Japanese horror films

Profanity

The Post Master
Jul 3, 2003
Manchester, England, UK
Recently I have been into thiss genre. I used to always avoid horror films after they all follow the same predictable ghosts, stalkers e.t.c. Films like Scream, Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre did little to generate the fear response but after seeing a few Japanese horrors my opinions changed. The Japanese films aren't based on the same worn out predictable techniques but use other techniques which might include gradually unravelling thefear component where you keep discovering strange happenings or by communicating emotion and fear through weird characters. Here are my reviews on some Japanese Horrow films:

THE RING - This chiller is very effective in bringing the fear factor through the use of a supernatural forces. This is a gradual process while a journalist is investigating the video curse. Strange characters are used to keep the fear factor in place and there are enough shocks to get the heart palpitating
- 9/10

THE GRUDGE - IMO this is not as good as a lot of people seem to think. The story of a haunted house which is cursed and people who go their may suffer the curse, although this is less effective because I don't think the build up to the climax is as good as other Japanese horrors. The strange people give more of an idea of weirdness than developing the fear component. Although this is still effective in making you think that a supernatural force may be around you. The boy Toshio keeps you wondering as well.
- 7/10

AUDITION - The best horror film of all time. The story starts off like a love story when a businessman is recently widowed and he then tries to find another partner through an Audition. He thinks he's found the ideal partner but there is something strange about her and as we are learning why, the fear response starts to come on rapidly and when a growl comes from inside a blanket and rolls over while she is in her room, your heart will rage with fear and pump faster than a bullet. Then the fear factor is kept high when he then uncovers what is hiding in the blanket.
- 10/10

PULSE - Who'd have thought a ghost story could be scary? but this film is and achieves that by confronting the issue of death which most people don't want to hear. Discussions about death and lonely images of death help bring out everyones biggest fear.
- 8/10

THE RING 0 - The history of the video curse is very successful in bringing the fear factor through certain characters and through psychological technoques.
- 8/10

THE RING 2 - coming soon

ICHI THE KILLER - Not a horror film but there are certain parts which will shock. This is a psychological thriller which will have you thinking and feeling uneasy. The gangland story is a battle between a sadist who is used as a weapon by a rival gang and a masochist who believes the kidnapped boss is still alive and sets about finding him, featuring scenes of torture and self harm. The psycholgical elements of this film are enough to have you hiding under the cover.
- 10/10

Discuss and please share your views and opinions of the Japanese horror scene.

Reactions: Noble Viking
i love the movie The Grudge... although i didnt really understand the films story... but it was quite creepy.

is this why you have only had sex one time and find most women unattractive unless theyre smoking or wearing tights?

DUDE... I'm a film fanatic, and most of these films suck. Innovative, yes. The japanese versions are FAR better, but the americanized/western garbage that has been drawn from the original are just a far, pathetic cry from the source whence it came. The japanese culture has always been known for their innovative, extremely mindblowing and disturbing horror films. If you want the real good stuff, check out a few good horror animes or the a tangent of that, well actually the animes would be the tangent, but check out some REAL japanese horror flicks. That shit is SICK and TWISTED. If you're look for a rush I reccomend it.

^ I was actually talking about the Japanese versions, not the gay American remakes where they completely miss the point.

In fact i'd give the American remake of The Grudge 0/10, as it was more a comedy than a horror.

they shoot shitty low budged movies here, then send them to japan where they make over $100,000 a piece, and take 2 weeks to shoot.

Some guy drowned early spring trying to pull a rubber shark under water, his oxygene mask failed.

i really dont like the grudge. it scared the shit out of me, and it also dosent help that im scared of the dark and i have an attic door in my room...=-s

The Grudge and The Ring are for pussies. I never even watched the entirety of the ring and i've seen even less of the grudge, both were horrible excuses for films.

ICHI THE KILLER - Not a horror film but there are certain parts which will shock. This is a psychological thriller which will have you thinking and feeling uneasy. The gangland story is a battle between a sadist who is used as a weapon by a rival gang and a masochist who believes the kidnapped boss is still alive and sets about finding him, featuring scenes of torture and self harm. The psycholgical elements of this film are enough to have you hiding under the cover.
- 10/10

Discuss and please share your views and opinions of the Japanese horror scene.

Ichi the killer is an amazing movie by itself, but it doesn't have the elements to make you afraid, i guess people tick off different things, but this one didn't scare me, although a great movie, and i loved the gore and torture!