Jealousy...

TyrantOfFlames

Of Chaos and Order
Sep 3, 2001
Tralfamador
Visit site
I don't know how many of you guys write music, or even play an instrument...I would assume, based on experience, that most of you do play an instrument and alot write: Opeth lovers love music.

To the point: Every time I put in Morningrise or Still Life, or hell any Opeth, I think to myself, "Damn, I wish I wrote that!" :mad: followed by "Damn I wish I could write like that," which eventually leads to thoughts that I will never match up to Opeth. I know equalling Opeth isn't the point of writing, but whenever I write music, I can't help but think to myself, upon playing it back, that Opeth is still better. Like I said, I understand that that isn't the point, but it is definitely discouraging. But at least there is something to aspire to, a role model, if you will. Hell, I won't deny it; my singing sounds more and more like Mikael Akerfeldt's every day. I never realized, before Opeth, how much having emotion in a voice matters. I will never sing emotionless again. :D

What I find an even harder art to master, though, is putting emotion into instrumental music. Mikael and Peter write it as if it's easy to come by, but then that's how mastery is truly shown: in the appearance of simplicity, "See, it's not so hard!" I guess I am guilty of the sin of envy. Thank you, Opeth, infinitely, for such beauty to envy!

Back to the point.

So do any of you feel embarrassed about the stuff you write when you listen to Opeth? Or at least very influenced by them in what you write? Feel free to respond to anything I said.

Kudos.

The music I write on the guitar (as opposed to piano-based music) is probably influenced by Opeth. I cannot compare complete compositions to Opeth's ones - I would never structure my songs like that, even if I like how Opeth does it.
But actually, I found some of the individual riffs I wrote to be on par with the level of Orchid/Morningrise, (maybe a naughty claim, and you may discard it since I cannot prove it for now by showing you my music, but maybe soon) but not quite as good as the last 3 albums.

----------------------------------
NP: Gentle Giant - Octopus

*GASP!--biggest bump in history*

I don't get jealous of Opeth when I write, because I write in a completely diferent style, and about different things.

Damnit, just today is the perfect day for me to stumble upon this thread. I have been trying to desperately learn more Opeth songs in a feeble attempt at maybe coming closer to understanding how they make EVERY FUCKING SONG SO FUCKING EXCELLENT!!!??? It seems like they can give off any emotion with their fucking guitars, and I want to be able to do that as well, but it's just so frustrating, because I always compare my music to Opeth's, and mine is just shit compared to theirs, and it just makes me throw out riff after riff......fuck....Im going to sleep.

I think I'm getting to the point where I'm pretty happy with most things I write. Although they have such great talent, I'm more jealous that they get to go on stage in front of so many people and play those awesome songs!

yes, i write music. no, i don't feel any discouragement when i compare my music to opeth's. it took years of listening and practice to reach a comfortable level of self expression.

I don´t feel frustrated. I try to analyse the structures of Opeth songs and learn from that how to compose my own songs. It´s all about dynamics. What kind of riff follows that riff etc.. My problem is that when I write songs - I make them too complicated.

Definitely. But the things I write I don't give up on because they don't match up with Opeth, moreso because they don't even match up with bands that I think suck. Ive given up on trying to write songs and just play whatever comes up

Occultor said:
Everytime I hear Niklas Sundin play guitar i think: "Damn, I wish I could play like that" :)

:kickass: hell yea. I know exactly what you mean. Especially when I hear that
'white noise black silence" and the crazy guitars in "hours passed in exile"
\m/ Dark Tranquillity \m/

After spending many of hours listening to Opeth and studying how they write long pieces, I finally wrote a 9 minute song and even ripped off a riff of White Cluster.

The only guitarist that ever made me NOT want to play guitar was Joe Satriani...I saw him in concert and lost all hope.

KTR83 said:
It´s all about dynamics. What kind of riff follows that riff etc.. My problem is that when I write songs - I make them too complicated.
Yeah, I make my songs really complicated as well. To the point where they end up sounding like the style that Crimson was written in, with a new riff every 30 or so seconds. I just never run out of ideas, so I keep adding different parts.

the only way i can keep trying to write music is by thinking and imagining my own path. My path may be similar to other's music every now and then, but that doesn't matter, as long as my path is balanced and complete. The only way I dont throw my guitar down and fall into depression is by not comparing. It only matters that I know theres something inside that I can work on creating outside. It only matters that it is mine, and for all I care, there may or may not be other bands in existance.