It happend

scorpio01169

Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
well...the computer that i have just for the studio for 4 years never was hooked to the internet, well i moved to another place and the cable/dsl guy came and hooked everything up. well our home computer was still packed so they used my studio pc to make sure the internet was working. as soon as they turned it on all these pop-ups and updates appeared, i didnt update or anything....closed all pop ups. then my wife looks at the wall and says " i wonder what this light switch is to" turned it off and boom......my studio pc shut off. and now it wont boot up...it will only get to the floopy disk read and freezes....it give me a drive read error messege...well geeksquad is coming monday to fix it. that sux.

Fuck man i feel you on this one .. same kinda thing happened to me a couple of months ago and I only had a years worth of stuff on it but still .. its like someone dying

hope you can get those files back

Dont use Geeksquad!!! They are high school kids or kids just out of school that really dont know anything about how a computer functions. Their answer for everything is format and re-install PLUS they will hose you for all kinds of shitty software, even ones that arent compatible with each other

Try this, if you have your windows cd put it in and boot from it, act like you are going to install windows, eventually it will search to see if you have a previous version of windows and after it finds it you will be given some options are the install, the one you want is Repair option--press R. It will reinstall all of the system files without deleting your data or try this

same as above but you want to enter recovery console after you enter the console you will arrive at a dos prompt, enter the following commands

fixmbr

fixboot

it will prompt you if you are sure press Y

It sounds like when the power was cut the master boot record was damaged

Dont use Geeksquad!!! They are high school kids or kids just out of school that really dont know anything about how a computer functions. Their answer for everything is format and re-install PLUS they will hose you for all kinds of shitty software, even ones that arent compatible with each other

Try this, if you have your windows cd put it in and boot from it, act like you are going to install windows, eventually it will search to see if you have a previous version of windows and after it finds it you will be given some options are the install, the one you want is Repair option--press R. It will reinstall all of the system files without deleting your data or try this

same as above but you want to enter recovery console after you enter the console you will arrive at a dos prompt, enter the following commands

fixmbr

fixboot

it will prompt you if you are sure press Y

It sounds like when the power was cut the master boot record was damaged

dude...you are the fucking man.....it worked. thank you so very much. you saved me $180.00 dollars

actually i dont know what happened...i put the disk in and some words flashed and it said click ok...and i did then it rebooted. i wish i knew what that was about but again..thanks

Hey, don't be afraid to call me for computer nerdiness in the future, glad to hear you got this fixed but I'll do this stuff for free in town just to keep the 'Geek Squad' away.

Jeff

Hey, don't be afraid to call me for computer nerdiness in the future, glad to hear you got this fixed but I'll do this stuff for free in town just to keep the 'Geek Squad' away.

Jeff

thanks Jeff.....will call you next time...however i would not let you do it for free....i wouldnt feel right. buy you lunch or something.