James Labrie

TychoCelchu

Sep 28, 2004
Boston MA
Great singer.
For years I've been on the JLB-the-weakest-link-in-the-band bus, but I feel like he's been on top of his game big time for the past half-decade or so. As he's getting older, sure maybe he can't get up to the shrill range so much anymore, but neither can a lot of aging singers. It's been very noticeable in, for example, Hansi Kursch this whole decade. It's something you kind of have to accept when you play an instrument that is part of your physiology. Anyways, I was just thinking that I think he's only done a handful of shows in the US supporting Elements of Persuasion, which is a killer heavy album. I wonder what kind of response he'd get at this forum's fest? Granted his record is noticeably less PROG than his main band, but I bet he would still go over well especially considering the much-talked about exclusivity factor. It'd be a killer show with Marco Sfogli and a guaranteed jaw-dropping solo from Mike Mangini if they played in his band. Anyways, just tossing around thoughts. I would totally go to this if it ever happened. Or if he just plain played his own show somewhere in the US some time.

I will say first that I like James and I always have. I don't think however that he get much love around here.

If I were playing JEAPARDY, my response would be:

WHO IS THE MEMBER OF DREAM THEATER WHO IS PREVENTING THEM FROM BECOMING A GREAT BAND?

Sorry, he is a good vocalist but lacks balls and power.

I have never quite understood why people dont like him, wont accept him. He is a very unique singer - I cannot think of anyone that sounds like he does. That is a crucial feature of a vocalist - to stand out on his/her own as the voice of the band. There are a million singers out there that sound just like someone else. LeBrie doesnt. I think he is outstanding. And I am not sure why anyone would say that Dream Theater is somehow 'short' of being a great band. Again, there isnt another band out there that does it like they do. James and the boys were and still are the driving force behind so many bands of our beloved genre. THey inspired an entirely new approach to heavy progressive music, innovating just at the point where bands like Kansas, King Crimson, and Yes left off. It reminds me of those ridicuous discussions where someone says 'thats not metal'. I personally believe that is left up to the person listening to decide.
It is unfortunate that so many musically enlightened souls that appreciate quality music end up becoming less than enlightened by the snobbery that seems to go with it so often. Hey, I am just as guilty as anyone of this, but am always working at trying to stay open and not qualify music based on my own personal tastes. Dream Theater answers to no one, they make the music that they want to make.

I talked to Mike Portnoy about all of this one night. He had said during our conversation that James has taken a lot of shit over the years, but that he is the voice of the band and that is not subject to change. He said that Dream Theater is the perfect balance of chemistry between 6 oustanding musicians, and not one of them takes away or adds anything to that chemistry.
Interestingly enough, Dream Theater closed the forums on their own website due to the constant complaints about their setlists, complaints about the lengths of the shows, complaints about Jordan Rudess, complaints about James LeBrie, and the constant complaints about perceptions of where their musical ideas were coming from record to record. It always blew me away that those that were capable of appreciating the fine musicianship and quality that Dream Theater brings to the world were also so capable of such incredible narrowmindedness. It is, in my mind, a massive contradiction as it takes open mindedness to embrace the entire genre of music that we love so much.

Anyone else ever stop and wonder what Dream Theater would put out if they switched James Labrie with Mike Akerfeldt? I think it would be the most badass shit to ever walk the planet. I'm sure only about 1 other person would agree though...

I always kinda thought that the Labrie knockers were the type of people who would prefer a more heavy style vocalist. I hate the fact that anyone would want a different singer in the band, yes he's had voice problems in the past but I finally got to see them on my last trip to the States and then a few months after in Aus. I think he sounded great live.

I think I would rather see Dream Theater start using an outside producer again and write some tunes that are of a better quality than have appeared on the last 2 albums rather than them change vocalists.

PS-Would love to see Labrie appear at a ProgPower in future. I think he'd go down extremely well.

Jasonic said:
If I were playing JEAPARDY, my response would be:

WHO IS THE MEMBER OF DREAM THEATER WHO IS PREVENTING THEM FROM BECOMING A GREAT BAND?

They're already a great band...they've been on top of the prog metal genre for more than a decade. Labrie helped them get there.

switched James Labrie with Mike Akerfeldt? I'm sure only about 1 other person would agree though...

