former Hush employee, so I would imagine that the proper improvements were instilled in the Decimator.

Decimator after your guitar + Decimator in FX loop = noise annihilation.

Of course get frisky with the threshold knobs and you eliminate your sustain too.

This is a bit of a two part question.

1. Which one of the Decimator pedals would you guys suggest for strickly floor usage. I have a Line 6 M9 and a Maxon VOP-9. Also, it must be noted that I do do a lot of switching between clean and distorted.

2. How would you guys suggest setting up the pedal config? Guitar->VOP-9->Line 6 M9->ISP Decimator->amp? Or are there other configs that work more effectively with noise reduction pedals?

Does anyone know if there are any advantages to having the Pro Rack G as opposed to the G-string pedal?

I have both. The ProRackG is nice, and is more configurable, but the G-string is the EXACT same otherwise. Works just fine as well.