It's the rhythm!

I think I understand Viva, most of you already know this but it makes sense when you realise that its really the first album where the new drummer seems to have had more input, finally it makes katatonia arrive from there sound to a point, most other albums lacked a full time drummer (if you take Jonas but of course he also had the job of singing).

In effect this is what makes this album great, it's good to hear music working like this after years of listening to katatonia I could never of imagined it would sound like this, it's rare a band like this comes along, and get this good.

In effect this is what makes this album great, it's good to hear music working like this after years of listening to katatonia I could never of imagined it would sound like this, it's rare a band like this comes along, and get this good.[/QUOTE]

I will disagree to an extent. True, I love Viva more and more everyday I listen to it but I don't see it as a progression or degression, I simply see it as a change. The drumming is fantastic but i enjoy the drums on all the other albums too, no matter how simplistic they sound, they suited the music and made katatonia into what they are now. I don't doubt the new drummer adds some other element that fits the new sound, he's really good but i can't dismiss earlier efforts as having less of a drum sound. I guess I am just the kind of person who likes simple things in music :headbang:

simple music often sounds boring after you listened to it 10 times +

if you hear more complex musik (like opeth and VE in comparison with erlier albums) you can hear more and more new things. it won't get boring that fast. but that's only my opinion.

godless said:
it won't get boring that fast. but that's only my opinion.
this implies that you are bored of the earlier stuff.

on the other hand... discouraged ones and
brave murder day will last me a LIFE TIME!!