Jason Suecof 5150 settings

Got this from my Peavey Monitor magazine. Summer/Fall 2007. Volume 24 Issue 2.

"Engineer, Mark Lewis is Suecof's right-hand man for virtually every project that comes through Audio Hammer Studios - which means that he's in charge of dialing the knobs to find the perfect tones. This is one of his favourite setups".

*Picture of a 6505+ from a front on view*

Green channel:

PRE-10
LOW-7
MID-9
HIGH-5
POST-3.3
RES-9.8
PRES-10

*Comments*

"A lot of people don't know this, but we actually use the rhythm channel with these settings and the "crunch" enabled to get some killer lead guitar tones".

Red channel:

PRE-4.7
LOW-8.8
MID-3
HIGH-5.2
POST-3.3
RES-10
PRES-9

*Comments*

"Notice how we keep the gain (4.7) while tracking! That is essential for maintaining clarity, as these amps have such a crazy amount of gain".

"I keep the high knob kind of low (5.2) and the presence almost always high (9) to get those good, chunky rhythms".

"The resonance is almost always maxed out (10) so you get that low-end woof".

"One of the keys to this amp is keeping the presence knob between 8 and 10. That's where the amp really opens up and the bite jumps out at you".

So, there ya go. Hope this helps out.

This thread keeps getting better, thank you for posting. I just tried out a close variant of the green channel settings, without a doubt the best green channel tone I've gotten to date. Used the green channel tone for leads and rhythm here. No I'm not constantly tapping the wrong note, my guitar needs fret work at the higher frets :(

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/Global Warming Test.mp3

This thread should be added to the FAQ (or made a sticky).. great information

thanks!

Does jason uses a ts in front of the amp?

I'm trying these settings with my 6505 and the 1960 fitted with V30's and it sound a little bit harsh using the ts and the presence at 9

You're right, using a Marshall V30 cab Suecof's settings sound a little harsh (I have the same cab) but recently I bought a rectifier cab and this settings work fantastic. I always put a OD808 as a clean boost, to get more pick attack and tighten up the sound.

I suggest roll off the presence to 6-7, maybe 8, using Marshall cabs (1 increment at this point makes a big different, it's the way the amp was design).

You're right, using a Marshall V30 cab Suecof's settings sound a little harsh (I have the same cab) but recently I bought a rectifier cab and this settings work fantastic. I always put a OD808 as a clean boost, to get more pick attack and tighten up the sound.

I suggest roll off the presence to 6-7, maybe 8, using Marshall cabs (1 increment at this point makes a big different, it's the way the amp was design).

you're right, with a roll off to 8 it's sounds more better, also the ts give a little bit of harshness... I'll try to rool off to 7 or 6

Thanks Bassguy! It seems that Jason always use the same settings.

Alb, I like the Marshall V30 cab with the 5150 (I'm using the rectifier right now as main cab, but I know the Marshall very well) and the best settings I tried was Andy's settings. Ver balanced sound.

Thanks Bassguy! It seems that Jason always use the same settings.

Alb, I like the Marshall V30 cab with the 5150 (I'm using the rectifier right now as main cab, but I know the Marshall very well) and the best settings I tried was Andy's settings. Ver balanced sound.

You mean this?

Lead channel
Pre 11 oclock
Low 1 oclock ish
Mid 9 oclock ish
High 11.30ish
Post 9.30, 10 oclock
Res 2 oclock
Pres 3 o clock

Tube screamer
Drive 9 oclock
Tone 11 oclock
Level 12 o clock

I find it a little bit mid focused, and yes less harsh than jason's settings (using the marshall cab)

these settings are a great starting point :headbang:

Care to elaborate more on this?

The reason I ask is because I've never heard such a thing aside from parallel comp.

He duplicated the guitar track and ran both tracks through the console. Then did all the eq on the second track (paralel track) and blended it underneath the original guitar track. Nothing crazy.

He duplicated the guitar track and ran both tracks through the console. Then did all the eq on the second track (paralel track) and blended it underneath the original guitar track. Nothing crazy.

Kinda that...
Except for the duplicate track... It's simply what most modern "AE" forgot/don't know and it's call a mult.
Busse a track pair to an outboard eq/comp (done via the routing matrix)that return on an other pair of channels. Like busses send to an aux in PT.

Mikaël-ange;10463246 said:
Kinda that...
Except for the duplicate track... It's simply what most modern "AE" forgot/don't know and it's call a mult.
Busse a track pair to an outboard eq/comp (done via the routing matrix)that return on an other pair of channels. Like busses send to an aux in PT.

You're just being pretentious and arguing semantics at this point; mult is just sort for multiply and multiply = duplicate for all intents and purposes.

You're just being pretentious and arguing semantics at this point; mult is just sort for multiply and multiply = duplicate for all intents and purposes.

You are free to understand that the way you want but my "pretentious" post was here for point out one thing: mult a track on a board isn't the same thing as split out both same track on a pair of channels.

Sorry to say this but learn ssl signal flow next time:D

What Joshua Wickman described is split out same track on a channel pair (same raw track).

Mult a track to a busse and returning to a channel take signal pre/post fader, but most importantly post dynamic/insert point/eq.

Split out>raw track
Mult> processed track

Same difference as sending to an aux or duplicate track in PT...

Mikaël-ange;10463345 said:
Split out>raw track
Mult> processed track

Same difference as sending to an aux or duplicate track in PT...

If I send a track/channel to a Aux and then back to a new track/channel its no different sound wise than just duplicating the track Protools.

I guess i'm confused at what your going on about.