James and everybody else-Who are your main influences?

i have so many that i'm just going to randomly pick 10 or so names out of the air.. just whichever ones happen to come to me first.. i may leave some important ones out with this method, so do't take this as my "be all, end all" list:

Tony Iommi
Randy Rhoads
Angus Young
Ace Frehley
Alex Lifeson
Jimi Hendrix
Dave Murray
Gary Moore
Scott Gorham
John Sykes
Allan Holdsworth
Shawn Lane
Scott Henderson
Frank Gambale
Bill Connors
Michael Hedges
John Scofield
Paul Gilbert
Vinnie Moore
Tony Macalpine
Yngwie Malmsteen
Ritchie Blackmore
William Ackerman
Joe Satriani
Strunz & Farah
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Al DiMeola
Brett Garsed
Don Mock
Greg Howe
Scott McGill
Mike Stern
Roy Clark
Chet Atkins
Carl Verheyen
Chris Poland
Eric johnson
Jimmy Herring
Robben Ford
Steve Morse
Larry Coryell
Uli Jon Roth
Jerry Cantrell
Trey Spruance
Joey Tafolla
Marty Friedman
JASON BECKER!
Ron Jarzombek
Ron Thal
Derek Taylor
Scott Stine
Dave Austin (Nasty Savage)
Chris Oliva

ok, that was waaaay more then 10.... so sue me:erk:. And still, i know i left some out....

cheers to all of you who mentioned me... i hope i haven't led you too far astray.

Ah, you wrote Jason Becker in all capitals and gave him an exclamation mark, heh. He was such a great player.

yes... despite the fact that Jason's hands can no longer grasp a guitar neck he remains an extremely inspirational person in my life.... for how he lives his now.

Tommy Emmanuel
Al -=| u know who |=-
Mike Oldfield
Dimebag Darrell
Zakk Wylde
John petrucci -=| only in Liquid Tension Experiment |=-
Shawn Lane
Warren Haynes
Derek Trucks

Hmm, hard to narrow down, but I'll try:

James :)
Criss Oliva
Joe Satriani
Mille Petrossa
Chuck Schuldiner
Randy Rhoads
John Schaffer
John Sykes
Trey Azagthoth
Dave Murry/Adrian Smith
Jeff Loomis
Marty Friedman
Rocky George/Mike Clark
Jim Matheos/Frank Aresti

James Murphy said:
yes... despite the fact that Jason's hands can no longer grasp a guitar neck he remains an extremely inspirational person in my life.... for how he lives his now.

Yeah, Jason was/is inspirational. I almost got teary eyed the other day thinking about him. Actually, the newest news Ive heard about him comes from the Racer X board. Jason's website mentions he wanted to get his guitars back from two guys. Well, someone from the RX board went with his friend to take back the guitar that he had and snapped some pictures and wrote about it.

http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7866

It's about halfway down. Should notice the pictures. He also wrote some more stuff about it on the second page. I commented before, but Jason has always seemed like a class act. He's just a great person, from all Ive seen and heard, including this. Thought I'd share this.

Hey James!

What do you think about this players:
Rory Gallagher
KK Downing
Glenn Tipton
Tommy Vetterli (Tommy T. Baron)
Richie Kotzen
Michael Lee Firkins
John Mclaughlin
??

Regards

there are also another 2 guitarist id like to listen to ...
pete blakk and andy la rocque -=| King Diamond - Conspiracy |=-
really underrated ~!

My two MAIN influences are Alex Skolnick (Testament) and Jeff Waters (Annihilator). I spent 3 years working out Annihilator's entire album collection, and tabs them all out to go on www.annihilatormetal.com, did the alice and neverland solos and am doing the rest at the moment. Took me fucking ages but along the way i picked up a fuck load from Jeff Waters, He's an amazing and HIGHLY underrated guitarist.

EvileOL said:
My two MAIN influences are Alex Skolnick (Testament) and Jeff Waters (Annihilator). I spent 3 years working out Annihilator's entire album collection, and tabs them all out to go on www.annihilatormetal.com, did the alice and neverland solos and am doing the rest at the moment. Took me fucking ages but along the way i picked up a fuck load from Jeff Waters, He's an amazing and HIGHLY underrated guitarist.

sure thing dude !
Jeff rules ...

well you never said they had to be guitarists so......
my biggest influences are
Hanz Zimmer
Janne Warmen
Paul Oakenfold
Bach
George Winston
Yanni
the Ammott brothers
Alexi Liaho
Tuomas from Nightwish
James
that's all I can think for for right now

pyramazekeyboardist said:
well you never said they had to be guitarists so......
my biggest influences are
Hanz Zimmer
Janne Warmen
Paul Oakenfold
Bach
George Winston
Yanni
the Ammott brothers
Alexi Liaho
Tuomas from Nightwish
James
that's all I can think for for right now

did u forget the Abbott brothers ?

L o L ~! said:
did u forget the Abbott brothers ?

No, I've never really gotten into pantera or damage plan, however, I still have a tremendous amount of respect for them and what they have done for Heavy Metal. It is truly a shame what happened to Dimebag.
-jonah

James Murphy said:
yes.. i should also give a nod to my buddy Jeff Loomis... he kicks 6 kinds of ass.

I did not know there was 6 kinds of ass, but if anyone can kick it Loomis sure can!

Someone who is a big influence at the moment is Mattias Ia Eklundh!

Oh and Jason Becker rules, I remember first seeing him with DLR many moons ago...boy he sure could play and what makes him even more special is what he does now, real strengh of charcater just like JFM really.