James and everybody else-Who are your main influences?

Fridaythe13th

Time reveals all things..
May 4, 2005
Australia
www.ckymusic.com
So James and my metal friends, who are your main influences in music, or just in life?

Mine would be, James Murphy (My favourite lead guitarist of all time), Chuck Shuldiner, John Frusciante, Deron Miller, Ace Frehley, Mikael Akerfeldt and Paul Masdival. There are WAY too many to name but here are some...

for me, my current style of writing is like a combination of deron miller, allan holdsworth, james murphy, and the man that influences me the most chuck schuldiner.

I just got a hold of the 4 unreleased control denied demos, and Im blown away...they are amazing.....

I hope they werent the "Zero Tolerance" cds, because Chucks mother has said that those had been released without permission and are just a cheap way to earn a quick buck off Chuck. Its a shame someone would lower themselves to that level just for money...

My influences are;

Vai, Satch,Iron Maiden, Megadeth, I have to say metallica cause they were an influence, Meshuggah, Testament, Obituary, Carcass, Arch Enemy, Soilwork, n'flamz, Kiss and a lot of modern progpower bands Symphony X, DT, Evergrey etc but they are more recent

Fridaythe13th said:
I hope they werent the "Zero Tolerance" cds, because Chucks mother has said that those had been released without permission and are just a cheap way to earn a quick buck off Chuck. Its a shame someone would lower themselves to that level just for money...
sadly yes..... I didn't buy it though, someone sent them to me through email.

Justin890 said:
sadly yes..... I didn't buy it though, someone sent them to me through email.

Well, then you didn't really help them make a quick buck off of Chuck then. ;)

I don't believe my playing has developed enough to have any strong influences. I have my favorite players, but you probably wouldn't hear them when I play.

James Murphy's influence is God.

James was talking to God one day:

James: "Hey man... how can I become as awesome as you?"

God: "Play guitar"

James: "Yeah but, where do I start? What do I play?"

God: "Just translate my awesomeness to your guitar playing. Learn every bloody scale and chord shape possible and then think to yourself... What would God play if he would play guitar? And just play that.

James: "Excellent, thanks God!"

God: "No worries"

Chuck Schuldiner (He influenced me totally),James Murphy,Trey Azaghtoth,Kelly Shaefer,Adrian&Dave...etc.These are the names that came to my mind first.

Here's my list in chronological order -

Ace Frehley
Chris Dabaldo
James Hetfield
Jeff and Kerry
Rick Rubin
Dave Mustaine
Scott Ian
Jimmy Page
Chris Long (Santa Barbara local legend)
Eric Petersen/Alex Skolnik
Mille Petrozza
Fleming Rasmussen
Eddie Van Halen (better late than never!)
Marty Friedman
Dimebag
Terry Date
Jerry Cantrell
Chuck Schuldiner
Scott Burns
James Murphy
Bill Steer
Colin Richardson
George Emanuelle III (aka. Trey Azagthoth)
Jack Owen/Rob Barrett
Terence Hobbs
Rob Flynn
Dino Cazares
Head and Munky (yeah, that's right)
Stephen Carpenter
Fredrik Thordendal
Andy Sneap
Jimi Hendrix (better late than never!)
Jeff Loomis (just made the list a week ago...)

Not to mention the various guitarists in the local bands I've worked with over the years. They all influenced me one way or another.

Metal influences:Vivalidi,chopin,paganini,Gambali,holdsworth,Shawn Lane,and Uli Jon Roth.
Metal:The guys from Angra (especially Kiko ),James murphy,Stephan Forte,Victor Smolski,petrucci,chuck schuldiner,Bobby Jarzombek,Richard Christy,Vitalij Kuprij,and Jordan Rudess.

Well I feel slack that all of you did huge lists and I only named afew, so here I go: (In no order)

James Murphy
Chuck Shuldiner
John Frusciante
Randy Rhoads
Ace Frehley
Deron Miller and Chad Ginsberg
Mikael Akerfeldt
Paul Gilbert
Tony Iommi
Glenn Tipton and KK Downing
Kerry and Jeff
Dimebag Darrell
Joe Satriani
Greg Howe
Rob Barrett and Phil Fasciana
Paul Masdival
James Hetfield
Eddie Van Halen
Jason Becker
John Petrucci
Alex Skolnik and Eric Peterson

And many many others...

Mikael Akerfeldt, mainly. His style taught me to play with feeling above all else. I like to push myself technically as much as possible though, so Jeff Loomis has started shaping up as a big influence lately. Can't forget about Jesper Stromblad as well... I love his solos. They're metal solos actually done tastefully, which I find to be something in very short supply.

Kirk Hammet during my formative years - Great player and great solo's up to the black album. I remember nearly wearing my picture disc of Kill 'em all out playing along with it.
Next up was ozzy's men,especially Rhandy Rhoads (Jake E Lee's chops were a little ahead of me back then).
There are so many great players, but for me, the ones that have made me go, "bloody hell, I love his style/writing/performance" have been Alex Scholnick, Paul Gilbert, Vai, Bruce & Rick from Trouble, and Chis Young/Jeff Poland/Mustaine from Megadeth. and then I discovered the Amott/Steer madness in Carcass. That was everything I loved all brought together. Still love it today.

Noteable others are John Fruscante and John Petrucci......etc...

martyfireball said:
Kirk Hammet during my formative years - Great player and great solo's up to the black album. I remember nearly wearing my picture disc of Kill 'em all out playing along with it.
Next up was ozzy's men,especially Rhandy Rhoads (Jake E Lee's chops were a little ahead of me back then).
There are so many great players, but for me, the ones that have made me go, "bloody hell, I love his style/writing/performance" have been Alex Scholnick, Paul Gilbert, Vai, Bruce & Rick from Trouble, and Chis Young/Jeff Poland/Mustaine from Megadeth. and then I discovered the Amott/Steer madness in Carcass. That was everything I loved all brought together. Still love it today.

Noteable others are John Fruscante and John Petrucci......etc...

John Frusciante, nice choice man. :)