Jaska or joey?

Corny said:
okay, da hast du Recht, but the drums in that song sound triggered...

The Drum-Solo he played on the last Germany tour in Cologne was not bad, but it wasn't kickass. And I don't say that because he didn't play fast...

So what? Of course it can be triggered. Almost all drummers who play extreme speeds, triggers their drums. They use triggers to get the volume right, because the air doesn't circle that well inside the bassdrum at high speeds.

coolsnow7 said:
Don't go around calling anyone a dumbshit, idiot. I've seen the solos of both Jaska and Joey, Joey can't do much more than some decent double bass. Jaska isn't all that more impressive, but at least he does something. Jaska has more interesting beats, Jaska doesn't wear a mask... I highly doubt there's some amazing technical ability Joey's hiding in his solos, nor is he likely capable of some crazy syncopation. Again, Jaska's not that much better, but the fact remains he's better. What argument can you possibly have for Joey? That wearing a mask is a good thing?

You know, while I'm not the greatest Rush fan, nor am I familiar with Peart's work, I am aware that he's a great drummer. Disregarding his solos momentarily, when you have people like Mike Portnoy doing a Rush tribute, you know you're a good drummer. Danny Carey? You're gonna have to make a better argument than that. The guy's pretty fucking good, but he's certainly no drum god. And which jazz drummers exactly? Give me names, and songs, and solos, instead of trying to sound like some fucking smartass who knows more than anyone else. In fact, you're right - there are plenty of jazz drummers that are playing on a whole different level... though I wouldn't be so sure that it's beyond Peart, after all most of the prog people have formal jazz training, and even if not, they're usually fans. The original Dream Theater met at Berklee, as did Vai and Satriani... Either way, yes, there are plenty of jazz drummers that can play better than anything Peart's shown us - but you probably don't know that, you've probably heard it from someone else. So please, shut the fuck up. And learn English while you're at it...

Oh, and I may as well contribute to the "wanna hear some great drumming?" part of this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca230DXyWqk not great quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjWu9p-GTT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB2Gfy1uVNU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCF2Tst-ohw

1st of all the fact that you even mention Mike Portney in the realms of good drummers shows what a lack of taste you have. 2nd what is the point of me rattling off a whole lot of Jazz drummers? It is a mute point in this thread but just for the record for anyone who is interested, you only need 2 words, Dennis Chambers.

2nd of all, Ever heard of a very highly respected drummer by the name of Stewart Copeland? Drummer for a band by the name of the police? Well, Even he gave props to Joey Jordinson so he can't be that bad a drummer now can he? Jaska is not as good a drummer in any shape or form be it fills, beats, solos or whatever. Obviously it is personal taste as well but I bet if you asked any GOOD drummer they would tell you the same. He is very run-of-the-mill.
I think your under the false impresstion that the more technical you are, the better seen as your talking Vai and Dream Theater etc. Dream Theater are good musicians but they have a lot to be desired when it comes to feel and songwriting etc. This is Where Peart (Peart writes most of Rushes stuff) and Carey both shine. Peart himself has mentioned that Danny Carey is incredible. Could there be any higher praise? I think not!!!!

O and just because you went to Berkley or wherever, doesnt mean your gona be good... Some of the best musicians have had no formal training.. Hendrix anyone? (Satriani, Malmsteen and Vai's idol)

And Im not even gona comment on your retarded comments about "ive probably heard it from someone else" Just makes you look insecure about your facts buddy...

And I always have a laugh when an American tells me to learn English. Im at work so Im in a hurry so forgive my typo's everyone. Im sure it is still readable.

O and have you heard the 2 albums I mentioned? I bet you can't deny the drumming on them.

So basically go and get your facts straight dip shit!!

Benighted1 said:
Dream Theater are good musicians but they have a lot to be desired when it comes to feel and songwriting etc.

I agree here. I think Petrucci is pretty cool to watch play, but I don't like sound of the warp speed shenanigans. I prefer some "worse" guitarists' playing style over some of those with more technical ability.

Benighted1 said:
2nd of all, Ever heard of a very highly respected drummer by the name of Stewart Copeland? Drummer for a band by the name of the police? Well, Even he gave props to Joey Jordinson so he can't be that bad a drummer now can he? Jaska is not as good a drummer in any shape or form be it fills, beats, solos or whatever. Obviously it is personal taste as well but I bet if you asked any GOOD drummer they would tell you the same. He is very run-of-the-mill.

I think your under the false impresstion that the more technical you are, the better seen as your talking Vai and Dream Theater etc. Dream Theater are good musicians but they have a lot to be desired when it comes to feel and songwriting etc. This is Where Peart (Peart writes most of Rushes stuff) and Carey both shine. Peart himself has mentioned that Danny Carey is incredible. Could there be any higher praise? I think not!!!!

Well I have something to say too. Firstly, why do you talk about the most respected and famous drummers? Let's put those aside now and concentrate on the topic at hand. And you just only refer to what some other drummer would or has said. The question is, do you know anything yourself?

And secondly, as I said earlier (please read my other comments on this thread as well), Joey Jordison is one of the most overrated metal drummers. All those kids who listen to Slipknot are like "Joey is the best drummer in the world!", even if they didn't know anything about drums. Starting to get why he is so well-known? You can just look at his solos, there is NOTHING creative there (compare to Jaska's solos).

Go see my other comment in the previous page, where I explained some very nice and good sounding tricks he likes to do often. (There is a link to his new solo). After that, if you still say he is just "run-of-the-mill", then I can just have my doubts on how educated you really are. And in case you didn't know, Jaska is heavily influenced by jazz and jazzdrummers, and you can really hear that.