It's about that time again....

I hope Opeth start experimenting with orchestration, and just more and more and more various instruments, sounds etc. I want to see them push the boundaries until they can't be pushed anymore without sounding avantgarde.

I'd like to hear more soundscapes, and more focus on the mental impact of the music. Industrial elements, symphonic elements, vintage keys, whatever the hell, as long as it shows compositional maturity.

SacredReich said:
WAIT WAIT, i'll throw you guys a clue : it starts with T and ends with OOL!
The members of Opeth don't have any full-time side projects either. Also, in my opinion, Tool's music is more structurally complicated. Sure, there's no fancy-arse guitar work, but the environment created is much more complex (hope I don't piss anyone off). They take their time making sure that they create the best album they can. Oh, and they like to live life outside of Tool as well.

I hear Per's gonna be contributing keys aswell as rap vocals to the next album.

Moonlapse said:
I hope Opeth start experimenting with orchestration, and just more and more and more various instruments, sounds etc. I want to see them push the boundaries until they can't be pushed anymore without sounding avantgarde.

I'd like to hear more soundscapes, and more focus on the mental impact of the music. Industrial elements, symphonic elements, vintage keys, whatever the hell, as long as it shows compositional maturity.
hmm...I disagree 100% ;)
I'd rather want a really stripped down _metal_ album with stronger songwriting. I don't mind getting rid of the mellotron either. a more "pure" album, so to speak

demonikon said:
whats everone got against Ghost Reveries?...it's a damn good album

Nothing! It's in my top 3!

But the new album, which will take another 2 years I might think.... will hopefully be an extension on what Ghost Reveries is, but then mixed with the Still Life/ BWP style. A bit more consistancy. Maybe some more techinical stuff, more orchestral keyboards. Less songs like Attonement. I don't really like that one. But two Damnation-style songs are pretty OK (Isolation Years!!).

But then again.... Mike will do his own thing!! Altough I'd like to see Peter contributing some more in the songwriting again!

Moonlapse said:

Can't disagree more.

Stick to the two guitars, bass, drums and vocals.

MAYH + SL + BWP = Perfect examples of what I mean.

Moonlapse said:

:kickass: (as long as they don't do a "metallica")

I assume you mean something like "The Mantle" but more intense riffage and technical guitar playing.

and a concept album would make my year.

i think it'll be around summer 2007, theyll take some time off after the summer festivals and souther american dates.

Then probably write and record in early '07 and hopefully it'll be ready by the summer.

Although I'd love to see them back in the US for one more tour in late '06.

There's no need to rush a new album, let them take their time off and vacation.

Powers said:
DRAGONS, BATTLES, FIRE, STEEL!!!

Please :(
gwar? minus dragons?

and mike on his own would be interesting... I love opeth, but I love Mikael Akerfeldt just as much as all of them put together. He is an incredibly talented musician, I think a solo guitar album could be good.

blimey said:
Can't disagree more.

Stick to the two guitars, bass, drums and vocals.

MAYH + SL + BWP = Perfect examples of what I mean.

oh jesus- I just got the worst idea. I should be shot for thinking it.

you know how korn has bagpipes?

yeah. enough said.

at the HOB show in chicago, mikael announced personally that the new album will be titled "i enjoy listening to hip-hop"

(jokingly of course.....).......?:kickass:

The next album won't even have singing until about 4 minutes into it. At that point mikael will proceed to growl more evil than any of us have heard from him in the past. I also predict lopez won't be the drummer, which will make me frown often.