I've finally heard the new Slipknot (insert You Gonna Get Raped pic)

Feb 12, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I know I'm asking for it here, but still I'm very surprised at the new record, its pretty damn good. I was kind of bashing it based on the 3 songs that have been released, but taken in as a whole with an open mind the 14 tracks definitley take them to a new place. This is the type of progression that System of a Down made with "Toxicity". Its not a 'sellout' record so much as its a pushing it to the limits Rick Rubin record.

Anyone else check it out or looking forward to it?

Flame or friend, both are welcome.

Jeffrey Dahmer said:
The fact you use my favorite metal song as your name is disturbing after such a comment.

There's nothing wrong with diversity my friend. I grew up listening to nothing but death metal and grindcore, and still enjoy it and many other forms of music today, Cryptopsy or Coldplay, there's nothing wrong with being open minded. Good music is not exclusive to the extreme genre, it only happens to be my favorite genre.

I've always felt Slipknot has gotten an unfair rep. The mask thing, the jumpsuits, the 'maggots', they all detract from the most important thing - the music, which I feel is worth listening to.

I've always felt Slipknot has gotten an unfair rep. The mask thing, the jumpsuits, the 'maggots', they all detract from the most important thing - the music, which I feel is worth listening to.

I understand that everyone has their opinions and stuff, because I always preach about it, but...no.

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
I understand that everyone has their opinions and stuff, because I always preach about it, but...no.

actually, yes, because they do play music and people listen to what they like. Sorry to tell you, but Slipknot is a band, they do play music, therefore they have music worthy of listening. They wouldnt be this popular if they couldnt make music work.

Its real strange because ive always hated slipknot for their being major sellouts and shit, but this new cd really isnt bad. They have some good things in it. Its all about opinion, but im trying to go into this as open minded as possible because they are the band that so many poseur metalheads say they listen to, but i kind of like the new cd a little.

Close minded people just say that a bad is bad (slipknot), and some of them have never even heard them before to give them a chance. Yes, i agree the old slipknot was pretty bad, but i think they made a step up with this new album. A lot of people do this with all types of genres, including country, which i myself dont like, but it does happen that when these people actually LISTEN to the music, not hear it, they may actually like it. youll be surprised what your ears actually like.

statutory-rape.jpg

Post_Scriptum said:
Hahahahahaha, thread of the month

THLIPNOT ROX!!!!111!

I noticed you have Gorguts in your sig... great band. Back in 93 Gorguts and "Erosion of Sanity" was one of THE reasons that I got into more extreme stuff. Luc Lemay is a god.

You may return to your Slipknot bashing.

BlessedAreTheSick said:
I noticed you have Gorguts in your sig... great band. Back in 93 Gorguts and "Erosion of Sanity" was one of THE reasons that I got into more extreme stuff. Luc Lemay is a god.
hahahahahah.......way to try and lay down your credibility.........

"I've been in the scene for *this* long. I am true!"

I think it's strange they change from nu-metal to this (whatever they are considered now) as soon as metalcore/hardcore and metal are getting more mainstream success.

Ironic?

Chopstick up the Peehole said:
hahahahahah.......way to try and lay down your credibility.........

Its not about having crediblity, its about defusing useless flame wars. Call me the ambassador of metal love. Besides, I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out the fact that someone can be just a big as fan as you with extreme music and also enjoy other aspects, is there? I know this place is known for being pretty closeminded and gives in to mob mentality as much as hive-mind places like Blabbermouth, but I also know there are fans of true metal that also see the worth in a band like Slipknot. And I also fucking loved earlier Gorguts.

Just because some people, my friend, get obsessed with things like image and hype and let it affect their view of music, doesn't mean it happens to the rest of us.

Really loving this record by the way, have given it a couple more spins tonight and am really impressed with what Rick Rubin got out of them. They definitley tool with things Slipknot have never touched, like acoustic guitars, but I think over the course of 14 tracks, it really fits in well. Its also more extreme in spots than Slipknot have ever been. Check out the track "Three Nil", they use a grindcore blastbeat that could have come straight off a Napalm or Carcass album.

Also I really agree with whoever said something about the stripped down thrash production helping them a lot. I think this is one of the single most important improvements they made. I like the 'clickier' sound on the bass drum this record, just adds a bit more diversity to their sound. I also am accepting Corey's vocals without a problem now, as I had a problem with them when I first heard the early released songs.

And this record doesn't sound like Stone Sour in the least bit by the way, but will inevitably be compared to that band, simply because its slower in parts and people love to throw labels around (i'm not innocent there).

BlessedAreTheSick said:
Its not about having crediblity, its about defusing useless flame wars. Call me the ambassador of metal love. Besides, I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out the fact that someone can be just a big as fan as you with extreme music and also enjoy other aspects, is there? I know this place is known for being pretty closeminded and gives in to mob mentality as much as hive-mind places like Blabbermouth, but I also know there are fans of true metal that also see the worth in a band like Slipknot. And I also fucking loved earlier Gorguts.

Just because some people, my friend, get obsessed with things like image and hype and let it affect their view of music, doesn't mean it happens to the rest of us.

Really loving this record by the way, have given it a couple more spins tonight and am really impressed with what Rick Rubin got out of them. They definitley tool with things Slipknot have never touched, like acoustic guitars, but I think over the course of 14 tracks, it really fits in well. Its also more extreme in spots than Slipknot have ever been. Check out the track "Three Nil", they use a grindcore blastbeat that could have come straight off a Napalm or Carcass album.

Also I really agree with whoever said something about the stripped down thrash production helping them a lot. I think this is one of the single most important improvements they made. I like the 'clickier' sound on the bass drum this record, just adds a bit more diversity to their sound. I also am accepting Corey's vocals without a problem now, as I had a problem with them when I first heard the early released songs.

And this record doesn't sound like Stone Sour in the least bit by the way, but will inevitably be compared to that band, simply because its slower in parts and people love to throw labels around (i'm not innocent there).
Damn right.

BlessedAreTheSick said:
There's nothing wrong with diversity my friend. I grew up listening to nothing but death metal and grindcore, and still enjoy it and many other forms of music today, Cryptopsy or Coldplay, there's nothing wrong with being open minded. Good music is not exclusive to the extreme genre, it only happens to be my favorite genre.

I prefer being close minded. Seriously...and diversity doesn't equal accepting everything as worthy of even being bothered to take a look/listen of it.

Coldplay is bloody shite. I'd much rather keep to my own things and be totally closed to exterior influences. You're talking to someone who's actually a greater jazz fan then a metal fan anyway. I'll take Coltrane, Dolphy, Mingus, Coleman, over any metal... and no, it's not because I'm open minded, that's cause it is absolutely my thing. End of discussion. Open minded people lack substance.