You're correct.

I think that would suck worse than Motley Crue, Rammstein, and System of a Down combined.

:lol: QFT

mel progson said:
I think I would rather see Dream Theater start using an outside producer again

+1

I think Labrie is fine. I think when he singers in the lower octaves he's great, and that he should generally stay away from the higher ones.

The only 'problem' with Labrie, is that when you think of the great prog bands, you almost always think of the great singers who fronted them. That's not really the case with Labrie.

I talked to Mike Portnoy about all of this one night. He had said during our conversation that James has taken a lot of shit over the years, but that he is the voice of the band and that is not subject to change.

I've used that same 'voice of the band' phrase when talking about this in the past too! It's not that I think JLB is the best singer on earth or anything, but I think he is the best fit for his band and I can't imagine DT without him (I feel the same way about Hansi in BG).

In terms of album production, FII is my personal favorite, but 6DOIT is a mere hair behind it. Both are great sounding albums. (I love the way they 'took a step back' and let Octavarium breathe, too)

James LaBrie,love him or hate him , he is the voice of Dream Theater. I've heard many people give him shit,he sucks,the band needs to....blah blah blah,just remember, Charlie Dominici could still be there...lets talk suck?!! Anybody heard John Arch handle that material back before Images & Words??? John Arch is God,but he wasn't right for DT. James LaBrie is right for them.

James with the Mullmuzzler material would be cool to see in Atl.

Labrie has a breathy, wispy delivery on one end, and a there's-a-note-out-there-somewhere-give-me-a-second-and-I'll-find-it screech on the other.

And not much of a stage presence, either.

Frankly, I always thought he was the weak link in DT.

The only 'problem' with Labrie, is that when you think of the great prog bands, you almost always think of the great singers who fronted them. That's not really the case with Labrie.

Well put.

Bill

Imagine Mike Andersson (Cloudscape) singing for them? He has melody with balls! That would be perfect IMO. Labrie's problem is he has a tendency to sound like he's wining with his vocal lines and all his melodies are starting to sound the same to me! They need to freshen up a bit with a new vocalist but it is HIGHLY unlikely it will ever happen. DT had to drop Charlie to get the ATCO deal to begin with. And the ironic thing is DOMINICI has put out 2 amazing cd's since (the first was "not amazing", hehe)..But the band Solid Vision are behind him and they used to be a DT cover band. I think their 2 cd's with Charlie are better than the last 10 years of DT material.

Imagine Mike Andersson (Cloudscape) singing for them? He has melody with balls! That would be perfect IMO. Labrie's problem is he has a tendency to sound like he's wining with his vocal lines and all his melodies are starting to sound the same to me! They need to freshen up a bit with a new vocalist but it is HIGHLY unlikely it will ever happen. DT had to drop Charlie to get the ATCO deal to begin with. And the ironic thing is DOMINICI has put out 2 amazing cd's since (the first was "not amazing", hehe)..But the band Solid Vision are behind him and they used to be a DT cover band. I think their 2 cd's with Charlie are better than the last 10 years of DT material.

I'm all for keeping LaBrie in DT, but if for some reason he HAD to be replaced, I can think of a couple who I wouldn't mind seeing in that role (though I'd NEVER want to break up their current bands):

Khan
Mike Eriksen of Circus Maximus

Either one would be amazing in DT. But then again, either one would be amazing in ANY band....I just think they'd fit DT pretty well.

I think Labrie is fine. I think when he singers in the lower octaves he's great, and that he should generally stay away from the higher ones.

Agree 100%

I don't think it's a matter of they would be better with someone heavier. I just think he lacks ballz...........

Ever hear their performance of Metallica's Puppets?
Might as well have had the pretty boy from CrapBoard Confessional singing it.

I have never quite understood why people dont like him
It's quite simple really... he has an annoying, whiny voice. He's a talented guy, with a wide vocal range and a fair amount of power. However, I simply find his voice unappealing, especially in the higher range.

And if we're nominating vocalists to replace James, to allow Dream Theater to reach their full potential, I nominate Lance. Instead of being a band I almost never listen to, they'd probably be my favorite band.

Zod